**OUT NOW** IDMf042 VA - Metaphase - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 30-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #101
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108050
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,388 Posts
Re: **OUT NOW** IDMf042 VA - Metaphase

Track by track revie w- very nice Qianta. You forgot to review yours though - someone needs to get it done.

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #102
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388249
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts

Just realised I hadn't read this thread yet. I shared up the album release in various places the day it appeared but looks like I totally missed this thread

Good work all. And props as usual to Ben for lots of hard work getting it all together.

Got a nice cup of coffee? You'll need it if you're reading on

The direct music info is pretty basic stuff, you're not likely to read anything revolutionary music-creation-wise.
From my side of the collab: Dull prose in 3...2...1...

First thing I did was go off and listen to Xenon's tracks in the LB to get a feel for what kind of stuff was likely to get shared.

Took me a few days to get around to sorting out things like dropbox. We use different DAWs so the obvious thing was to share everything as .WAVs with the greatest bit depth possible. Also there's a bit of a time difference so we were usually slightly out of sync. Not a big deal really.

Next thing was design goals. I had originally wanted to do something more noisy but figured ambient-ish, slightly Kraftwerky building into a trance type finish would likely work ok. Natch it all depended on how the flow went and what Xenon came up with. But as a starting point it was all good.

There was a quite a bit of fiddling about. It took me about 5 attempts to come up with something I was happy to share. I completely cocked up one of the attempts by accidently turning it into a complete song. At this point I realised I had to learn to stop. If it felt good, don't keep going, just share the lurve.

I sent off an MP3 to Xenon that he could play alongside and start working on some bits. In some ways I think he got the harder job. It didn't matter to me whether everything I'd sent got used as a springboard and get junked, or got built on, or was just integrated as part of different sections.

So long as something came back Thunderbirds were go.

The first thing written that is in the final track is the riff that plays throughout. It ended up being the glue for everything that happens. It plays in the intro right through to the very end. I had originally intended for it to be the first thing that plays over the ambient start but the piano part that Xenon came up with was a much better start.

There's actually two piano parts in the track. The original Xenon-part and me pretending to be Xenon. To mix it up a bit, I learned the part that Xenon had created, played it slightly differently and used that too. Gave us even more components to play around with for arrangement purposes. But Xenon gets credit for the piano because it all came from him and anything that wasn't his was a copy with minor variation.

So we started bouncing stuff back and forward. In fairness, most of what we came up with and shared got used. Its a little while ago now but I don't think there was much we shared that didn't get used.
I remember sitting thinking at one point, "Hey this whole not-having-to-do-everything-myself is really cool!"

And so my dropbox started to fill up with cool stuff. I'd work on the arrangement and some of the bits, share it with Xenon, stuff would come back. We bounced a lot of the stuff back and forward a few times before we felt it was just right. It was more like chatting than working. Very relaxed.

Every few days I'd generate a new mixdown for checking, review and new input. Real life was the main interrupting factor I think for both of us.

Music bits:

The bass drum. Oh man this was fun. Its a standard bassdrum from Battery. Well to start with
Its distorted and squelched to hell and back. The goal was to come up with somethng that was obviously doing what a bassdrum would do but to make it wet, farty and with more splat than seagull shite from 100 feet up. Job done. A lot of the time it sounds like its hitting twice but its only hitting once but has so much squelch (ok ok resonance), that it farts halfway through and comes back.
Sometimes it does hit twice. Good luck figuring out which is which because without loading it back up into Sonar I'm not sure myself

Aside from the main riff, the only other part that plays throughout the track is the main drum pattern. Its an odd, offbeat rythmn but because the 'straight' part of each bar is given by the bassline, its not so noticable that its off. Especially when we build into Xenon's driving bassline for the last section, its barely noticable that its somehow not-quite-right. Again, stuff like this I think gives coherence to the track because of the mixture of styles.

Most of the glitched drums are Xenon's work. I just mentioned we should include some at various points and next day Santa had dropped a bunch of stems in my dropbox. I did a few but most of the yummy glitch drums are his

Xenon's parts I felt suited the end of the song more than the post-intro pre-end. So elements like the bassline in start are mine but towards the end its Xenon's - because Xenon gave it way more drive than I did. They're not very similar at all but the drums and main riff are still there giving it continuity and so we have coherence from start to finish despite a near-complete change in sound palette and a different style.

I spent a lot of time on the arrangement. The end result appears quite simple I guess. Because we were mixing styles up, the aim was to have enough elements playing throughout that didn't make it repetitive but avoided losing cohesion.

Nobody on these forums is likely to be shocked that the ambient sounds are the original sound removed, leaving only the reverb then various components automated to give it movement. Some stuff layered on top. To be sure I'd have to go back and check. Nothing too complex though. Fun? Oh hell yes.

Naturally its entirely up to others to decide if it worked or not.

Good fun doing this, very easy to work with Xenon and cheers for letting us onto the release

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #103
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Xenon's parts I felt suited the end of the song more than the post-intro pre-end. So elements like the bassline in start are mine but towards the end its Xenon's - because Xenon gave it way more drive than I did. They're not very similar at all but the drums and main riff are still there giving it continuity and so we have coherence from start to finish despite a near-complete change in sound palette and a different style.
this worked really well. enough cohesion due to the elements that are kept the same. enough variation with the different bassline and new synth parts. track has really good flow.

thanks for the detailed write up. really enjoyed reading that.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #104
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qianta View Post
14. AutomageddonVSNumerical - Tyrannosaur ~ Whoa, am i at an AC/DC concert? Naw, sounds more like Iron Maiden... this sounds like the intro to some horror movie, or the start of concert, or the end! :O really nice guitary chords mate, but that guy called me fucking stupid -_-
I get the feeling you don't listen to much guitar music. [hears guitar] whoa sounds like Zeppelin, maaaan! Is that freedom rock? Well TURN IT UUUUP!

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #105
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!
MC Status: 2413771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I get the feeling you don't listen to much guitar music. [hears guitar] whoa sounds like Zeppelin, maaaan! Is that freedom rock? Well TURN IT UUUUP!
every road i take i listen to " Q 94.5 THE ROCK STATION" so yah

------------------
COME SHOW YOUR CREATIVITY, MAKE SOMETHING IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!

Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #106
Akiak
Sample Destroyer
Akiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to beholdAkiak is a splendid one to behold
Napoli
MC Status: 960

Just listened to the whole thing in the background. Although I'm not into trap, I really liked the rest of the album. 9deep was fantastic, awesome job you two.

Advertisements

Akiak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote