What's the best production tip(s) you've learned/discovered so far? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #41
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: What's the best production tip(s) you've learned/discovered so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeboo View Post
Why is that? You mean auto make-up I suppose?
That's right, auto make up. Very uncool and sets a bad example to underage children who might be passing by. Good compression starts at a very early age. If kids haven't mastered gain structure by about four or five, they are pretty much fucked for life. There's no amount of Google that can save them.

One tip I can give you is to play vinyl when kids are around. It will instantly make any of their musical output in later life sound heaps better.

Also, get them on the modular system as soon as the patch cables no longer constitute a choking hazard.

This is the truth about raising analog children in a digital age.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Muse-ic (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #42
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

dont layer for the sake of layering learn the tools you have at your disposal (vstis plugins etc) and soon creativity and sample placement will outshine.
joem is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #43
juabelhernandez
Radial Developer
juabelhernandez has a spectacular aura aboutjuabelhernandez has a spectacular aura about
New Jersey
MC Status: 160

do it for the love of music...and spend as much time a day mastering your craft...learn as much as you produce as well...keep learning
juabelhernandez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #44
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

Be wary of what notes are being overlapped by another. There is no need for that.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:51 AM   #45
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
That's right, auto make up. Very uncool and sets a bad example to underage children who might be passing by. Good compression starts at a very early age. If kids haven't mastered gain structure by about four or five, they are pretty much fucked for life. There's no amount of Google that can save them.
Ah ok, i agree with auto makeup, but the normal makeup gain knob you dial in manually to compensate for the gain reduction is nothing wrong with afaik.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to steeboo
Jaded (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #46
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

More is less

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #47
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
One of the best things I've learned for getting a good mix is simply don't over process things. Only eq where you need to, don't compress too much unless it's beneficial to the sound you're trying to achieve. And so on for everything, including layers and tracks in a project.
Simply put, less is more
Pretty much this when I just started out. I didn't fully understand the concept of it as much as I've read a lot of articles or guides on mixing. But hours of trial and error made me realized a lot of things in the end.

On top of that I've pretty familiar with most of the frequency ranges by ear now. Very happy that things are progressing for me.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #48
Ed Nomi
Analog Lurker
Ed Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud of
Antwerp
MC Status: 1310

The best tip I can think of would be that Experience is the key to making good productions!

You need to learn how your audio interface/monitors sound and compare to other systems,
learn how to use the tools you have and learn how to get the most out of them,
read topics on production, watch tutorials,...

And don't be afraid of stepping away from using a bunch of loops that already sound great and already define how your production is sounding.
Just begin from scratch, first it will sound like utter crap but in a while it will get better, more advanced en after a few years you'll make great songs and the best thing about that will be you made them from scratch.

I'm not against using loops but it seems that lots of people don't know the basics of production and spend their production time scrolling through loops and presets instead of making music...
Ed Nomi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ed Nomi
Nystagmus (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #49
briansone
Learning The Ropes
briansone is currently spamming hard
Sydney
MC Status: 10

Perfection is in the detail, & don't be lazy...

Know/find out & apply as many techniques as you need to use but no more. eg for a melodic breakdown if you're after a 'dreamy' effect, soften the attacks of instruments & drums, drop some beats slightly later than on grid, more reverb, slower portamento, longer notes.... you can quantify art if you look closely enough
briansone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #50
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420

My biggest time and head ache saver: CAREFULLY and deliberately choose all of your samples and patches so that they mesh well and compliment each other. I wasted so much time in my early years of producing trying to "fix" and eq sounds in tracks so that they don't sound like crap, when all I really needed to do was spend a little more time up front finding the right sound . That goes for crappy and low quality drum samples, instruments that conflict frequencies, sucky patches, sucky VSTs, etc. No amount of EQ and processing will fix crappy sound. Actually one of the reasons that I moved on from Reason was that I was spending too much time trying to get the sound I was looking for with their instruments. Finding more VSTs that had more of the sound I was looking for helped out a lot.

Also: making full use of the stereo spectrum. Smart and frugal

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to strkssinthes
Nystagmus (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #51
MichaelMartin
Regular Freak
MichaelMartin is currently spamming hard
Denver Colorado

TUNE YOUR KICK!!! and low cut everything that isn't your kick

MUD HAPPENS and it sucks
MichaelMartin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 AM   #52
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684405

Most of them have already been mentioned, but one problem I faced as a novice was avoiding certain aspects of the writing process, like arrangement and programming drums, but for the last year I have faced them dead on, to the point of almost obsession, and now I feel more than adequate in all those areas I once avoided. Don't run from your weaknesses!

The biggest one, JUST PRODUCE, constantly, stop reading so much. You WILL get better. Stay in the game, listen to tons of music you love, try to sound like that (not a copy, but mixing wise), hell even start out straight up copying a track, if you are at all talented and inspired, it will end up being something completely unique, but that initial novelty was enough to get your ass in gear.

I also just figured out this tiny, practical little tip though, and thought you guys might find it interesting. Know when you are A/B'ing a very subtle effect and can't quite tell if you actually like the change, or if you are subconsciously convincing yourself you like it, well, you can see that you are turning that effect on or off visually. So, now try closing your eyes, and hitting the on/off button a bunch of times at random. With your eyes still closed, having not kept track how many times you hit the button, you now sincerely don't have a clue whether its on or off, now use JUST your ears to decide, keeping your eyes closed.

trickery!!

Edit: get a Maschine. Not before you're ready, only once you are over the learning curve of your chosen DAW, but seriously it was the biggest game changer for my workflow yet. Things are fun, natural, intuitive again. The opposite of tedious, and music happens quickly, keeping you inspired

Last edited by Deep Dose; 04-07-2014 at 04:17 AM..
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Deep Dose
Muse-ic (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 AM   #53
Effulgence
Sample Destroyer
Effulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MC
Boulder, CO, USA
MC Status: 2593405

Some awesome tips in here.

I'd say staying simple with the arrangement in the beginning. It's so easy to get all caught up on the technical shit when you should be WRITING. I always start with broad strokes and then slowly paint the details later.

------------------
Effulgence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #54
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

- Quitting all preset use and actually learning stuff
- Quitting straightforward sampling and learning how to get creative
- Designing source sounds separately from the context of a song
- Using master bus effects only AFTER I've written the song
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #55
DoctaMario
Soundscaper
DoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MC
Ca$hville, TN
MC Status: 447799

Listen to your mixes in your car or on a crappy boombox because 9/10 that's where they'll be heard. It doesn't matter how good they sound on your awesome studio monitors because most of that will be lost coming through the dreck most people listen on. No one but audiophiles care about sound quality anyway.

Start with a fantastic melody. It doesn't have to be complicated. Even the greatest of symphonies can be broken down to a right hand melody over left hand chords and it'll still sound powerful.
DoctaMario is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DoctaMario
Nystagmus (07-07-2014)
Old 15-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #56
Capo di Ritmo
Minor Glitch
Capo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of lightCapo di Ritmo is a glorious beacon of light
Westland
MC Status: 510

Best lesson I learned is: master the stuff you got before buying new stuff.
Capo di Ritmo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Capo di Ritmo
lolirl (11-08-2014)
Old 17-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #57
neospud
Learning The Ropes
neospud is currently spamming hard

It's early days for me so I'd say I've already picked up some useful ones in this thread alone.

Personally though it's been unlocking the secrets of EQ and compression. I've still got a lot to learn/practice but things are making sense now.
neospud is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #58
aksa
Learning The Ropes
aksa is currently spamming hard

Learn arrangement (by studying other tracks) and workflow.
aksa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #59
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

My biggest production trick/lesson? Just write music. Do it on shitty laptop speakers, that stereo you got at 13. You don't have to be in front of all your shit to make a track. You might have to be in front of it all to get a great sounding mix down but to write a tune? Nope, don't need it. The only requirement is your imagination. But if you're not exploring that world than you're not doing it right.

Secrets to a great mixdown? That shit's entirely too circumstantial. You want to be a big shot, known producer? Then you'll have to crank out tunes in your sleep. And if they're all great then you'd be able to afford to have someone mix down for you. Music is always the number one priority.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JMagee
Deep Dose (17-07-2014)
Old 17-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #60
Anatolian
Granular Poster
Anatolian is just really niceAnatolian is just really niceAnatolian is just really niceAnatolian is just really nice
Antalya
MC Status: 360

giving 5$ to get your song 'masterized '.

Advertisements

Anatolian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote