Serum - new synth from Xfer Records - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 30-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Serum - new synth from Xfer Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
I downloaded the demo, and this certainly feels biased towards EDM. If some people would be willing to post audio demos of stuff that's as far removed from EDM as possible with this thing, it'd be neat. I had trouble dialing organic tones in, but I'm sure they are possible. At least if you meddle directly with the waveforms.

That being said, as far as EDM sounds go, this is really straightforward and powerful. Good workflow, too. If I wanted to make EDM, I'd buy this right now.
I've been making ambient and noise with that demo since I downloaded it. Not a single EDM sound came out of that thing so far for me

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Evelon (30-09-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #22
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Has anybody else used the demo on WXP? The file browser that prompts me to find the Serum Presets folder literally only opens the folder on XP and won't let me select it. I've tried everything to get it to select and it won't. Why the fuck didn't they just make it pick up on its own presets folder, or maybe not require that folder for the damn demo to run?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #23
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts

Everyone seems to be going nuts about this synth everywhere, and I'm just here like, "Hey guys, I just got Basic a little while ago, it's really cool for throwing together a nice bass or lead really quick."

(There should really be a general thread for talking about new plugin releases and whatnot at some point. To just throw out thoughts on stuff that doesn't really need its own thread.)

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #24
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Hey, look! Waves want in on the Serum love.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 04:22 AM   #25
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184210
Thanked 3,684 Times in 2,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
It's awesome! Love it!
Yeah, the presets are all EDM focused, since Steve Duda asked 7skies, Adam Szabo, CFA Sound, ASL Soundlab, etc (who all make EDM presets) to make the factory presets. And now Vandalism, etc are about to release presets, so yeah - it's alot of that sound popping up now.
It's capable of alot more than that tho.

edit: If you like Serum, also check out the free Audjoo Helix VSTi (vector synth by another, swedish, develeoper).
Like, totally forgot to check this one out..and when I just did, it says it's $75..and even the free demo has restrictions..you know, the usual audio dropout / white noise kind of thing and detune. Still...might look at it some more.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #26
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Has anybody else used the demo on WXP? The file browser that prompts me to find the Serum Presets folder literally only opens the folder on XP and won't let me select it. I've tried everything to get it to select and it won't. Why the fuck didn't they just make it pick up on its own presets folder, or maybe not require that folder for the damn demo to run?
I don't know about the demo and I'm running Serum on W7 - but in my experience Duda gives really fast, friendly and helpful feedback to questions in the Xfer forums or via email. I think there is a general forum you can access without being an Xfer customer (the VST-specific forums need registration).

That said, Serum is great for all kinds of sounds imo, but I mainly use it for bass, lead and fx sounds, since I don't want to use it for everything all the time (anymore) However, I made a [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
a while ago only using Serum and some additional FX plugins and it was a lot of fun to use Serum exclusively (but I had to bounce stuff all the time, since complex patches can lead to a high CPU load), and I also made some [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Really love that synth.

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #27
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Like, totally forgot to check this one out..and when I just did, it says it's $75..and even the free demo has restrictions..you know, the usual audio dropout / white noise kind of thing and detune. Still...might look at it some more.
Just googled it out of interest and it seems the last free beta version is from 2008. You can still find it online, just look for "Audjoo-Helix-2008-04-13". Downloaded it but didn't try it so far - I'm a bit tired of bridging these old plugs to 64bit...

------------------
Thanks to Metaside
A.M (20-11-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #28
Beven
Learning The Ropes
Beven will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I absolutely love Serum, such a versatile synth. I think one of the best things about it is the visual feedback that you get. Recreated a BoC Roygbiv lead on it the other day, which I may share in the tutorial section at some point.
Beven is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #29
kurasshu
Minor Glitch
kurasshu will become famous soon enough
Brandenburg
MC Status: 60

Jeah i use Serum for Drums and Synth Sounds in my Tracks, realy love it but i'm looking for other wavetable Synths.
kurasshu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #30
Metaside
Soundscaper

We have all been waiting for a long time, but, finally, the new update for Xfer Records Serum is available featuring the full GUI rewrite and some other changes.

This post is just FYI in case you missed it - I didn't have any time to play around with it so far. Also, it needs the new "Skin" folder to work and there might be some bugs according to the Xfer forums (graphics and more), so be careful when you update.

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to Metaside
A.M (17-06-2017)