Audio interface & Soundcard recommendations. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #41
StampedeMe
Future Epic Ban Victim
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 4161
Re: Audio interface & Soundcard recommendations.

Thinking of getting the Scarlett 2i2 as well. It's about time to get ANY interface, as my current external soundcard is shite. Nothing fancy, I know, but I'm an amateur working on an old laptop and I'm pretty new to buying anything what's meant to be called "gear". Just something to spend that about 200$ at.

Anyway, my question is:

Will such interface manage to amp my bought in the near future monitoring headphones? (I'm used to headphones more than speakers, can't work on monitors at this place, neither do I have the money to buy some, it's 3xNO for now)

EDIT: Coming back to the interface:

I don't need any more ins or other special features really, I'm not recording anything from external instruments yet.

Advertisements

------------------
Most of my posts begin with: "Well,"
StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #42
Egocent
Regular Freak
Egocent has a spectacular aura aboutEgocent has a spectacular aura about
Ingolstadt, Germany
MC Status: 160

years ago I bought a 2nd hand Motu Ultralite Mk2. It costs about 500, but since it was used, i got it at around half price. I swear by this interface! I use it to perform live, in the studio, its built like a tank, all metal. Audio quality blows away Audio 10 DJ that my fellow DJ friend has for example. Also much louder.

If you can get a 2nd hand one, its a win! if not, I have seen MOTU have released a smaller interface, the MicroBook2 that goes for around 250, might be worth looking into some reviews.
Egocent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Egocent
StampedeMe (23-09-2014)
Old 23-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #43
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8360

Has anyone had any experience with the MOTU 8 Pre USB? It's looking fairly sweet, and the reviews sound a little too good to be true.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
relic (27-09-2014)
Old 23-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #44
StampedeMe
Future Epic Ban Victim
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 4161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egocent View Post
years ago I bought a 2nd hand Motu Ultralite Mk2. It costs about 500, but since it was used, i got it at around half price. I swear by this interface! I use it to perform live, in the studio, its built like a tank, all metal. Audio quality blows away Audio 10 DJ that my fellow DJ friend has for example. Also much louder.

If you can get a 2nd hand one, its a win! if not, I have seen MOTU have released a smaller interface, the MicroBook2 that goes for around 250, might be worth looking into some reviews.
Thanks a lot. I actually stalled my decision waiting for some guidance. My budget increased by about another 200$ though, so it's a broader range now.

------------------
Most of my posts begin with: "Well,"
StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #45
djanvier
Minor Glitch
djanvier is a jewel in the roughdjanvier is a jewel in the roughdjanvier is a jewel in the rough
Montreal
MC Status: 260

for low budget i recommend FOCUSRITE

like 2i4

but if you have lot of budget GO to the RME AUDIO
with FIREFACE interface or other product of RME

------------------
Dany Janvier aka BIOBAZAR
Producer, Label Manager, dj
https://biobazar.bandcamp.com/
djanvier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #46
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the MOTU 8 Pre USB? It's looking fairly sweet, and the reviews sound a little too good to be true.
I can't speak to the MOTU 8 Pre, but I've got a used 828 mkii firewire and I will never go anything but MOTU for an interface again. Also, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, using them live/on tour when he is working with the various artists he gets contracts with, he highly recommends MOTU as well.

I'm absolutely not an expert on pre amps, but the MOTU ones sound good. I prefer recording most of my hardware through them. That being said I get absolutely stellar recordings off the 828's line inputs as well.

Often I've heard it said that MOTU is probably one of the most affordable "pro" level audio interfaces you can get.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Cole Minor
Old 27-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #47
djanvier
Minor Glitch
djanvier is a jewel in the roughdjanvier is a jewel in the roughdjanvier is a jewel in the rough
Montreal
MC Status: 260

I KNOW motu is great interface but for me is just a bad experience...

really bad i prefer a 2i4 to big Motu interface

Last edited by scyn; 27-09-2014 at 05:20 PM..

------------------
Dany Janvier aka BIOBAZAR
Producer, Label Manager, dj
https://biobazar.bandcamp.com/
djanvier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #48
abbygale45
Learning The Ropes
abbygale45 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

What factors enforce you to prefer 2i4 to big Motu interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanvier View Post
I KNOW motu is great interface but for me is just a bad experience...

really bad i prefer a 2i4 to big Motu interface
abbygale45 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #49
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478554

i have a motu 24io that i used for a while until it died on me. I still have it, but have yet to get it fixed. it was nice, has 24 ins and outs; the main thing I didn't like was that is designed to be more of an expansion to an existing set up rather than your sole interface. it has lots of io, but it doesn't have a dedicated headphone jack, nor does it have levels for the inputs. when i used it i just set up the 3rd and 4th outputs as the headphone output. Of course, I had to set it up to work in whichever program i was using. currently i use a tascam us-1800 which has been awesome. the only thing i don't like is that the direct monitoring is very quiet compared to the computer output monitor, so i mainly use it set to the computer output. it connects via usb, and has a good amount of ins as well as 4 outs which works great for my set up. also it wasn't too expensive (i only paid $200 for it new).

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #50
zeyoungz
Minor Glitch
zeyoungz has a spectacular aura aboutzeyoungz has a spectacular aura aboutzeyoungz has a spectacular aura about
in rouen
MC Status: 210

i like my rme uc.no need a lot of place and sound great to my ear.
zeyoungz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #51
jazzbastard
Minor Glitch
jazzbastard will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I am using Roland Quad Capture. It works pretty great in live performances. Im a saxophone player, so i use laptop as FX processor.

The main disadvantages - not much outputs and theres no separate headphone output.... But i did little workaround and got digital to analog converter and use Roland`s digital output as separate headphones channel.
jazzbastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #52
Minor Glitch
5995 will become famous soon enough

Hello. I'm new to recording, and have been looking into buying an interface. I'm a student so I don't have much money. I'm into industrial/EBM/alternative rock and want to record guitars, classical string instruments, different non-musical sounds, synths/MIDI controller. I've been trying to figure out what I need, some of the information I've come across mentions different amounts of inputs and outputs, MIDI I/O, different -bit quality, different types of inputs and outputs. Which of these things do I need, to do what I just mentioned? I've read about some examples that various articles recommended, such as Focusrite scarlett 2i2, Tascam iU2, PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL, prodpipe studio 22 pro, Mackie onyx blackjack, Steinberg ur22, are any of these good?
The laptop I'll be using is an Acer Aspire E 15, with a AMD A8-7100 Radeon R5 8 Compute Core 4C+4G 1.80 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM and 64-bit OS if that matters when choosing an interface.
Also, I'd like to be able to record various sounds, that can be found both indoors and outdoors, how do I go about this? Is there some kind of mobile equipment you can buy?
Any advice appreciated.
5995 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #53
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Do you want to record multiple instruments simultaneous? If not, 2 inputs (with pre-amps) should be fine. If you do, you will need more inputs. More than the 2 inputs is also great if you don't want to change connections all the time.
I would recommend getting more than 2 outputs if you ever want to run sound through external gear (like guitar pedals). You need at least 2 outputs (one channel left and right) for your speakers/headphones, so you could use extra channels to run a track from in your DAW into whatever gear you have.
One midi in- and output are also very handy, especially if you plan on using hardware synths.
The Focusrite 2i4 seems to be recommended a lot around here, but what interface is best for you depends on what your budget is and what you need.

You will also need a microphone if you want to record string instruments.
Don't forget to get something decent to listen with if you don't have something already (headphones or monitors).

You have two options for recording mobile: a fieldrecorder or a bus-powered interface.
A fieldrecorder is a little box with a microphone that can run on batteries. They are made to record sound indoors and outdoors (possibly with a windscreen) and are usually very portable. Two popular choices are Zoom H1 and the Tascam DR-05, both for around 100 here.
You could also buy a regular microphone and bring along your laptop and interface. The interface has to be bus-powered (no external power supply needed) and the laptop should be able to have a workable battery life. Advantage here is that you can also use this microphone for regular recording in your studio.
I would personally choose a fieldrecorder because it is the easiest to work with on-the-go. Just put it in your bag and start recording when you hear something interesting.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #54
Minor Glitch

Thanks for your reply! Could you explain a little bit more about having more than 2 outputs? What other than guitar pedals is that useful for? What can I do with a MIDI in- and output? I've got access to an old Korg but I don't know if I'll be using that or not.. I plan on buying a MIDI keyboard however. Also, when I've been looking at different audio interfaces, in the description some of them say they have analogue inputs, while others don't say so.. is there a difference here or is it jsut a matter of how they're being described? I have access to some microphones, not sure what brand or model, I think they're dynamic. Do you reckon that'll do for recording string instrument (I know it's not ideal, but just to get started)?
I just came across portable recorders online, and the models you mention seem good, they get good reviews anyway hehe.

Last edited by 5995; 28-11-2014 at 10:29 PM..
Old 29-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #55
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

More than 2 outputs is useful for when you want to take sound from in your computer, run it through something and record it back. This allows you take a complete in-the-box sound (like a digital synthesizer for instance), bring it into the 'real world' and put it back in the box. Whether you like doing this depends on your taste, it's often used to make sounds less clean.
The most obvious use case is as an external effect with an effect pedal. But you can also send something through an amp and record that again, to add some 'air'. You can get really creative with this (use a broken loudspeaker, record how the room resonates with the sound).
It's something you really want to have if you want to mess with audio out of the box.

MIDI I/O: MIDI is mostly a protocol that allows computers to send note data to each other. So for instance if you play on a midi keyboard it will output digital messages like "note E3 with velocity 100" or "note F5 with velocity 64". It's important to remember that MIDI does not contain sound, just notes. In audio production it is used everywhere to store note data that is sent to (virtual) synthesizers, it is the sheet music of computers.
MIDI data can be sent with the traditional midi connector but nowadays it is also often sent over USB. A MIDI keyboard or a controller will often use a USB connector, because it's easier to connect to a computer. A synthesizer will usually have the traditional connectors.
So if you ever plan on buying a hardware synthesizer you will probably appreciate having some MIDI ports. This allows you to send MIDI data from the computer to the synthesizer, meaning you don't have to play yourself every time. You don't need these to connect with (most) MIDI controllers or keyboards though.

Audio can be transmitted in two ways: as an analog signal (a range of voltages over a wire), or as a digital signal (a series of 0's and 1's over a wire). If the description say "inputs" it will probably be analog inputs. You can also check this with the connectors on the unit: 1/4" jacks and XLR are for analog signals.

A dynamic mic on a string instrument will probably not sound as good as a condenser mic, but it'll work. I recommend to just try it out and if you don't like it (after some experimentation) you could invest in more specific gear.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #56
Minor Glitch

Thanks a lot for your reply Nyul! Things make more sense now haha. I've looked at various audio interfaces and the focusrite scarlett 2i4 does seem good. It's not that expensive either. I think I'm gonna go for it! Now I just want to get started
Old 30-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #57
KOWAL86
Learning The Ropes
KOWAL86 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Hello everyone.

I have some questions regarding an audio card.

Thing is, that I have a creative XFI xtreme gamer model, and I'm planning to buy a pair of ATH-M50X heaphones, which sounds great [at least this is what ppl on the i-net used to say]

I have no issues with this card, latency on ASIO drivers 2 is lowest possible [1.5ms using DJing software like deckadance], windows 7 64 bit drivers from PAX are stable as hell.

People used to say that this sound card is a crap, although I can't say the same, but I am a little bit worried about the sound quality it offers, especially when I am going to wear those monitoring headhphones, and I want best sound-to value possible, as I am keen on producing some electronic music.

38 OHMS headphones may require some built in amplifier or better DAC on the sound card/audio interface - what do you think ??? If so, then what kind of sound card would you suggest to me ? I am terribly confused, as I can't find proper answers on the net.

-What I need from the card is best sound quality possible for 150 ~ value,
-I don't need mic amp and I am not going to record anything.
-All I want is to plug my axiom49 usb midi controller, be able to monitor the sound through the headphones with best sound quality as I can get, for a small pile of money.
-Or maybe it is worthless to change the card, as those heaphones may just sound ok and studio monitors outuputs aren't neccesary, as I'm not planning to buy any of those in the near future ?

What's your thought ? If you have some knowledge, then please, share it with me !
KOWAL86 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #58
Marcus Quarter
Minor Glitch
Marcus Quarter will become famous soon enough
Vienna

HI there

Just for those who want to find a nice soundcard!

Im working with a Focusrite 2i4 Scarlett!!

Works really nice for me!

Greetz

------------------
Marcus Quarter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #59
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329125350
Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,171 Posts

personally i have used ,m-audio,focusrite,and motu.
i highly recommend focusrite for those of you who can afford it.i have used the scarlett 2i4,and the scarlett 8i6,both are very capable.i have heard from other users,that the 2i2,and 2i4 are just as good.the only difference is the number of ins and outs.
the motu interface,in particular the one i use,(828mk3 hybrid)is outstanding!
if you have outboard gear as i do,this is very good.this interface is very low latency,very high quality.and is both usb and firewire capable.personally i use firewire.
it has a multitude of channels and fx,the capabilities are many.however as always,it comes down to user preference.always remember this with any hardware or software choice.it is your ears and your sound,so choose accordingly!
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #60
inoxia
Regular Freak
inoxia will become famous soon enough

Tha alva nanoface is also a more than decent card for its price.. Looks alot like the RME babyface but total different toy. The pre amps are so so tho... But you get a nice bunch of ins and outs ive not yet seen on any card in that price range. Tho maybe my reply is a bit outdated

Advertisements

inoxia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote