Your favorite DAW and why (not a vs. thread) - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #41
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon6 Re: Your favorite DAW and why (not a vs. thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn20 View Post
If you're talking about Reaper's explorer window, it can be opened and closed with ctrl-alt-x, and also resized and docked/undocked however you please, like pretty much everything in Reaper. Then there's the tempo matching and drag + drop features in it too. When I discovered that feature, working with samples got at least twice as fast, probably more.
Thanks I'll look into that. Peace

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #42
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010
Re: Your favorite DAW and why (not a vs. thread)

the more i expreriment the more im falling in deep and satisfactory love with bitwig studio.
to the point i want to marry it have a bunch of bitwig kids and start a bitwig family.
joem is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #43
airwalker
Minor Glitch
airwalker will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 90

so i went and brought sonar x3 and i love it so simple to use
airwalker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: seether
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #44
miikesher
Granular Poster
miikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nice
Naas, Kildare
MC Status: 410

Right now its Ableton and has been for about 2 years, kind of want/need to try something different just for the sake of it. But I'll probably end up going back to what I love
miikesher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #45
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

FL Studio is my weapon of choice and has been for years. I love the functionality and ease of use, not to mention its amazing native plugins. Image Line has done an amazing job over the years in making it a very hands on, affordable, and intricate DAW. FL Studio, I love you.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #46
mick
Regular Freak
mick has a spectacular aura aboutmick has a spectacular aura about
Berlin
MC Status: 160

I started out with Live, but always hit a point where I got 'stuck', I was never able to finish a track with it.

Then switched to Logic and instantly has a click it with and used it for about a year. The Live 9 came out, and I gave it another go.
Loved it, and bought Ableton Push to go with it

All I can say is that it doesnt matter what you use. Even if people say there are differences in sound, you should always use whatever DAW you have the best click with, otherwise you wont be finishing tracks anyway.
mick is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #47
Daamir O.
Regular Freak
Daamir O. is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

FL studio, the first i tried out, and I fell in love with...
Daamir O. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #48
Ametrine
Granular Poster
Ametrine is a jewel in the roughAmetrine is a jewel in the roughAmetrine is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I've been using FL Studio for a good while now and I love it. The workflow just seems to make a lot of sense. Although there are times when doing small things can be a big pain. But otherwise, it's fairly easy to use, at least for me, and packed full of goodies.
Ametrine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #49
Paky82
Minor Glitch
Paky82 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Ableton Live
first because on first use it was clearly intuitive for me
and second because it is particularly rich of good native instruments and effects.
Paky82 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #50
davormajdandzic
Regular Freak
davormajdandzic will become famous soon enough
New York

Ableton Live, because though I've had to chance to play around with many DAWs, none for me where as intuitive and slick as Live. I do a lot of sampling and drum work, so the ability to chop things up quickly and mess with them is awesome.
davormajdandzic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #51
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536227
Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,250 Posts

Ableton Live.

cause fx racks and macros and warp engines and flexible routing and max for live and useable native FX and performance/session view and multiband dynamics compressor and "the glue" and instrument racks and drum racks and drag and drop EVERYTHING and stripped down UI and amp models and ive been using it since its inception and for that reason its the fastest thing i work in and fast = good for me i'm pretty ADD so working and moving on is key for me.

Last edited by chasedobson; 14-04-2014 at 12:25 AM..

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Deep Dose (14-04-2014)
Old 16-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #52
crooked86
Minor Glitch
crooked86 has a spectacular aura aboutcrooked86 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

So far, I've tried FL Studio, Cubase, Sonar, Reason and Ableton Live.

And today I find myself using Ableton Live, sometimes FL Studio and rarely Reason. I don't have a Mac but Logic Pro seems great.

- Ableton Live: Love the workflow Poor piano roll Can't make a song with more than 20 tracks with my not-so-powerful PC
- FL Studio: VERY quick workflow Great piano roll Really nice automation's curves (unlike in Ableton) Don't really like the interface (FL Studio 12 is coming and looks great though)
- Reason: No VST Poor piano roll

Also unlike someone said below, sidechaining is neither time-consuming in FL Studio nor in Ableton... You can do it really quickly actually.
crooked86 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #53
SvenH
Regular Freak
SvenH has a spectacular aura aboutSvenH has a spectacular aura aboutSvenH has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Ableton!
SvenH is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #54
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329125300
Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,170 Posts

I started with renoise,then FL studio,which i used for a long time.
i tried ableton ,but i really didn't like it.
I now use Sonar x3 and reason 7.1,i still use fl studio and renoise for some stuff though.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #55
genozid
Granular Poster
genozid will become famous soon enoughgenozid will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Startet with FL but i didn't like the interface (that was 2008 or so, maybe it's better now ?).
So i switched to Ableton and didn't use any other DAW since then. It fits my needs, so I'm not even looking for some other DAW right now.

------------------
genozid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #56
DuoCore
Learning The Ropes
DuoCore is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

So far I've tried/used Cubase, Reason, Ableton, FL Studio and Logic Studio for producing tracks.

I sticked with Logic for a couple years before I fell in love with the FL Studio's workflow. It was way more intuitive for me, just to throw things in there quickly and edit them out later. I've used it for years now and I don't really see myself switching to anything else anytime soon. I tried to get more into Ableton Live, but I just couldn't for a some reason. I learned to use it as a live performance DAW, but as nothing else really. I'd love to get more into that as it's quite popular in the electric genre now.

I still use Logic quite frequently for recordings and mixing. It has some awesome stock plugins in there to play around with, so I keep it next to me at all times.
DuoCore is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #57
Allstarmotivato
Granular Poster
Allstarmotivato is a glorious beacon of lightAllstarmotivato is a glorious beacon of lightAllstarmotivato is a glorious beacon of lightAllstarmotivato is a glorious beacon of lightAllstarmotivato is a glorious beacon of lightAllstarmotivato is a glorious beacon of light
West Bromwich, West Midlands
MC Status: 510

I spent years with a PC using various versions of Cubase. I never liked the interface though. It didn't feel user friendly.
Upon buying a Mac last year, I purchased Logic Pro 9 and love it. I just get things done so much quicker using Logic. The price tag also suited my budget which is very important to me. I like that it has a variety of built-in synths and effects too. Very good value for money I think
Allstarmotivato is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #58
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

Cubase was my first DAW that I`ve played around with while I was in a computer music high school course.

Why Cubase? Never really had problems with it. It does the job and i was too lazy to get the hang of other daws. With that being said I have some experience in using pro tools for mixing.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #59
DJ Alex
Granular Poster
DJ Alex will become famous soon enough

Tried Logic wayyyyyyy back, didn't get it, noobed out.
Came back and got into FL but didn't like the layout and didn't understand the whole mixer thing.

Tried shit with Ableton live intro till I actually found out what the hell I was doing and everything that I couldn't figure out in previous DAWs was sort of laid out nice and clearly in Ableton. Since then it became my sound design, my mix, and my master. With the right plugins and a powerful PC, many things are possible in there
DJ Alex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #60
phaseon
Minor Glitch
phaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nicephaseon is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I've used almost all DAW's at one point or another (mostly just to have the experience of knowing how they work just in case I might to use them someday on a project.)
DP,Logic, FL, PT, CW, Nuendo, CB, etc.

However I've always stuck to Ableton Live. I really like Ableton Live for a variety of reasons:

1. Many many people use it, so it's quite easy to bounce ideas around the internet.

Working with people is also easier because you don't really have to teach them to use the DAW.
Best for compatibility (imo) reasons in the electronic world as a very large chunk of people use Ableton Live.

I do HIGHLY encourage you to at least try other DAWs so that you have a basic understanding of how they work.
It will come in handy.
Trust me.
There's no worse feeling than being excited about making stuff and working with someone, then seeing the screen with a look on your face as if you were seeing a tablet full of hieroglyphs.

2. Its interface is pretty intuitive and very clean.

Ableton's interface is pretty easy to learn without much reading IF you already know the basics production and audio eng.
Everything is simply either a play button, a clip (audio or midi), a line (automation) or is self explanatory.
The audio chain is a visual representation of what it would be like IRL.
You can change the order of devices to change the sound simply by dragging them, which I really like as I love to mess with my audio chain.

3. It "separates" the creation process in two allowing for more experimentation.

I like the fact that Ableton has 2 views (clip & "timeline" views).
For me, this is closer to how my mind works most of the time.
I thoroughly enjoy coming up with a bunch of different parts and drum beats, different sounds, etc.I Love just jamming out and coming up with something cool.
Not having to worry (at the moment) if it's going to be any good or what it will sound like.
In this phase, anything goes. There's very little structure, but then you switch to timeline view and you have to think a little "alright, I had a general idea, now to really flesh this out".
It's great to have that separation of "creative paradigms"

4. The automation is simply the easiest to use (imo)

It's all lines and curves and to map something to automation, all you gotta do is click/drag the control on your synth/effect plugin and poof.
Mapped right onto the timeline track.
Then it's just a matter of fixing it up as you'd like, you can get extremely detailed with automation in Ableton Live.

5. If you use it for performance and learn to use effect chains/automation/crossfade controls on Ableton, you have yourself perhaps the most versatile live performance tool ever.

You can do a lot with it in a live setting, feels more like a performance.
You can somewhat plan out your live show, control lights with it (through adapters), control synths with it, sync two instances and run a dual performance with a buddy/bandmate.
Make your own effect chains, use them during your set to do all kinds of different things.
Ableton Live is pretty boundless when it comes to the options you have for your live performances, which to me is great.

I like that much better than just doing a DJ set.
It's more fun for me.

Advertisements

phaseon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote