Good headphones? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 17-01-2014, 01:22 AM   #41
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4360
Re: Good headphones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfrank View Post
sennheiser HD-25 II
i own a pair of hd 280 pro and hd 25s, the 25 have crystal clear treble and mids, but the bass is lacking. the 280 are sealed and heavy but the bass is mild and the highs are a bit flat - makes them quite nice for prolonged sessions. i would do final checks on the 25 but wouldn't mix with them.

oh and that thing about bass mixing and headphones.. no pair of headphones beats a treated room. bass waves need space to stretch.

Advertisements

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 01:57 AM   #42
nowaysj
Microknight
nowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MC
MC Status: 226958

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
i own a pair of hd 280 pro and hd 25s, the 25 have crystal clear treble and mids, but the bass is lacking. the 280 are sealed and heavy but the bass is mild and the highs are a bit flat - makes them quite nice for prolonged sessions. i would do final checks on the 25 but wouldn't mix with them.

oh and that thing about bass mixing and headphones.. no pair of headphones beats a treated well designed room. bass waves need space to stretch.
Fixed.

If you want to stretch out the legs of your bass, you're going to need a very long room as open E's wavelength is 27 feet.

------------------
nowaysj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #43
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
How do we let ourselves get so drawn in to these lazy questions? We just need to have a sticky that advises all to buy the most expensive pair of Dre Beats they can afford.
I don't know if I would call it lazy. Most people don't stick around long term to know how often these questions are asked. They find this forum and think- good place to ask this question and start a thread or two. Also sometimes it can feel overwhelming to sort through a 30 page thread that is filled with about 20 percent advice and 80 percent jibber jabber.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #44
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108250
Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,390 Posts

Imagine joining a car enthusiast forum and your first impression being asking the question - so what's a good sedan? Define good. Like cars, studio equipment choice is personal and it wouldn't be strange to expect someone to do a bit of research before asking a group - what should I get.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #45
Belivu
Granular Poster
Belivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
Fixed.

If you want to stretch out the legs of your bass, you're going to need a very long room as open E's wavelength is 27 feet.

True. But it still has more room to "stretch it's legs" in a room than in a set of cans.

:problemofficer:

Haha at this point I'm arguing for the sake of arguing... doesn't really matter what you mix your bass on... as long as you can you mix your bass well.

------------------
eh... music
Belivu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 02:25 AM   #46
nowaysj
Microknight
nowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MC

Yeah, same, as always. People talk about treated rooms like it is easy to do, just put some absorbers and diffusers on the walls. It is next to near impossible to effectively absorb low freqs - resulting in nodes in even well designed and treated rooms.

This issue is very topical to me, because I'm just getting to the point where I have to admit how bad my monitoring is, and actually how good my Dt-770's are at portraying bass. It is in no way pleasurable in the Dt's, in fact, it is almost more like a sub frequency analyzer with input from your ears, than a listening experience. But like you said, anyways.

Also of note, I just found a really big bass node a couple of feet behind my listening position. It is insane, it is like I got my sub back. So jokes. Now I just need three foot long robotic arm extenders to work the keyboard and mouse, and I'll be good.

:problemofficer:

------------------
Old 17-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #47
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108250
Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,390 Posts

Make that boundary effect work for you right?

Also the joy of sweet notes and dead notes from half waves and quarter waves and all that fun stuff.

My room is so non-treated and peaky. Loud and quiet spots galore. I just have it adjusted to not be completely terrible where I sit.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 02:35 AM   #48
Belivu
Granular Poster
Belivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I feel your pain on those bass nodes... I'm away at school and my dorm room is awful (can't really expect it to be good). It's seriously amazing how you can go from one point in the room where there is complete absence of sub frequency material to stepping a foot forward and being blasted with nothing but bass.

And you're right about the room design aspect of it all. It takes a lot of money to get a room to have a solid low frequency response (AND for it to be consistent throughout). I visited a professionally modeled studio a while back and it was incredible how tight the low freq. response was in that control room. Then again, it probably cost upwards of $30k to get the room where it is now (not to mention the control room was built FOR the purpose of monitoring audio whereas most of us are just trying to make due with the rooms we have available to us).

------------------
eh... music
Belivu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Belivu
nowaysj (17-01-2014)
Old 17-01-2014, 03:46 AM   #49
StephenCozzone
Knob Twiddler
StephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Loving my Audio Technica ATH-M50s! Got 'em off of eBay for 115 shipped!
StephenCozzone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 05:22 AM   #50
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

^^^ Awesome, I'm glad you like them!
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #51
Dokta_K
Learning The Ropes
Dokta_K is currently spamming hard
Wales
MC Status: 10

As everyone has said there are a lot of good headphones out there, for cans what I'd recommend and only because I've used them are.
AKG - K512's and the pricier Audio Technica ATH-M50's although really it's down to personal preference and what YOU like.
Dokta_K is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #52
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10532001

Me and the bear are happy with Beyerdynamic DT 770

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #53
Shimeon
Regular Freak
Shimeon will become famous soon enough
Montreal
MC Status: 60

Used to have the sennheiser hd280, which definitely lack bass. Then got the ath m50, and although I liked them, didn't find them flat enough. I am now enjoying my sennheiser hd380! The best I found for a reasonable price (and I looked around a lot, trying pretty much all the alternatives).
Shimeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #54
Cylotic
Minor Glitch
Cylotic will become famous soon enoughCylotic will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Although I'm personally a big advocate for Senheiser Open Back Headphones (where music production is concerned), note that Zomboy used Beat Pros for most of his productions. So that kind of brings everything back to the idea of preference. Personally, I'd say focus on headphones with the widest frequency ranges, then from there narrow it down to whether you want a really flat or colored sound, and lastly a closed or open back (opens tend to give a more realistic listening experience, and are decently less harsh on your ears when it comes to ear fatigue). Where headphone monitoring is concerned, I use my Pioneer HDJ-1000s (but I have used Sennheisers before as well) and for the most part they do the job pretty well. But with whatever you decide to choose, just be sure to really break them in and understand what areas they excel in/ lack in (deeper bass, clearer mids/highs, etc.)
Cylotic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #55
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2184

I have owned about 5 pairs of phones in the past and have been happy with most of them, however, my old sennheiser HD200's have been the most robust.

I have been using the AKG range recently and have found that whilst my previous K240 MKII's were very good on the bass side of things, my newly purchased K271's are not.

I was a little disapointed when i got them out the box to find they lack massively on the low end. I have tried using them for various tracks but creating any bass heavy music on them is hard work.

I have now reverted back to the HD200's until i get myself some other phones with a good sounding low end.

What would everyone recommend as a good set for low end creativity...for under 150...?

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #56
nowaysj
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entox View Post
I have owned about 5 pairs of phones in the past and have been happy with most of them, however, my old sennheiser HD200's have been the most robust.

I have been using the AKG range recently and have found that whilst my previous K240 MKII's were very good on the bass side of things, my newly purchased K271's are not.

I was a little disapointed when i got them out the box to find they lack massively on the low end. I have tried using them for various tracks but creating any bass heavy music on them is hard work.

I have now reverted back to the HD200's until i get myself some other phones with a good sounding low end.

What would everyone recommend as a good set for low end creativity...for under 150...?
Bought em in dollars, but should be able to get Beyerdynamic DT 770's for that price. Has a very accurate low end. I jump into these just to check the low end.

------------------
Old 22-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #57
Geelist
IDMf Artist
Geelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MC
MC Status: 214609

Agree with DT 770's if you like your bass! Very comfortable, too.
Geelist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #58
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10532001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelist View Post
Agree with DT 770's if you like your bass! Very comfortable, too.
Another 770 fan here too

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #59
nowaysj
Microknight

I tend to work for long stretches. I know I'm supposed to rest my ears (and the rest of my body for that matter) but fuck that, after 20 years, it doesn't happen. These headphones can fatigue your ears because they do pump out the bass right into your ear. They won't fry them with high end though, which is nice. But that mechanical pressure, can be a bit heavy. Also, I find them to be sweaty. Like the plush pads are kind of hot/sweaty. Just my experience though.

Still the most accurate monitoring I have.

------------------
Old 24-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #60
Cylotic
Minor Glitch
Cylotic will become famous soon enoughCylotic will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Check out the Sennheiser HD280s. Flat response, strong frequency range, and under $100.

Advertisements

Cylotic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote