**COMING SOON** RFJ - of Storybook and Sound [IDMf043] - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: **COMING SOON** RFJ - of Storybook and Sound [IDMf043]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
I'm really excited for this. Knowing what I know about you from this forum I know this will be spectacular and a work of art.
Hah - I thought it was being released tomorrow to soften the blow of going back to work after the holidays. Evidently not . Gonna have to wait it out...

Thx for sharing your story tho RFJ - will take a proper read through it all before your album comes out.

Advertisements

scyn is offline   Thanks
Thanks to scyn
RFJ (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #22
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910

This is completely creepy but also comforting and nice at the same time just like you said... so true what a unique sound or at least that how i feel

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks
Thanks to bass&moddedFreq
RFJ (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #23
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Thx for sharing your story tho RFJ - will take a proper read through it all before your album comes out.
No problem man. I hope you find it enjoyable and not overbearing or boring. There's more coming here in just a second actually. Some of the stuff I'm about to tell isn't as ugly as the end but is told in an effort to establish a pattern of behavior. Anyway...I really do appreciate whatever you read of it, if any, and if it is a bunch of tl;dr just skip it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass&moddedFreq View Post
This is completely creepy but also comforting and nice at the same time just like you said... so true what a unique sound or at least that how i feel
Hey thanks man. Some of my other friends friends have told me that too. It's the same with life actually, a duality in feelings, and I think that's where that comes from in the music. The duality is more apparent in the first three tracks as you will see when it comes out.

Thanks guys.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #24
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Changing ones location, geographically on the map, in an attempt to get away from a
series of problems, in my experience, doesn’t work. I could go from Minnesota all the way to
Timbuktu and the same problems would have a way of following. The primary reason for this is,
the simple fact, that all the versions of me who have been born throughout the years, pack
their bags as well and come along for the ride. My flight landed in San Diego on a warm early
afternoon in late March. Me and my entire gang of alternate me’s, debarked the plane and
hopped into my friend’s car. My friend had graciously offered me a place to stay, with him and
his soon-to-be wife, in the place where I grew up, that town called Escondido. He and I had
known one another since before high school and had kept in touch over the course of my exile
in Oklahoma.

My friend, however, had no idea what he was walking into when he invited me out. To
him I was, by and large, the same kid he knew all those years ago who boarded the U-Haul and
drove away. But the truth is I was not anywhere close. On the way back to the apartment he
and I stopped at a liquor store and picked up a quantity of supplies. I was under the delusion
that Oklahoma had given birth to a problem with drugs alone and once removed from that spot
on the map I’d be able to control and enjoy my drinking just the same as the next guy. I spent
the next couple of years enjoying more than controlling. That was okay though because, except
for the coke, marijuana, and pills I was recreationally abusing, I had quit drugs. So, the gross
consumption of alcohol was but a mere speck when viewed in the light of my past
transgressions.

To make another very long part of this story short, I spent the next two years working
odd jobs and drinking…every day.

At one point my friend had decided he had had enough and tried to impose a rule that
said Rick is no longer allowed to bring booze in the house. By then he knew full well obeying
rules was not a forte of mine but he set about placing the rule anyway. So, I went back to doing
what I did best, hiding, lying, and pretending I was okay when I was anything but. I remember
bottles in backpacks, bottles in the bathroom, bottles in the crawlspace I had in my room. I was
without a car so I remember long walks to the convenience store. I remember cheap bottles of
wine. I remember having no money and drinking their bottles again, and again, and again, and
again, and again, and again. Bottles that would be filled back up with water, caramel colored
juice, or anything I had on hand to fake it. My 17 year old dream was becoming a reality. By
that point I knew. My condition was bona-fide and I was prepared to go on living alcoholically
for the rest of my life.

Then, one November evening, in the year two thousand and five, I received the call that
would change everything. Well, it should have at least. I had met my soon-to-be wife a year and
a half before the phone rang. She was a good church going girl who had little idea what she was
walking into either when she and I became reacquainted. She became my drinking companion
and she and I would spend the long summer nights drinking, talking, listening to music, and
drinking some more. That version of me has a way of making people think that breaking lifelong
convictions was their idea to begin with and when I answered the phone she told me she was
pregnant. Actually she had told me she was late and on the way over with several sets of tests
which she had recently purchased at the local Target. Later on that night we confirmed what
was true and started making plans for our future.

I assured her that I would quit drinking. I’m sure, at the time, I had every intention of
doing just that. But, looking back, I know now that I had little chance. I remember drinking,
drinking to oblivion, from that point on right up to the night before our wedding. I remember
being half in the bag just after we said “I do.” I remember sneaking drinks at the reception bar
and I remember the next morning like it was yesterday.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #25
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

It might be nice to keep these somewhat bundled, makes it easier to read them all. Maybe you could link to every single post in the OP?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #26
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

This release is kind of a surprise for me, a really good one. RFJ, I knew you were working on an EP and I knew it was going to be seriously good. But I didn't expect something like this.

When I heard the teaser for the first time, I knew this was something else, I don't know why: the voices, the chords,... it just sounded different. And then you started your story.
You haven't released the music yet but I'm already convinced this will be a real gem.

I love that something like this is possible, the whole thing you are setting up, it's perfect. The way you're explaining what happened, everything that influenced you to make this album.
Thank you for sharing this with us, I feel honoured to hear your story in such a way.

I also love how this is portrayed without the usual commercial crap, you are just telling your raw story. Great job RFJ, great job to the whole IDMf netlabel.

I'm really looking forward to this, thank you for sharing this.

So please go on, tell us your story. I'm listening.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #27
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

^Wow thanks so much man. It means alot because in a way I've been concerned about this part of what I wanted to do. I'll sort out some sort of system of linking maybe tomorrow as per your suggestion.

Here's another chunk as per your request...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I remember being half in the bag just after we said “I do.” I remember sneaking drinks at the reception bar and I remember the next morning like it was yesterday.
The average temperate drinker would have been relishing the warmth of the mid- morning sun, which was beating down on the coastline-sidewalk park bench, where my new bride and I found ourselves sitting. I don’t remember what we were talking about or what she was wearing. I don’t remember what we had for breakfast and I don’t remember our plans for the day. What I do remember is the sudden and overwhelming thought that I was going to have to do something about my drinking. What that was I didn’t really know, but it would be many years before I was willing.

What I finally decided to do that day, shortly after leaving the bench, was to just quit drinking. I mean, I had everything to quit for. A new wife and a daughter on the way brought an opportunity that I had thought I had missed out on down through the years, an opportunity to live a normal life. In truth, a normal life was something I could have very much looked forward to. There’s a version of me that says outward appearance is paramount to anything else. But, as it always went, the monster had other plans for me.

The next drink I took after making my resolve was on a Tuesday, the following Tuesday actually. She and I were married on a Friday, moved into our little apartment over the weekend, and resumed our normal lives that Monday. I was cooking short order at a rest home and she was working a nine to fiver. My days off were Tuesday and Thursday, from what I can remember, and when she would leave I would drink. I started lying to her about it straight away. We had recently joined our bank accounts, or rather, she had added my name to hers, and I remember my phone ringing at work one day. Much like the night at the dining room table many years later, but to a much less degree, she was looking at the bank statement. I remember thinking, you actually check that stuff? I remember dates and locations being recounted. I remember one of them ringing through as a liquor store. Then, I remember the lie I told.

Listen, if this is what I’m going to get from you every time I decide to go out and get a snack, I don’t know what I’ll do, but you have no right to question me this way, that I know. What? Snacks don’t cost that much? How much? 90.00 bucks in two weeks huh? Well…okay fine…here’s the thing…

What I’m about to describe to you now is a tactic I had developed over the years that involves either admitting to a less costly truth or fabricating a totally new story that involved some other type of questionable act. The fabricating of a new grievance, while seeming ridiculous to the average temperate drinker, served a very important and primary purpose. What it did was create a new argument based around something that wasn’t even real, and took the focus off of anything that lead to questions which would reveal a chronic condition. Arguing about things that weren’t real was something I could bear, and quite often in light of what could have been exposed, came as a relief. It is the condition must be protected, above all else, even me, I’ll take the hit, simple as that. In fact I’ve taken these types of stories to such a degree, as we will see later on, if you were on the receiving end you might just think I had some sort of problem with cognitive ability. But remember, as these stories begin to unfold, it is the condition that must be protected, and I…will take the hit.

My heart was racing, I was pacing back and forth in the kitchen where I was working, frantically trying to come up with something, anything, to bring the focus to some other reason why I would have needed sixty dollars in two weeks because snacks weren’t cutting it.

…there’s a guy here who works with me, who hates the Chargers, they play Charger games on the television in the dining room, and to pass the time, he and I made a few bets.

I don’t even like sports, nor do I watch games, never have really, but…she bought it.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 04:28 AM   #28
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
MC Status: 272295370
Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,571 Posts

Oh fuck yeah!

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
Ben Steed is an art beacon, a lighthouse of abundant radiance shining on the dark corners of the world.
Yeah, but he needs to rock out more.
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Trusty Steed
RFJ (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #29
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post

The full PDF of it all will be available with the release too
  Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #30
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Three other instances that should have led to my condition being exposed even before my daughter was born come to mind. The first was the bottle she found that I had hidden away in the picnic basket above the refrigerator. I don’t remember the circumstances, that came to her asking me to move the basket, so she could get in the cabinet behind. I do, however, remember moving the basket then hearing the vodka in the bottle slosh as it rolled from side to side. I remember panic. I remember my heart racing. I remember wondering if she heard it. Then, I remember her asking; what was that? I don’t remember exactly what I said but I can 99.9% guarantee you it was…what do you mean?

This question had been ingrained in me for quite a while as a suitable reply when confronted, and was used in an attempt to stall, while I formulated plan. I opened up the side of the dual flap basket where I knew the booze wasn't. She quickly took the basket from my hand and in doing so, eliminated my go-to, always first and preferred method of distraction, known as outright denial. With denial out of the window I quickly changed my game plan to yet another primary tactic called blaming others. They made me do it. That’s not mine. I was just holding it for blah blah blah person. My addiction had not progressed to the point where I was blaming her for what I was doing so that night I blamed my friends.

Well, you see, we were playing cards the other night and I won the bottle. I was just keeping it on hand for the next game we were going to have so I could bring it back and share it with them. I don’t know why I hid it from you. I guess I didn’t want you to worry that’s all.

My lies are multifaceted in their application and there’s a tactic within the primary tactic contained in that last one. First there’s the primary tactic of blame. Then there is a reason presented which makes what I did, look like I did it, out of care for the person who I am sitting there lying to. That is the secondary tactic. This method only works one, maybe two times, before the person on the receiving end stops buying the “I did what I did for you” crap. The endgame there when that method stops working is, in my experience, always the same. I did it for you becomes I did it because you and, in that moment, resentment is born.

My friends, for the most part, were average temperate drinkers who drank booze that tasted like you paid for it. But, even in the face of the plastic-is-all-I-can-afford-because-I-need-quantity-bottle, needless to say…she bought it.

Pay attention because this next one contains the tri-fecta…

One Tuesday morning just after she left for work I looked around the house for change and found some but not enough. I remember walking out into the back yard. I remember walking in. Out. In. Out. In. Out. I remember looking over the fence into our neighbor’s back yard. I remember going back in. Out. In. Out. In. Out. In. I was in the middle of a battle that I had little chance of winning and soon that battle took me out to the neighbor’s front door where I rang the bell. I waited. Nothing. Waited. Calm. Still nothing. Next thing I knew I was over the fence, and standing in front of the glass to the sliding back door, that gave access to my neighbor’s bedroom.

This was taking things to an entirely new level. Prior to this day I had always been too chicken shit break into a house, or a car, or rob someone on the street. So, I always did what any coward would do, and that was steal from those I loved, and other people that I knew. My hand moved to the handle. Wait. Better look through the glass to be sure. I peered. Saw nothing. Moved, then found the sliding door unlocked. I would learn much later on, that this was a common occurrence, but let’s just stick with this for a while.

The door slid open. I stepped inside. I looked left, then right, crossed the room, then in she came. I remember her looking stunned, scared and afraid. Shocked and confused is probably more like it because, being as we lived next door, she recognized me. She spoke no English and I had never lied in Spanish before. But I knew if I was to have any chance, of preserving the status of my condition, I knew I had better try, and I knew I had better try quick...

Last edited by RFJ; 06-01-2014 at 10:52 PM..

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 AM   #31
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Wow...I'm really in awe. I just had a chance to read your stories posted in this thread and I'm listening to the demo track right now.

This is what real art is all about. It has heart, soul, humanity and honesty. Really awesome.

Thank you for sharing your story...although my life experiences may be different I relate to facing your personal demons and rising above that....

Your story is incredibly inspiring.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Muse-ic
RFJ (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #32
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

^You're too kind...

If what we have here is, as you say, "real art" its because I looked within. Thanks for taking the time to read my words, thanks fails miserably actually. The making of all this over the last year has been a huge part of my own process of healing. I'm incredibly grateful that you, and others, are here now because you've been here during the entire process and an integral piece throughout as well.

It's interesting what you say about stories being the same only marked by different events. That's one thing I love about the human condition. On one level or another we are all more similar than we think.

If I've done my math right what I have for you will tale us up to just a day or two prior to the release. I'd be honored if you stick around.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #33
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

i must note that i'm quite impressed that you had the guts to stand up and tell us your story and its details, most people wouldn't have the courage to do it as boldly as you're doing i think.

in my opinion that's what makes this release even greater: we actually know how you felt when you created these tracks, and that, in turn, makes them much more interesting, and much more human as well.

i'm really looking forward to this release, man!

------------------
ndwella is offline   Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #34
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
MC Status: 272295370
Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,571 Posts

I foresee this will be a stunning release in every way. The story alone is moving, which only leads me to anticipate a wonderful album.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
Ben Steed is an art beacon, a lighthouse of abundant radiance shining on the dark corners of the world.
Yeah, but he needs to rock out more.
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Trusty Steed
RFJ (07-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #35
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Quote:
She spoke no English and I had never lied in Spanish before. But I knew if I was to have any chance, of preserving the status of my condition, I knew I had better try, and I knew I had better try quick...
My mind works fast when I’m in a position like this. So I decided, being as she was a woman, that I base this next one around my wife, who at the time was very pregnant.

Um…ah…tiene usted telefono? Ah…telefono? Tiene usted telephono?

Clearly my point was not getting across so I made a phone with my pinky and thumb and said…

Can I please use your telephone? Your phone. Telephono. Los ciento…My wife…mi espousa…ah…pregnant.

I remember my heart pounding. I remember hoping there would be no police. I remember thinking we were sure to be evicted. Then, I remember making an arc over my stomach, from chest to pelvis and talking some more…

Pregnant…mi espousa esta…ah…pregnant y mi telefono not working.

I remember pulling my phone out of my pocket. I remember pointing. I remember shaking my head. I remember saying, loudly this time while shaking my head…

No working!!!

I remember her leaving. I remember her coming back. Then, I remember her handing me a cordless. Still not out of the woods yet I dialed 10 digits, hit the call end button, and placed the phone to my ear. Knowing full well I’d be sunk if the phone rang I made quick work of the fake message. I don’t remember what I said but I remember leaving, going back home, answering my phone and lying to the landlord. I quickly filled in the gaps of the broken story I had just told earlier and sure enough…he bought it. Now all I had to do was find a way to keep the story from my wife and I’d be home free.

Then, my phone rang again…

Hello. Oh Hi honey. Oh yeah? Yeah I just spoke with him too. Yes, that’s right. No. No. N-no. It’s fine. Everything is fine. Well, see, yeah I was but here’s the thing. My cell phone had died and I couldn’t find the charger. I knew you might need to get a hold of me if you went into labor so I went next door to see if I could call you to tell you that you would be unable to reach me. I was concerned because you’re pregnant, started freaking out, and I didn’t know what else to do. Yes. Yes I know that but…just listen…honey please…I didn’t know what else to do so I did that. I rang the doorbell and everything first, it was my plan to ask them. No. No. Well yeah I found my charger as soon as I came back in. Honey…listen…honey…I made a poor decision but that in NO WAY MEANS I’M STUPID.

As you can see my story made absolutely no sense on many levels. The level of stupidity, were it to have been true, would be so off the charts one could only begin to wonder about cognitive impairment. She was mad and I was knee deep in damage control. So, backed almost into a corner, with fight or flight in full swing, the next thing I remember is lashing out.

And there you have what I mentioned earlier, the trifecta. The trifecta includes the primary lie, a secondary tactic, and then, the reversal of blame. How dare you talk to me like that? I don’t deserve to be treated that way. I would never say such things to you. And the coup des grace, if you loved me you wouldn’t dare speak to me in that way. With protection of the chronic condition being paramount to all other things, when all other efforts fail, make them feel pain. I was already an expert at blaming others for messes I had created. I had perfected this craft while in Oklahoma by saying things like; I knew this would happen if we moved here and you made me this way by not listening. So, transferring this skill over to my wife just happened naturally and without thought. I believe that story continues until she comes home from work. Then it goes on into the night. I believe at some point in time she becomes too tired to continue. Then, I guess we just went to bed.

Shortly thereafter, she went on maternity leave...

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #36
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

Fuck. Thanks for sharing man.

I've never thought I had a substance abuse problem per se, but this is definitely putting some of the things I've done while high into perspective. I'd never have the courage to talk about those things, even semi-anonymously on an internet forum. Safe.

Fuck, again.

The track in the OP is fucking ace too. My breaks per chance?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks
Thanks to neutral
RFJ (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #37
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

^I'm super stoked that you, and others, are actually reading this stuff and taking it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
The track in the OP is fucking ace too. My breaks per chance?
Ha! And thanks.

Not on that one but when / if you grab the release you might have a special interest in track two. Obviously they're layered, glitched some, and cut to pieces but...listen carefully.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #38
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Going to break this next one up into 2 parts. One now and the rest a bit later on...

Quote:
Shortly thereafter, she went on maternity leave...
A little background before getting to the meat of the next one is in order because the next lie I told needs contextualizing. I had recently landed a job, which paid a tad bit more, at an upscale retirement home, cooking one notch above short order. I was hired, background-checked, and started before the results came. Three days into my new found position I was suspended until further notice due to some red flags that involved possession charges a number of years prior and in another state. I don’t really remember what they had to verify, but they verified whatever it was, and I was allowed to restart just as maternity leave began.

Maternity leave meant eight weeks of no leaving for my wife and potentially no opportunities for me to drink the way I wanted to. There are many different types of alcoholics and at this point in time, I was not of the type that had to drink every day. I was the type that drank to excess every single time I took one, but every single time didn't occur on the daily. Honestly, I’m not quite sure which type is worse. The real world ramifications caused by the version of me you'll meet later on, who has to drink every day get well, are much more obvious to the outside observer. But what goes on in the mind of that me who is still making attempts to control is, in a word, torture.

For one thing there are all of the lies I was carrying around. Then there are the lies I would tell to cover up those. To keep all that going there are lies within lies that are needed to support all of the lies I had previously told, and keeping track of all that is a nightmare. Then there’s the planning and scheming that goes into what’s going to happen when I drink my next one, and what I’m going to do to get more. Where am I going to hide the flask? What am I going to tell them so I can go back into the house to get it? Is my sock thick enough to hold this bottle? Is there a bar at this place where the table can’t see? What am I going to do with all these empties? How am I going to get the money for more? When I’m in this state I don’t think about her, them, or anyone else, because all I can think about is drinking.

It is this version of me that clocked in at work and decided the best place to get what I wanted would be right there. The average temperate drinker has probably never drank cooking wine before. It’s thick, salty, and tastes like garbage but will get the job done if consumed in the proper amount. The storeroom in the kitchen where I worked was chalk full of the stuff and, being as I had to cook with it, having it around wasn't out of the ordinary. A 24oz Styrofoam cup would last about half a shift before I’d have to go to the back and replenish.

It was less than ten working days before I was fired...

I decided the best plan of action was to not say a word because my mother was in town, to ready us for new the baby, who was soon on the way. My wife and my mom picked me up after I called and said; guess what? I’m off early. I remember them picking me up. I remember saying nothing. I remember sitting in the back seat. Then, I remember looking through my mother’s purse and finding the pills. They were ant-anxiety of some kind that didn't matter and down my throat they went.

I remember a restaurant. I remember enchiladas. I remember nearly passing out at the table. Then, I remember the shower when I got home. My mother had gone to the bathroom before I jumped in and had left her purse inside. I remember looking. I remember finding. Then, I remember my wife opening the door just as I spilled the pills on the tile. This stories conclusion is very blurred, due to my state of intoxication at this point, but I remember her telling my mom. I remember them calling my dad and the story just kind of disappears from there.

It would be a week, at least, before I made any mention of losing the job. I had too much on the line and the version of me who keeps up appearances was in full swing. Saying that it would have been much easier to simply tell her the truth, in light of what I’m about to tell you, would be an understatement. She and I were sharing a car. Since my status of employment was still in the dark, I figured the best play was to just have her take me there anyway. This game of dropping me off at a job I didn't have would continue until I formulated a suitable cover up plan. Formulating that plan took, again, about a week and here’s what I came up with…

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #39
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Quote:
This game of dropping me off at a job I didn't have would continue until I formulated a suitable cover up plan. Formulating that plan took, again, about a week and here’s what I came up with…
Hello, hi honey. Oh I’m okay, I guess. Well, my past has come back to bite me AGAIN. They just called me into the office and told me that they made a mistake on my background check clearance. Yeah I know they said they had cleared it but, the thing is, they had to send it through another system since I’m going to be in close contact with the residents at the facility. They cleared me at first for working in the kitchen only but, due to my past, I was flagged again when they updated my employee file to include dining room duties.

I seem to remember faking a cry with a crackling voice during that call. She came to pick me up, asked some questions, but all in all…she bought it. The real trouble with this lie came when my final check arrived in the mail.

Another thing that was problematic with my lies besides the primary lie itself was, typically, many of them didn't fix the problem. They simply delayed the inevitable and delaying the inevitable didn't come without cost. What you have to understand is delaying the inevitable meant creating an entire new set of problems. Problems with their own new time tables that would one day expire. New reasons would then need presenting, in order to keep the primary lie intact, and more importantly, the chronic condition protected. You can easily see how a thing like this can quickly turn into something unmanageable. This was how I lived and this is what I mean when I say torture.

I remember her bringing the mail in and I remember her opening up the check. She looked at the check, she looked at me, she looked at the check then probably said this isn't right. Timelines and details are blurry here too but a few key points I remember. I remember a calendar. I remember a calculator. I remember telling her that I should have another one coming because of the way the pay schedule is handled. I remember her telling me that based upon the dates this check should include everything. She told me to call human resources, and being as it was after five, I told her that I would do it tomorrow. Tomorrow came and went; she came home, and followed up.

Well, yeah, no I didn't I was so busy looking for a job that it must have slipped my mind.

This type of song and dance went on for several days until we hit a weekend. I thought surely she would just drop it. Instead she went and found my employee handbook. She found a number, a name, and gave me explicit instructions to call first thing Monday. She was there when I made the call. She was listening when I faked the message. This part of the song and dance continued on for much longer than I had planned. I remember getting another job. I remember getting ready for the baby. I remember my mother coming back to town for the birth. I remember my daughter being born. Then, I guess the issue just went away.

And there you have the first seven months of my marriage. In this short span of time I had hidden, and she had found, more bottles than the one in the basket. I had been caught breaking into our neighbor’s house. I had lost a job, stolen pills from my mom, and lied my way out of it all. I can honestly say, my intentions were different, but intentions mean nothing when a drink is on the line. There were many more lies than this, to cover up things smaller in nature, but the ones just recalled are of note. The average temperate drinker would reassess, and even stop, but that version of me didn't know another way.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 AM   #40
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

I dont want you to take this the wrong way, but im sortof hooked, and ill probably stay with you on this one till your finished. Your honesty and some of the things i recognize VERY well from my own life make these stories oddly(?) appealing, but lets not forget that i also really like the way you write them. Descriptive and pretty complete yet never overburdened. And now i feel clumsy with words but that happens sometimes.

Advertisements

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks
Thanks to twilitez
RFJ (09-01-2014)
Closed Thread