Good headphones? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #21
Marklar
Ghostly
Marklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MC
Arkansas
MC Status: 8217735
Re: Good headphones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Yeah - they can be a monitoring source, fair enough - but people don't refer to monitor headphones as monitors. The term 'monitor' implies a studio monitor and is always used in that context: "dude - you should get (a pair of) monitors", "your mix could really benefit from being referenced on monitors" etc.
OK I get you, but it's about what you can hear. It's not just mixing, if you don't have the dynamic/frequency range to hear what's going on then what's the point?. With poor monitoring, you just won't hear what you should. It's not just a mixing thing, it's the interface to the sound.

Advertisements

Marklar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #22
claaser
Soundscaper
claaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MC
MC Status: 8385220

I have owned several AKGs, Sonys and Sennheisers.

Sennheisers are by far my favorite. HD 280 or 380 are a decent choice.
claaser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #23
Belivu
Granular Poster
Belivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Audiotechnica M50s work great for me. Nice mid and hi range response. The low end is good on them but it's kinda useless to consider low end when proper low end mixing should be done on monitors (NOT headphones).
Belivu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
claaser
Soundscaper
claaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MC
MC Status: 8385220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belivu View Post
Audiotechnica M50s work great for me. Nice mid and hi range response. The low end is good on them but it's kinda useless to consider low end when proper low end mixing should be done on monitors (NOT headphones).
No. One of the main reasons to use headphones is so you can do proper bass mixing / mastering.
claaser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
T-CHANG
Microknight
T-CHANG will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
I went with the M35s, the review seemed good and it was very affordable. Do you know how they compare?
T-CHANG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #26
CocaineAudio
Soundscaper
CocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud of
Newark, New Jersey
MC Status: 1010

audio technica m-50's are your besst bet around 130 but it's way more valuable than it's price suggests..

------------------
Follow Me On Twitter: @SluRty
SlurRty Memories (Original Mix) *Released 6-18-14* =
CocaineAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #27
nowaysj
Microknight
nowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MC
MC Status: 226958

Quote:
Where did you learn this? Who was the authority that told you this? Is this from your personal experience?

------------------
nowaysj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to nowaysj
relic (14-01-2014)
Old 14-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #28
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541080
Thanked 7,003 Times in 4,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
Where did you learn this? Who was the authority that told you this? Is this from your personal experience?
Maybe he means in an untreated room with entry level monitors (which often have exaggerated bass IMO) headphones are preferable. I could agree with that.

But otherwise. Ditto on those questions.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #29
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 752950

Beats by Dre, obviously.

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chaotix
Oatbag (15-01-2014)
Old 15-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #30
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096947

Dunno if I've already posted in this thread or not and I'm too lazy to check so I'm just gonna say this:

SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO

P.S. I find this thread kind of pointless. There are lots of good headphones out there and generally the more you spend the better quality you'll get. Everyone here is probably just going to mention whatever headphones they are using / have used in the past (see above) and unless one of them had a really bad experience due to a one-off product with a rare flaw, or didn't treat their headphones with respect. you're generally going to be ok with a wide variety of headphones.

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #31
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910

I gotta say i got my audio technica ath-m50s about a month ago and i love them so far and there are always deals for them around

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #32
Belivu
Granular Poster
Belivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
Basic acoustics and personal experience. Low frequencies (i.e. ~90 Hz and lower) really need space (air) to propagate in so that they can be accurately monitored. When you're monitoring low frequencies with headphones, you greatly reduce the amount of space the bass has to propagate in before reaching your ear. So monitoring low frequencies on capable reference monitors and a dedicated passive subwoofer (with sufficient amp) in an ideal listening room is the most ideal setup.

HOWEVER, this setup is not cheap by any means. Good reference monitors and sub/amp would run you well over $1000. And that's not even the worst expense... then you have to make sure that your listening space is acoustically sound (nice pun huh?).

Because low frequency response is usually atrocious in most bedroom studio setups (pre any acoustical treatment), a lot of people resort to headphones for accurate low end mixing. However, this doesn't mean it's the most accurate form of low end mixing, it's just the most cost effective. There definitely is a noticeable difference between monitoring low frequencies with the cans and with good monitors.

Another way to think about it is that some of us are making electronic music that is intended for big speaker setups (to be played for a crowd). Wouldn't you rather mix your bass on monitors referencing the open air bass sound (the sound that your listeners will more closely be hearing) or mix it with headphones and potentially mix the low end "too much" making it seem like it's missing "something" when played back on capable speakers?

Granted, headphones are useful for checking your low end mix to see if it translates well, but personally, the low end mix should (ideally) be done with monitors.
Old 16-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #33
Belivu
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by claaser View Post
No. One of the main reasons to use headphones is so you can do proper bass mixing / mastering.
I would disagree. I'd say that headphones are really intended to be used for proper stereo imaging and accurate mid/hi mixing (especially the mids). Stereo imaging is pretty self explanatory as your ears are directly subjected to the left and right channels of the audio (rather than receiving a mixed left/right signal as in the case of monitors). This direct exposure allows you to independently monitor the left and right channels more accurately and get a better "feel" for the stereo image of your mix.

In my experience, the mid and lo mid range is typically hard to nail down when monitoring on reference monitors. When I say nail down I mean get the mids so that they are warm (if you want them that way) without them being overpowering or resonating in odd ways. However, with headphones the mids can be monitored much more intimately and this gives you a better sense of whether your mix is truly "warm" or not (depending on your taste).
Old 16-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #34
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

I had open back Sennheiser HD 485 headphones. Back at that time I thought that sound is delicious. I am considering to buy them again. Now I have some Sony headphones. Not bad, but not that good as Sennheiser HD 485

------------------
Here is the track
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #35
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108050
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,388 Posts

Bass on my headphones sounds very much the same as it does on my sub. Obviously there is no sensation of feeling the bass with headphones, but soundwise they are quite similar.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #36
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
I would disagree. I'd say that headphones are really intended to be used for proper stereo imaging and accurate mid/hi mixing (especially the mids). Stereo imaging is pretty self explanatory as your ears are directly subjected to the left and right channels of the audio (rather than receiving a mixed left/right signal as in the case of monitors).
Worth a quick read: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
Muse-ic (17-01-2014)
Old 16-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #37
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

well my brothers just grabbed thease
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

and the sound on them is amazing tbh
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #38
Belivu
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Thank you for that article. It was pretty useful and insightful. I admit, I was at fault on a couple of the points I stated and to be honest I do most of my mixing on monitors anyways. I really only use headphones to check that my mix actually does translate well to headphone-type listening situations. The way I see it, headphones are more of a cheaper alternative (in some cases) to monitors. Furthermore, they give many people who don't have a dedicated studio space the opportunity to mix at any time of day without disturbing others.

However, I still think that mixing the low end of your mixes on proper monitors (in an ideal setup) is more accurate than using headphones.

------------------
eh... music
Old 16-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #39
nowaysj
Microknight
nowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MC
MC Status: 226958

I have to say that my headphones give a way more accurate picture of the low end. It is not even close. It is night and day. Higher freq sound treatment is relatively easy to do in a room, but low end is very difficult and usually requires dedicated structures for listening. Defo recommend a pair of real headphones.

------------------
nowaysj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #40
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108050
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,388 Posts

How do we let ourselves get so drawn in to these lazy questions? We just need to have a sticky that advises all to buy the most expensive pair of Dre Beats they can afford.

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote