**OUT NOW** IDMf043 RFJ - of Storybook and Sound - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 28-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #41
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: **OUT NOW** IDMf043 RFJ - of Storybook and Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by stem collector View Post
This is great stuff but obviously you don't need me telling u that.
Thanks. The truth is everyone craves feedback, no matter how much they'll tell you they don't, they do. I am no exception in that regard, so I greatly appreciate yours.

Something about being validated by ones peers 'ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stem collector View Post
Fave is narrow escape. It has a kin of autechrian vibe to it
You had me at hello.

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #42
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Not sure if im going to do a complete listen since im drinking a little bit and am slightly sick, and im sure this deserves my full attention as well as properly functioning ears.. a good cold knocks all the detail out of them as well as some straight up volume... bloody hate it.

There is nothing wrong with wanting feedback, sure some of it may be ego but are we zen buddhists here? That said without external feedback it is also much much harder to improve. Im jealous of people around me that make music together or in a uhm.. threesome?

If a tree falls in the woods with no one to observe it, is it really there? (i think i may have gotten this one wrong)

On that note, if art is out there with no one to listen to it, is it still art?
Sorry if that was both a bit wrong and corny.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to twilitez
RFJ (29-01-2014)
Old 29-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #43
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

A bit giddy at the moment. One thing I'll add is that I've always like your drum mixing and patterns. The rest was nice as well, but when you got that mic, possibly even when you sold the MnM, the rest became even better. So much evolving with your new workflow/direction.

Also, keep recording your daughter.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
RFJ (29-01-2014)
Old 29-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #44
Xenon
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

I'll be downloading this the first thing next month, which is Saturday. I have to stretch my last bit of cap until that time...

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Xenon
RFJ (29-01-2014)
Old 31-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #45
quizybuck
Soundwave Mangler
quizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond repute
North Carolina
MC Status: 2660

Have listened to it twice a day since release. Beautiful work.

Really, I want to type out a better description of how much I enjoy it, but I don't think those words exist.
quizybuck is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #46
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizybuck View Post
Have listened to it twice a day since release. Beautiful work.

Really, I want to type out a better description of how much I enjoy it, but I don't think those words exist.
Wow, thanks so much. On the same token words do not exist for me to accurately express my gratitude to people like you, and everyone else, for the comments and continued support. A simple click of the thanks doesn't suffice.

So, I'll say...

Were it not for this forum and all of you pushing and inspiring me through your own art, other projects, and related discussions, this would not have been possible. Pretty much everything I know from a production standpoint came from right here at IDMf.

And for that, I owe.

------------------
Old 31-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #47
quizybuck
Soundwave Mangler
quizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond reputequizybuck has a reputation beyond repute
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Wow, thanks so much. On the same token words do not exist for me to accurately express my gratitude to people like you, and everyone else, for the comments and continued support. A simple click of the thanks doesn't suffice.

So, I'll say...

Were it not for this forum and all of you pushing and inspiring me through your own art, other projects, and related discussions, this would not have been possible. Pretty much everything I know from a production standpoint came from right here at IDMf.

And for that, I owe.
I listen to other songs on here then go listen to my own stuff, and I feel like I'm watching a dog show with my dog.

I'm constantly saying "Why don't you do that? Oh, I love you anyway."
Old 31-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #48
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizybuck View Post
I listen to other songs on here then go listen to my own stuff, and I feel like I'm watching a dog show with my dog.

I'm constantly saying "Why don't you do that? Oh, I love you anyway."
If I'm understanding you right I think this is the temptation for all of us, me at least for sure. So you are not unique in those trappings. It's a really hard thing to do, not compare your work to others. But when I do that the comparison gets based upon my inadequacies. And when that happens I'll never measure up.

Take, for example, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
;. Were I to listen to his stuff and compare it to mine, he's got me beat on all fronts. Mixing, composing, sound design, everything. So when I try and do what he does, or think why didn't I do that, I'm going to probably fail right out of the gate.

This brings me back to what I said earlier in the thread. All I can do is take what I know, within my limited skill set and do it the best that I can. Maybe implement a new technique here and there to make sure I'm moving forward.

The comparison game, in my experiance, is a losing one, and also one of the harder things for me not to do. But when I'm able to stop it I find moving forward to come naturally and I'm generally happier with my work when it's done.

Thanks again for the listen, and for the kind words about what you heard.

Last edited by RFJ; 31-01-2014 at 05:57 AM..

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
Muse-ic (31-01-2014)
Old 31-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #49
quizybuck
Soundwave Mangler
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
If I'm understanding you right I think this is the temptation for all of us, me at least for sure. So you are not unique in those trappings. It's a really hard thing to do, not compare your work to others. But when I do that the comparison gets based upon my inadequacies. And when that happens I'll never measure up.

Take, for example, Jazzyspoon. Were I to listen to his stuff and compare it to mine, he's got me beat on all fronts. Mixing, composing, sound design, everything. So when I try and do what he does, or think why didn't I do that, I'm going to probably fail right out of the gate.

This brings me back to what I said earlier in the thread. All I can do is take what I know, within my limited skill set and do it the best that I can. Maybe implement a new technique here and there to make sure I'm moving forward.

The comparison game, in my experiance, is a losing one, and also one of the harder things for me not to do. But when I'm able to stop it I find moving forward to come naturally and I'm generally happier with my work when it's done.

Thanks again for the listen, and for the kind words about what you heard.
I think finding a balance between being "inspired" by someone else's work and trying to emulate that work is key. For instance, your use of atmospheric elements on this release is top to bottom outstanding. It is legitimately something that I'm envious of and wish that I could pull off, and as a result I'm a little more motivated to find new ways to use sounds that most would reserve for background noise.

That said, the blend of sounds you've displayed here isn't something I'd want to chase down. It doesn't fit in with the kinds of sounds I enjoy creating. Any attempt to emulate this would just be to see if I could do what someone else has done. It wouldn't be "me", if that makes sense.

So, while this release is absolutely inspiring to me, and I really am envious of what you've created here, its not something I'm going to chase down.

Make sense?
Thanks to quizybuck
RFJ (31-01-2014)
Old 31-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #50
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

It makes total sense and I think you are correct on all fronts. I've been guilty of many of the things I said hence...what I said.

Stoked you found a bit of inspiration in what you heard. Thanks again for giving me your time.

------------------
Old 31-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #51
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Many thanks to Simon at [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for picking up the release and writing this review.

4/5 stars they say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netlabelism.com
Rick Jeldy, driving force behind the Altered Echo project, also produces his own music. ‘Of Storybook and Sound’ is his latest release, published through the ever-sublime IDMf netlabel. It chronicles Jeldy’s arduous journey in achieving personal change. If you’d like to know more about the circumstances that gave rise to this EP, you can read about it in the included pdf document titled ‘A Version of Me’.

All instrumentation on the first four tracks of this five-track EP exudes a haunting, creepy atmosphere. While the combination of children’s voices and reverb can’t exactly be called ground-breaking, it has never failed to make an audience slightly uneasy, and it certainly doesn’t fail now, either.

Drum elements are mainly of the breakbeat variant, and they complement the previously described feeling of unease very well, without smothering the sense of depth and space. My two favourite tracks on the EP are ‘Contemplation’ and ‘The Last Analysis’. Somehow they remind me of Big Bud’s ‘infinity + infinity’.

Mornings have long been the go-to metaphor for hope. And the closing track by that name introduces this element into the equation, creating a noticeable break in style with the previous tracks. Musically speaking, it’s my least favourite of the five tracks on the EP, but that’s more just a personal taste characterized by a love for minor chords, literature for the chronically depressed and an appreciation of beauty in all things dark. But that’s based purely on the physical form of this release, not taking into account what it symbolizes. Truly, one can only be happy the track is there. ‘Morning’ retains the children’s voices as an anchor point to the rest of the release, but uses them in an entirely different context. New, but never unfamiliar.

RFJ has molded his personal experiences into a strong IDM release, which is dark and eerie, deep yet stimulating. Highly recommended. [SVB]

Last edited by RFJ; 31-01-2014 at 05:34 PM..

------------------
Old 31-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #52
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège
MC Status: 1900328

Great release RFJ, I really enjoy your album.
Super sound and interesting textures overall.
And I absolutely dig "The Last Analysis"

Cheers,

Luc

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lucky one
RFJ (31-01-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #53
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Getting back to my DAW and properly learning synthesis, your album is a welcome source of inspiration as to how can people can trace their musical paths =)
Don't stop, get better, make us happy.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #54
WalkingBlind
Learning The Ropes
WalkingBlind will become famous soon enoughWalkingBlind will become famous soon enough
Jaworzno
MC Status: 110

For all discogs junkies I've just added this release to the database. I can't post link so you have to find it by yourselves .

Really interesting and disturbing album.
Thanks for the bonus pdf. Definitely worth reading.
WalkingBlind is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #55
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

^Hey thanks for that man. Here's your link, and I have added both reviews and the related video content to the release database...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Thanks for reading the .PDF too, sorry 'bout those type-o's.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
Trusty Steed (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #56
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Been jamming this on repeat today. Contemplation would be my fave but Morning is great too. Love the guitar samples, if that's what they are.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
RFJ (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #57
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Been jamming this on repeat today. Contemplation would be my fave but Morning is great too. Love the guitar samples, if that's what they are.
Thanks Mike.

Yes the samples on morning were taken from an old gut string guitar that I had sitting around collecting dust for far too long. I went out to the garage and just played some stream of consciousness stuff in combination with a few old riffs that had long been written but never used. Everything was then cut up into tiny bits and manually sequenced into what you hear now. It's all guitar actually, even that reverby synth sounding thing, just resampled to sound less like a guitar.

It's funny you mention both of these pieces because the main element in Contemplation is guitar too. Not mine though. I've got a friend who is an amazing guitarist who came over and let me get an hour or two of audio one night last year. I only wound up using but a snippet of what he did though as the basis for the guitar type pad thing in that track. Put the tiny piece in the granulator, added reverb, and that was it.

Creative ways of using what you have, or what you have access to, always being the best play over getting new.

Here's a couple of images from that night with my friend that turned into what you hear on track 2...

Friends pedal board:
Friend:

Last edited by RFJ; 01-02-2014 at 10:35 PM..

------------------
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #58
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

In a word....Superb!!!

It's a release that contains what in my very humble opinion is 'proper idm'.

Great beats, atmosphere, vocal elements and above all it's honest. It's all too easy to pepper some basic tune with auto-glitch effects and call it idm these days , so to get an album for free that reminds you why you got into this music in the first place is a real treat.

My only criticism is 'why isn't it a double album!!!'

Stay positive and please make some more

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #59
Xenon
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

This is really awesome. I wrote it to a CD and listened it in my car on my way to work and home. Thanks to traffic, I listened to it twice and a bit and in between some radio as well. I also have to comment, although my car has a quite decent sound system, it's much better to listen to this album on headphones, it's just much more emmersive.

I like the ambient 'theme' throughout the EP. The first two tracks and especially the second one, gives me a felling of being lost. Not the kind of lost as in not knowing where you are but more a lost in 'limbo'; an agoraphobic lost.

The tracks really stir those feelings in me. I always felt this way when I was little; when I lay in bed in the evenings and listened to planes passing by, it just felt like the whole world just disappears around me.

As it progresses, that lost feeling starts to dissipate and come the last track, the same atmosphere of open space is portrayed but this time with a sense of serenity, of companionship. Being lost with someone who is able to help you out just makes everything feel better.

After reading the story, I could somewhat relate the emotion I feel in the music to the emotion of the story.

Once again, this is a really good EP!

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Xenon
RFJ (05-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #60
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

^^^I'm going to try this. (Burn a CD) I've been listening to AM's cd in my car and it's kind of nice. I feel like I've kind of lost touch with tangible music, like CD's.

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
RFJ (05-02-2014)