**OUT NOW** IDMf044 Nyul - When the Path Fades
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 17-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Benwaa
**OUT NOW** IDMf044 Nyul - When the Path Fades

The IDMf netlabel is proud to present When the Path Fades, a dark and compelling EP by Nyul
Guitars and pianos play wistful melodies behind haunting ambient tones. The EP contains no percussion, an artistic choice that would leave a lot of music sounding empty and directionless in its pace and rhythm, but works brilliantly for Nyul. Nothing is missing. Every sound and every note serves a purpose.

The music inspires a lot of imagery, partially through its attention to detail. A distant whistle behind a growling bass, noises with timbres that subtly change, all add to the nuances of the picture that is painted.

At times powerful and dramatic, at times minimal, calm, melancholy and sometimes totally still, When the Path Fades is beautiful in its melancholy. Dropping hints of post-rock onto a bed of dark and ambient electronica, it feels almost orchestral in its outlook.

Tracklist:

1. When the Path Fades 02:05

2. Water 05:44

3. ~ 05:19

4. There Is Not Enough Happiness For Everyone In This World 07:14

5. Floatfall 05:26

Credits

released 18 August 2014
Netlabel organized by the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
community

All tracks written & produced by Nyul
Mastered by Mike Watts
Artwork by Faktori - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Layout - Scyn

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,903 Posts
Re: **OUT NOW** IDMf044 Nyul - When the Path Fades

Got to hear this a few weeks ago. Happy to see it out. Great release, weird as fuck... Mean that in a good way
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
Nyul (18-08-2014)
Old 18-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Great release everyone and congratulations again to @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
;. Not that it's a contest but Floatfall wins the album in my book. Fantastic piece for a fantastic record from a fantastic artist.

So, tell us a bit about the making of this...

What was the inspiration / motivation?
Was it your intention to make a record when you started?
How long did it take you?
Did you primarily use the setup you have pictured in the "Pictures of..." thread or did it change at all over the course of production?
What is the primary thing that you feel you're trying to communicate to the listener via these tracks?
Do you have a favorite?
And how did Mike come to master this?

Inquiring minds want to know all this, or I do at least, and anything else that can shed a little light on what's behind this release.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Nyul (18-08-2014)
Old 18-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts

Freakin' sweet.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Nyul (18-08-2014)
Old 18-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

80% of my Facebook friends are from IDMf already but, for the 10 or so that aren't, this has just been shared.

------------------
Old 18-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Thanks guys!

That's a ton of questions RFJ
I'll answer them later when I've got more time (probably tomorrow). Those are good questions so I want to give good and clear answers.

I'm open to all questions/comments btw

~~~

I'd like to thank/mention a couple of people without whom this release wouldn't be like it is now:

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Mike mastered my tracks and I couldn't be happier with it. I was already satisfied with how the tracks sounded before (otherwise I would've never called them finished) and he just made it better in so many ways.
Yeah, it was really cool when I got them back.

made the artwork and I also couldn't be happier with how that turned out. I shared my music and some of my thoughts behind it and he came back with this amazing and fascinating piece.
And the layout by @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
complemented it perfectly making it a solid albumcover.

Thanks guys, thank you for helping me make this a solid release.

and the IDMf Netlabel: the releases of the netlabel have always inspired me, every release has his own unique feel and it's truly an honour to be featured next to these inspirations. Thank you

The community: it's thanks to you mad cunts that I made this music. Seriously, I've been on this place for like 2-3 years now and I've learned so much about both the technical side as the non-technical side of music. It's thanks to all of you that I encountered different kind of electronic music and learned so much of making music.
Thanks, IDMf is a pretty cool place

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
MC Status: 272295370
Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,571 Posts

Massive congrats on the release, Nyul. I'm really excited about this. Have snatched and plan to get into this later into the night.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
Ben Steed is an art beacon, a lighthouse of abundant radiance shining on the dark corners of the world.
Yeah, but he needs to rock out more.
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Trusty Steed
Nyul (18-08-2014)
Old 18-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

just wanted to say that "water" is excellent.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to gbsr
Nyul (18-08-2014)
Old 18-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Congrats on the release Nyul.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Nyul (19-08-2014)
Old 18-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Congrats. Just downloaded and burned a CD for my drive around town.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Nyul (19-08-2014)
Old 18-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Nice release yo...damn there's so much music to catch up on around here. Really enjoying what I'm hearing so far, but ima sucker for anything with piano in it . Downloaded and ready for the weekend / the next rainy day.

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
Nyul (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388249
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts

Grabbing this now

Got some other things to grab too, I'm so slack

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
Nyul (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

the second half of "There's not enough happiness..." is pretty powerful stuff. hit me right in the feels.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
Nyul (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

Okay, I've written some answers...
Feel free to ask a clarification if something isn't clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
What was the inspiration / motivation?
My original motivation to make this record came out of frustration with myself: I was always busy with music, thinking about potential tracks and working on potential riffs, but I never did anything with it. I always thought of things I could perhaps do, but I never went through with them. This was because I didn't consider myself 'good enough' yet.
I was stuck for months thinking of things I could perhaps do, once I'm 'good' enough...

Until one day I said "fuck this" and decided to just do it. You can only learn from trying right?
I collected the ideas I thought were worth working on and limited myself to those 5 ideas until I finished the release. I dropped all expectations: I would just make whatever I wanted, without considering how cool it was or what it would end up being.
I quickly noticed how free this felt: it's great to make whatever feels right, without obligations. Once I got started I was motivated to complete this and kept on working.

My inspiration for this record is quite simple: me. During the making of my EP I lived day in day out with these tracks, they became the soundtrack of my life.
I had the habit to work on tracks in the evening/night and to put them on my iPod afterwards. The next day I would re-listen them while walking around to or from classes, this allowed me to continuously 'check' if I still liked what I was doing. When I was back home I improved it a bit more, tweaking it bit by bit.
So my inspirations are basically how I felt. Over time the tracks formed themselves to my emotions and thus effectively became a 'soundtrack' of my life.

Quote:
Was it your intention to make a record when you started?
Yeah, definitely. I picked those 5 ideas and set myself to complete them as one whole release. I came up with the flow I wanted to create quite soon and I've followed that concept until the end.
I never expected to be released under the IDMf Netlabel though

Quote:
How long did it take you?
The sudden change in mentality happened in January, I effectively started working on the EP from the beginning of February. It was finished in May when I made the final mix in the Audiolab (a studio I hired for a couple of hours). So 3-4 months.
This isn't completely correct though as all the tracks have a long history. When I started working on the EP I already had these basic ideas that I collected over the years. The oldest one being tilde '~' of which the piano riff is from my second track ever (about 3 years old). The newest idea was Floatfall, which was a very recent thing I was playing with.
Some ideas were already quite solid, I already had the whole arrangement for Water for example. Others were still pieces I somehow had to fit into each other, like TINEHFEITW.

Quote:
And how did Mike come to master this?
Well, that's kind of due to my impatience

After I finished my EP (in May) I submitted my tracks to the IDMf gmail under the motto "you can't lose by trying right?". Benwaa responded fast and said he'll get back to me in two weeks.
2-3 weeks later I sent a follow-up asking if he had checked them out. A couple of weeks later I still didn't get a response so I figured my material wasn't suited for the label (which is what I thought from the beginning tbh, an EP without drums on a IDMf... ).

So I went ahead and started organizing it myself. I didn't want to let it drag too long, I just wanted to get them out there as soon as possible (but with a proper release ofc). So I contacted Mike and asked if he was interested in mastering. And he was
Why Mike? Well I liked what he was doing with the AEP releases, he obviously knows what he is doing and (as a bonus) makes music with a very similar atmosphere ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is amazing).

A couple of days later Benwaa suddenly sent me an e-mail with a little surprise... we let Mike continue mastering as he was doing a damn fine job.

Quote:
Inquiring minds want to know all this, or I do at least, and anything else that can shed a little light on what's behind this release.
I'm happy to, I'm open to all questions.

I'll answer the other questions a bit later

------------------
Old 19-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Thanks Nyul, I love the insight. Your work becoming your own soundtrack is something I can very much identify with. After reading all that I do have one more question about the studio space you rented for the mixdown...

I take it that being as you would write then listen away from your workspace later on that many issues in the mix were sorted out due to the 2nd or 3rd system checks. How much work had to be done once you got it into the studio and heard it in a proper room with quality monitoring?

No need to rush me an answer, just whenever you have the time.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
Nyul (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #16
Nyul

Quote:
What is the primary thing that you feel you're trying to communicate to the listener via these tracks?
Well this EP is made for me in the first place, so nothing actually.
I never thought about communicating certain concepts, for me it was just about making the music that I wanted to make. About expressing my own emotions for myself.
There are a lot of concepts and feelings attached to the music for me, each track has its own set of thoughts I link with them. So the release contains a concept, but only for me. It is not my intention to share that specific concept with my listeners.

Instead, all I want is to share this music, which contains a certain flow of emotions. What these emotions mean, how they fit together is something the listener should define for themselves.
It's basically a blank slate on which the listener can write his own story.

So if someone sends me that they liked my EP because it made them feel a certain way, then that's cool, that's all I want.

Quote:
Do you have a favorite?
Hmm, not really, I like every track. They all mean a lot to me in their own specific way, every track has had their own window in time in which I solely focused on it. I work on a track until I like every aspect of it, until I don't want to change anything anymore. So every track is a kind of 'me'.
I also prefer to listen to them all after each other, they are one tight collection in my mind. The end of one track naturally feels like the beginning of the next one.

I have a couple of specific moments that I really like how they turned out though, like the de-tuning delays in TINEHFEITW (that tracktitle is way too long to write out every time ).
I was really getting into the Simple delay effect of Live: it's great to add a wide delay, but it's even more fun to mess with really short delay times.
The squeaky pads that fade-in at 05.03 are affected by a very short delay (~20ms I think) with high feedback, creating very weird alternating noises. I just love how they sound so irregular.
The harsh distorted sound you hear when the track fades out is created by putting two simple delays in series after each other, both with short delay times (~80ms) and very high feedback (~90%). The sounds that came out of that thing were incredible and totally unexpected

There are a lot of small things that I really like how they turned out, like in Water at 03.57 that high sound that 'flies by'. A lot of little details were happy accidents that I refined a bit and I just love focusing on them every time, they are all little imperfections I've grown completely familiar with.

Quote:
Thanks Nyul, I love the insight. Your work becoming your own soundtrack is something I can very much identify with. After reading all that I do have one more question about the studio space you rented for the mixdown...

No need to rush me an answer, just whenever you have the time.
I'll answer the studio/workflow questions later/tomorrow. I uploaded some screenshots in the 'post your screen'-thread though, might be interesting
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

These questions are great btw, thank you! I hope I can give some useful answers

------------------
Old 20-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #17
Nyul

Quote:
Did you primarily use the setup you have pictured in the "Pictures of..." thread or did it change at all over the course of production?
I assume you mean [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
?
Not at all actually, during the making of my EP the only constant in my setup was my laptop and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(yeah, that's right this EP was not made on monitors but on 80 euro headphones).
Most work was done with software, I only hooked up my audio-interface when I needed to record a specific sound.

I used a lot of software because it fits perfectly with my workflow: it allows me to continuously tweak bits until it sounds exactly as I want. For me, making a track is not about that one burst of inspiration, it's a long journey (spanning weeks) of tweaking what you have until it's exactly what you want. This is very easy to do with software (thanks to automation) but not with hardware.
I actually found hardware recordings to be very limiting. I like to create a constant movement through my track, elements loop but never sound exactly the same. If I wanted to do this with external hardware (like my bass guitar for example) I would have to record the perfect take in one go, this is especially hard if you're not sure yet how the track will progress. Once it's recorded you can't change it anymore, it is not possible to change the strumming or the notes of a recorded track. It's frozen in place and I don't like that.

So [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
you'll notice that most tracks are midi tracks (especially the core elements). Recorded tracks were made later in the process (to fill-up a bit) or have a central role (which makes them unmissable).

Plugin-wise I used almost only Live built-in plugins combined with a couple of free ones.
Operator (a 4 oscillator FM synthesizer) is my go to sound source and my most used effect is probably Simple delay (a simple stereo delay). Other unmissable devices were the M4L LFO-device and EQ8 of course.
I especially like how it's very easy to stack effects in Live: you can combine a lot of small blocks to create the sound exactly as you want it and still have a decent overview.
A couple of non-Ableton plugins I used were: TAL-Chorus, FreeverbToo and GSinth2.

Quote:
I take it that being as you would write then listen away from your workspace later on that many issues in the mix were sorted out due to the 2nd or 3rd system checks. How much work had to be done once you got it into the studio and heard it in a proper room with quality monitoring?
Mixing for me is something I do very intuitively. I've read some texts on how you should use mixing effects, I keep that in my mind but I usually just follow my intuition. I picked up a couple of 'rules' by hanging out with you guys but I also 'break' them whenever I feel it might sound better.
Mixing happens on the go, I design sounds based upon what purpose they have and I tweak them until I like how it fits in the overall picture. If I don't like it at a later stage I'll just tweak it some more, which is very easy thanks to software.
A lot of notes for myself were about certain elements not sounding 'right' yet (a bit too sharp, a bit too wide etc), by always re-listening to my tracks I could pick up every imperfection and fix them over time.

Re-listening to my tracks away from my workspace actually happened with the same headphones (my trusty old pair ), so I used just one sound system. I've used this pair for 3-4 years now though and I listen music with them day in day out. So yeah, I guess I am quite used to them.

Re-listening in a different environment really helps to get a better view of what you're doing though. When you work in your DAW you have this visual structure in front of you: you see your track as a collection of clips divided in different sections. When you re-listen outside you only hear a single stream of sound. This helped me to create very flowing music (which is quite important for me).
Also hearing your tracks in a different environment really helps you to re-think them: how you experience music depends on how you feel and what you experience around you (visually and physically). Hearing it in a different way helps me to pick up different things.
When I re-listened I also sandwiched them between inspiring records like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
So yeah, re-listening is quite an important part of my process. That would be my tip to anyone making music: go for a walk, listen to what you're actually making and write down what you think.

After I finished all the tracks, I wanted to check everything a last time in a professional environment. It's not that I didn't trust my headphones, I know them inside-out, but I was afraid the low-end wasn't totally neutral and wanted to do a final check.
So I hired this studio, the Audiolab, for 4 hours. I've posted a blurry picture here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I was surprised with how good the monitors sounded (never used monitors before): the bass was present but not overwhelming and everything just sounded wider and kind of more open. Not sure how I should describe it but it was a very nice experience.
When I listened to my tracks I was overwhelmed by how good they sounded, it was amazing to hear my tracks in such detail.
I did not have to do a lot of tweaking, I fixed the bass a bit (they were a bit loud and messy) and EQ'd some details I didn't hear before. I was actually afraid the mix would be quite bad and that I would need multiple sessions to fix it, but that was not the case.
I'm not saying my mix is perfect (if that is even possible), but it sounds 'right' and exactly like I want it to sound.
After I made these final tweaks my EP was done, I rendered the tracks and closed the project files.

Last edited by Nyul; 20-08-2014 at 07:24 PM..

------------------
Old 20-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #18
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

A final word of thanks to you Nyul for the fantastic insight on everything that lies behind your release, really enjoyed reading all of that over the last couple of days. Wish Q & A's like that happened more often actually. With the ease of which they can be accomplished it's a shame they don't.

Of all the things you said I think it is this one line I identified with the most...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyul View Post
For me, making a track is not about that one burst of inspiration, it's a long journey (spanning weeks) of tweaking what you have until it's exactly what you want.
I would very much like to have something to jam around on and scratch out ideas. But, I think the process of trackmaking will always be similar for me, to the way in which you describe it is for you in the quote above.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and congrats again on your release.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
Nyul (21-08-2014)
Old 21-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #19
Nyul

Quote:
A final word of thanks to you Nyul for the fantastic insight on everything that lies behind your release, really enjoyed reading all of that over the last couple of days. Wish Q & A's like that happened more often actually. With the ease of which they can be accomplished it's a shame they don't.
It was a pleasure, you've asked really good questions. Thank you for that
I'd love to see more listener - artist interaction. These are things I often wonder about: why do artist make the music they do? Why do they share it? How did they feel when they made it and what do they want to communicate? Similar for the listeners: how do they feel due to the music and what does it mean for them?
Everyone interprets music differently and I would love to see more discussions on this kind of stuff.

Thank you for checking out my release everyone, I hope you've enjoyed it!
Cheers

------------------
Old 24-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
essenthy
essenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MC
Tokyo-3
MC Status: 19518492

really well done EP, it feel consistent overall, loved Floatfall

Advertisements

------------------
essenthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to essenthy
Nyul (24-08-2014)