**OUT NOW** IDMf042 VA - Metaphase - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 19-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #41
Benwaa
Re: **OUT NOW** IDMf042 VA - Metaphase

anyway, back on happy topic

this albums tracks on SC have been collectively played in total more than 1000 times in the past 24 hours

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #42
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
we put decent effort into this track. first time i ever collaborated with a guy in ANOTHER COUNTRY with a TIME DIFFERENCE. he even sought me out and asked me to collab with him, which is was nice! trying to make it not sound fucking dumb, making dope patches, trying to add a bit of each other into it. trying to make it awesome because we were going against forum vets and this happens? i even added a little note about my name since it was different.
Bummer about this misunderstanding. But did you guys enjoy yourselves? Post the track. I'm sure people would check it out. Tell us about your experience collaborating with someone from another country.

In fact, I think it would be very educational for a lot of people to hear the "couples" describe their experience working on this compilation.

How did you come up with the initial idea? How did you divide the responsibilities? What was your approach to handling logistics of collaborating over the internet? How did you handle disagreements (if any)? What did you learn from this?
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
Muse-ic (19-11-2013)
Old 19-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #43
Bio Tainted
Bio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MCBio Tainted is a savage MC
Weston-super-Mare/Stafford
MC Status: 9491858

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbound View Post
Bummer about this misunderstanding. But did you guys enjoy yourselves? Post the track. I'm sure people would check it out. Tell us about your experience collaborating with someone from another country.

In fact, I think it would be very educational for a lot of people to hear the "couples" describe their experience working on this compilation.

How did you come up with the initial idea? How did you divide the responsibilities? What was your approach to handling logistics of collaborating over the internet? How did you handle disagreements (if any)? What did you learn from this?
In my case, if jazzyspoon ever disagreed with me i sent him a picture of my arse. We both had a lot of disagreements.

------------------
Master by Benwaa -
Bio Tainted is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #44
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:

I'd like to hear about this from anyone else who took part too.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #45
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio Tainted View Post
In my case, if jazzyspoon ever disagreed with me i sent him a picture of my arse. We both had a lot of disagreements.
he must've been faking it, then.

TIL: jazzyspoon has a hairy arse fetish.
Thanks to iDoG
Jazzyspoon (19-11-2013)
Old 19-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #46
Xenon
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
I'd like to hear about this from anyone else who took part too.
Roo and me didn't really have any disagreements. It actually just took a while to get started but when we did it all went smooth I think, on my side it did anyway... Roo just set up a dropbox folder he shared with me and everything went in there. He made the first part, sent it to me, I added stuff, sent it back, etc. Like musical ping-pong or something...

In the end Roo did the whole arrangement and sent it to Benwaa... He did a much better job of it than I would ever have.

Sometimes I felt like I didn't really do much and other times I felt like a whining child tugging on his mother's sleeve: "Mommy, listen to this", "Mommy, what do you think of that"...

But in the end I'm proud of our attempt. Cheers Roo!!!

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #47
iDoG
Chicago

I first "met" Ttinga in Listening Booth. I left some feedback for one of his tracks. He commented on mine. And we started following each other's stuff after a while. We both have an interest in darker, more experimental techno (among other things) and something Ttinga is quite good at, though it's not something I really tried concentrating on (yet). So when this comp was announced, I contacted him to see if he'd be interested in trying to do something. I was initially thinking of doing some kind of a post-rock/idm hybrid with harsh synthetic drums and spacey guitars, but was open to whatever. I had a bunch of little snippets as private tracks on my SC, so I sent a bunch of those to him to see if anything grabbed his interest. I love sound-on-sound looping where I load a random Battery kit, get a simple beat going via Akai MPD24, and then start layering a shitload of guitars on top of each other without 2nd guessing myself too much. I have dozens and dozens of these little jams. So I sent him a bunch of these. And he picked a couple, including this one:

which eventually got turned into

He liked it because it was at a good tempo for what he had in mind and the bassline was just asking for a broken techno beat. So I sent him the stems and also did a rough midi transcriptions of the bassline and some of the melodies. So now we had something to start with.

We also discussed practicalities of doing this collaboration. He's an Ableton user and my DAW of choice is Cubase, but since I do know my way around Ableton, I was ok with using Ableton for this. I wanted to get deeper into Ableton anyway and this was a good excuse to do it. We decided it would be the easiest to just stick with stock Ableton plugins and just pass the self-contained project back and forth without worry. I suggested we use my Box.net account and I just set up a shared folder for us to use.

The first time Ttinga sent me the project, he already had the kick drum patterns and layered kick samples that pretty much remained mostly unchanged until the final version. He had some ideas for the intro and some textures he wanted to use. I was digging what I was hearing and it was pretty cool for me to see the way he set up things. I never really played around with racks, though I was aware of them, so it was cool to inspect them. He also had some loops of odd length (3, 5 bars) that would create these seemingly irregular cycles. Again, a fairly common technique in techno and something I was aware of, but never really played around with, so it was pretty cool to see it in action.

We switched to the Arrangement view pretty quickly, maybe after 2 sessions. I tend not to like too much movement in the basslines for techno and psytrance, so I suggested we don't follow the original snippet by going up and down the scale, as that wasn't really working for me in this context. I tried to use some of the original spacey guitars, but they were totally clashing with the creepy textures. Even after roughening them up and resampling them several times, they really weren't fitting for me. But instead of taking them out completely, I just buried them in the mix, just to add a little something something subliminal. I also played around with the synth melodies I transcribed from guitars. For one of them, as I was tweaking the Delay, I realized I liked how the feel completely changed (for the better) if I didn't have any Dry signal going through. Changed a few notes at the end of the phrase to make it more interesting and that was it, as far as melodies.

I sent this back to Ttinga and he fleshed out the arrangement, made a cool intro, and refined the bass and percussion. So pretty early on, we had the whole arrangement laid out, with 2 sections and a break - about 5 minutes long. The rest of the time was spent fine tuning details. I thought the track might sound better at a faster tempo, but was surprised how completely ridiculous it sounded even 5 bpms faster. I think we ended up 1 bpm faster than the original, since I felt that added just a little bit more drive, without really changing the feel. I also thought the 2nd section was hypnotic enough that we could ride it longer. So I added, 16 more bars at the end. Ttinga didn't think it was necessary, but was cool with leaving it in, if I wanted it. After listening to it for a bit, I agreed with him that it just dragged things out unnecessarily. Ttinga is a fan of voice samples, so he threw a bunch of them throughout the track. I'm not a big fan of voice samples, but I think they can be cool if done tastefully. I thought he had them repeat too many times and the impact was lessened because of it. He agreed and so we settled on what you can hear in the final track. We experimented with having another break in the middle of the 2nd section, but I felt it totally killed the drive of the track, so we settled on a really short one, just to give a quick breather.

I think the only thing we kind of disagreed on was the amount of bass saturation that gets applied half way through the 2nd part. Ttinga wanted more more MOAR and I felt it affected the low end too much and kind of smudged up the bass, so much so that it even started sounding 'off' time-wise to me. Everything else up until this point was 'hey, I'm cool with whatever', but for this thing, it seemed we had stronger feelings on the subject. We went back and forth a few times and settled somewhere in the middle.

We were both tweaking the mix as the tune progressed. Towards the end, our emails about what we had done started getting pretty detailed. Like, 20-30 bullet points describing a change in parameter here, a dropped note there, etc. I see 10 uploads in my Box account, so we had about 5 turns each to work on the track. We exchanged about 80 emails in that time. Clear and timely communication was a big factor for making this entire process so smooth. We both have families, so it was cool to know upfront if someone had something going on that weekend, so the other person can have a few extra days to work on shit before sending it back. I also kept uploading WIPs to SC so we could both listen at work and make notes and discuss things. Made it really easy to fire up the DAW in the evening and jump right into it, since there was a list of things to do.

Overall, I was really surprised how smoothly the whole process went, considering it was my first collaboration (and Ttinga's too, I believe). It was really cool to see someone else's way of working. It was an interesting experience to do a whole track in Ableton for me. It not being my main DAW never really got in my way. And I really like the way automation and resampling is done in Ableton and I totally went overboard with both just because they are so easy (it's not so bad in Cubase, but Steinberg should totally steal Ableton's approach to both of them to remove a few extra steps... I still prefer Cubase overall). I think our track is pretty simple, but there IS a crapload of automation going throughout the track which adds so much movement to all the textures and synth lines. Fun to listen to in headphones. I dig that.

So, yeah, this was a really great experience. I'm pretty sure Ttinga and I will work on other things together in the future.

TL;DR - My advice to people wanting to do collaborations: 1) Make sure your communication style is clear and timely; 2) Check your ego at the door, be flexible, and be objective as much as you can. What's most important is the overall track. So if you spent 3 hours crafting something, but it doesn't really fit the overall story, delete that shit and move on to something more useful; 3) Listen to your WIPs outside the DAW and make lists of shit to do - they'll help you keep moving things along at a nice pace.

Last edited by iDoG; 19-11-2013 at 05:25 PM..
Old 19-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #48
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!
MC Status: 2413771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
so "ETF-Skycr-track-final" is meant to be decipherable for me when there's over 100000 registered users on the forum? it's meant to be easy for me when i have a life outside of the forum? it's meant to be easy for me when in every submission OP I ASK THAT THE FILENAME IS CLEARLY MARKED WITH FORUM NAME AND ARTIST NAME PLUS CONTACT INFORMATION BECAUSE WE GET SO MANY FUCKING TRACKS IN THE FEED YOURS WILL DISAPPEAR AFTER 2 DAYS OWN THE LIST??

fuck off, it's you're own fault(s) for not botherig to read the requirements and fucking it up expecting me to not only organise the whole thing in my spare time but chase after idiots who cannot be bothered to check and check again they have followed the fucking rules.

You put a lot of effort into your one track, guess what? I put a shit ton of effort into running the label for fuck all in my spare time, if you didn't notice it's been dropped late too due TO HAVING A FUCKING LIFE OUTSIDE OF THIS PLACE and don't need such bullshit from little twats with attitude because they fucked up. so no, no beef at all. well not until just a moment ago.
Benwaa's the man.

------------------
COME SHOW YOUR CREATIVITY, MAKE SOMETHING IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!

Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #49
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qianta View Post
Benwaa's the man.
Yes..Benwaa IS a man..I think we can be sure of that.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #50
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
& @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: awesome, appreciate you writing that out. Was cool to read it & then go back and listen to the track. Actually - you sharing about how you did it has made this album even better imo . Thanks again.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #51
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

I've had a chance to listen to the album several time I have to say it really is fantastic. One thing that stands out is how well the tracks were laid out and they all seem to fit to make a cohesive album. I have to say my favorites (atm) although hard to choose, are 5) Moldweave, 12)Clabb 19, and 7) Congeal. Great work everyone!
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Ttinga (19-11-2013)
Old 19-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #52
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

During the last open genre contest, 039, which you submitted for and made it on, it was made clear from that competition on, any track with tracks improper track file name gets binned.

I feel your pain but, it is what it is.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #53
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
During the last open genre contest, 039, which you submitted for it was made clear that from that comp on any track with tracks improper track file name gets binned.

I feel your pain but, it is what it is.
too harsh, especially after all the information is there. which just takes your eyes to understand. i also privated messaged benwaa and he replied clearly in understanding.
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #54
Jazzyspoon
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 35996296

Just had a chance to listen through the whole album twice, uninterrupted (a rare event in my life these days). Phenomenal work. Another proud release from the forum and netlabel. It's been said, but great work on the mastering and track order, Ben. The whole thing has a really nice flow.

For collabs, I'm a bit of a veteran, but i'll say I generally approach them as "conversational remixes". We just keep remixing the idea and sending back and forth until one of the people lands on a mix worth stopping on. Both partners were agreeable, but gave a good amount of feedback over time. Both showed me pictures of their asses on pinterest and I knew these were the collab partners for me.

------------------
Jazzyspoon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #55
Benwaa

I have to say i'm really pleased with the whole album. the diversity of tracks and approaches made for an intense mastering experience and probably the hardest track ordering i've ever done! Not for any negative reasons i may add either, the level of quality in the productions is outstanding throughout, and each track has it's own definite place on the album rather than one track into another one similar - something there's very little of overall which i love, that individualistic feel to every piece of music is strong in this release
I find that weird and curious in a way as every track is obviously not made by any one individual, yet every track is distinct in it's own character.

A couple of questions i have for the artists/collaborators on this is:
How much "yours" personally do you feel your track is when you compare it to other solo works of yours? is there something you recognise as definitely you/your sound? or would you say so for the person you worked with you recognise their sound in the piece? or ultiately perhaps you feel it's completely unique to what either of you would normally do?
I'm interested in how you "see2 your finl track and how you relate to it.
I have another project myself that's a permanent collaboration, so i know what my personal experience with that is, but i wonder what yours is?
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #56
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I'd also like to know if anyone found it hard letting go and handing something they worked on over to another person without knowing what might happen to your original vision for the piece.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #57
Ttinga
Ttinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to behold
Chicago
MC Status: 960

Quote:
The Great American Novel
I agree with all of this and really enjoyed the collaboration. My take-aways were similar. I think it is important to be willing to take criticism of the parts you work on, and to give criticism as well of the parts the other person worked on. I think DED and I did a good job of being honest with each other on the piece. I also think that using the same DAW and plugins and exchanging a set over something like Box.com is really the way to go. Just makes it so much easier. I do still resent DED for not letting me saturate the bass more....:problemofficer:

Quote:
I'd also like to know if anyone found it hard letting go and handing something they worked on over to another person without knowing what might happen to your original vision for the piece.
Not at all. If anything it's a relief to be able to pass the project to someone else and let them work on it for a while.

------------------
Ttinga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #58
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

Very enjoyable release. Was a bit surprised at some of the tracks, only because I'd not really heard their stuff before. With 15 being subbed and only one out because it couldn't be tracked down, I'd say really cool. I'll have to say that Auto and No Floors track and Stercogburn and Xenon are my early favorites.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
Xenon (20-11-2013)
Old 20-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #59
frankie5fingers
Sample Destroyer
frankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond repute
Ohio
MC Status: 3410

I liked working on this. if you listen to any of my or The Loudness' music you definitely hear who did what. especially since our sound is very different from each other. i felt that are music blended well together.

as for our process, it really was just a back and forth sending of the track. to answer RFJ's question about letting go, i was ok with it. i mean, i like to have as much control over my music as possible but i also like hearing how other people go from where i stop. its interesting to see where they take the song.

Overall, pretty good experience. would love to collab again for any future releases.

------------------
frankie5fingers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #60
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!
MC Status: 2413771

Quote:
Heck no! Stem's awesome as hell, I was shocked he wanted to collab, I would hand him anything, anytime, ANYWHERE

Advertisements

------------------
COME SHOW YOUR CREATIVITY, MAKE SOMETHING IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!

Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote