Ambient/Soundscape - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

View Poll Results: Would you participate in an Ambient/Soundscape beat tape?
Sign me up! 25 96.15%
I'll pass.. 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 25-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184410
Thanked 3,688 Times in 2,749 Posts
Re: Ambient/Soundscape

Following on my early post today about the rules/guidelines..Kong has confirmed he will be posting these at some point..so keep an eye out for em. Not point badgering him about em either..just be patient and focus on producing the track you want to submit.

By the way, I should point out now that there is only one track / entry allowed per person..so you really need to give this your "all" if you seriously intend taking part. There's a lot of talented people who have put their names down for this and the places are strictly limited. It would be really great if everyone could get a track included on the release, but there are only so many slots going a begging..so best of luck to each and everyone of you..myself included!

Also, just looking to see if there is anyone interested in putting some artwork together for the release? Not actually asking at this stage of the game..but just sounding out who can do what and is willing to do so when the time comes. If anyone is interested in that side of things just PM either myself or Artifiseer and let us know.

Thanks

Advertisements

A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 25-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #22
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
Ideas / Ambient soundscapes in general.

Just wanted to put some links / vids up to help inspire you guys. These are by no means implying you have to submit stuff along the same lines..just meant as a means to point you in the right direction, if you know what I mean.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **

Like I said, these are meant only as a general guide for inspiration. If your stuff is different, that's cool..just listen to the above tracks and you should be able to hear the similarities clear enough sound-wise. Having said that, this post is obviously aimed at those who are not too sure what an ambient soundscape is and should be taken as a starting point only.

AM

Last edited by A.M; 25-09-2012 at 02:29 PM..
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
Divercity (25-09-2012)
Old 25-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
chooko
Soundscaper
chooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MC
Mid/Side Europe
MC Status: 142000
Re: Ideas / Ambient soundscapes in general.

love that solar fields track,
btw for that last track you meant just the intro right? because the rest sounds like some militant pop music
Quote:
just listen to the above tracks and you should be able to hear the similarities clear enough sound-wise. Having said that, this post is obviously aimed at those who are not too sure what an ambient soundscape is and should be taken as a starting point only.
earlier in this thread you said:
Quote:
This is for AMBIENT SOUNDSCAPES ONLY! No Glitch/Dubstep/Rap/Trance or anything else..JUST AMBIENT SOUNSCAPES.
Keep in mind..all music has ambiance..but not all music is ambient!
now i know you posted those tracks just as a pointer, but it could be a little confusing cause some of those videos got percussion in it

tbh i'm also not sure what would be acceptable and what elements would cross the line...but i guess some of these could be a safe bet?

------------------

chooko is offline   Thanks
Old 25-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #24
A.M

Quote:
..btw for that last track you meant just the intro right? because the rest sounds like some militant pop music
Fair point on the ITN track..and yeah, the intro was the main point of relevance in regards to what we are doing here..but I removed it, as it would only cause untold confusion. Shouldn't have linked it in the first place.

Quote:
..now i know you posted those tracks just as a pointer, but it could be a little confusing cause some of those videos got percussion in it
This seems to be a bit of a tricky point in the land of ambient endeavors..and I knew it was only a matter of time before it popped up in this thread..so congrats on being the one to broach the subject.

In short, there is nothing wrong using percussion in an ambient soundscape, as it's all about setting the mood of the piece and the over-all feeling it instills in the listener. Percussion can and does play an important part in this..and it's how you use it that is important..if you chose to use it.

There's an on-going debate about should percussion be used or not..but we are not going to start debating it here, as that would only lead to even more confusion. This is going to be an ambient soundscapes release and the use of percussion will be allowed..but it's up to the individual to do their homework and judge just how much or how little of it they should use, if they are going to use it. It really isn't an issue..but a matter of preference.

Quote:
..tbh i'm also not sure what would be acceptable and what elements would cross the line...but i guess some of these could be a safe bet?
I know what you mean..and yes, the vids you posted are VERY SAFE examples of ambient soundscapes. But there is a very thin line between an ambient soundscape and certain types of movie scores..and everyone knows what a score sounds like, whereas some the members here don't really know what an ambient soundscape sounds like..that's why I used Zimmer's "Time" above as an example. There is no hard and fast rule about what "kind" of ambient soundscape a person can submit..it can be "Minimal" or "Epic". for the sake of examples in all of this, lets use the vids you posted above as being "Minimal" and those I posted as being "Epic". Again, these are general examples only..and if those who are not too familiar with ambient soundscapes stick within the two they won't go far wrong.

Anyway, it would be nice to see a release that has a bit of variety on it, rather than a full album of Drone/Space Music..which I'm sure won't be the case anyways, going by the names of those who are getting into this. But who knows? It will be up to the judges to choose which are the best. And that won't be for some time yet..so folks can post here if they need any clarification on all of this.
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
chooko (25-09-2012)
Old 25-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #25
chooko
Soundscaper
chooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MC
Mid/Side Europe
MC Status: 142000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
In short, there is nothing wrong using percussion in an ambient soundscape, as it's all about setting the mood of the piece and the over-all feeling it instills in the listener. Percussion can and does play an important part in this..and it's how you use it that is important..if you chose to use it.

There's an on-going debate about should percussion be used or not..but we are not going to start debating it here, as that would only lead to even more confusion. This is going to be an ambient soundscapes release and the use of percussion will be allowed..but it's up to the individual to do their homework and judge just how much or how little of it they should use, if they are going to use it. It really isn't an issue..but a matter of preference.
Thanks for the thorough elaboration!

then i'll probably be using some infrequent processed drum hits solely for mood enhancement after all,
nothing rythmical or groovy

------------------

chooko is offline   Thanks
Old 26-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooko View Post
Thanks for the thorough elaboration!

then i'll probably be using some infrequent processed drum hits solely for mood enhancement after all,
nothing rythmical or groovy
Go for it, dude!
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 26-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963548
Thanked 1,154 Times in 888 Posts

@amech: can this be considered as another benchmark, and he is also an Idmf artist

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks
Old 26-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

@amech: can this be considered as another benchmark, and he is also an Idmf artist

A big YES !

I know this guy's work..have done for some time. Found him on YouTube a while back and love his music, but am ashamed to say I've never actually bought any of his stuff..I meant to in the past, but must do so now I've been reminded. Thanks, B/F, for refreshing my memory!

To me, this IS ambient music and has that nice cinematic feel to it that I love personally. It seems many folks..and more than a few members on here, too..seem to think Ambient Soundscapes are nothing more than Drones and Space Music tracks..but they are only sub-parts of the Ambient Genre, to which there are many sub-groups or styles, Just like you have sub-groups or break-a-way genres of every major musical genre out there.

For some reason, this seems to be a hard point to get across to some people, who seem hell-bent of persisting that all things Ambient must be Drone in nature, which is total bullshit in mho. To be honest, and to clarify things a little for everyone reading this, entries into this are not for one certain style of ambient soundscape music..your entry can be Epic..Minimalistic..Drone..Space..Nature..anything that usual falls under the umbrella of Ambient music in general, as long as it is a Soundscape!

Again, if you still aren't sure what a soundscape is after reading this thread, then think of it this way: A Soundscape is pretty dame close to a Movie score musically..like the work of Zimmer, Vangelis and others. The "type" of soundscape depends on the influences and inspirations which drove the artist/producer to make it in the first place. In other words, if you are into a usual style of music, then your soundscape will no doubt reflect this in the overall sounds and elements/effects/found sounds you use in the making of it.

However, be clear on one important point: Some genres DO NOT tend to fit well as a basis for a soundscape..such as Glitch and DnB in particular, as well as heavy Rock, Puck, Dub Step and so on. This is mainly due to the sharp/loud/pace of such genres, which obviously clash with the intended or desired effect an ambient soundscape usually imbues..one of reflection and/or meditation on a mental scene of emotion inspired by the soundscape you are listening to at the time.

I keep going back to how movie-score-like soundscapes are, and that's because most are just that. Don't confuse a sound track with a sound score. A sound-score can be a sound track, but a sound track usually includes external chart or popular singles from known or independent artists which are released in their own right, as well as being released on an official soundtrack to a movie.

A sound score is more likely to be just the background or incidental music you hear throughout a movie and is usually composed by just one person, especially for the movie in question. It can be made up of various little pieces..or just one long work, which is edited to fit with the movie.

What we are looking for here in the entries is tracks which sound like they came from or could be used on a movie, full of atmosphere and mood..whatever that mood is you want the track to get across to the listener.

I don't think I can be any clearer than that..but I'll try if anyone is still have any problems understanding what this is all about and just what they should be aiming at to produce something they can submit.

Hope this helps..and sorry to everyone who already knows this stuff and for going into this in such details.

A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 28-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #29
AlphaQuadrant66
Master of the LFO
AlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant futureAlphaQuadrant66 has a brilliant future
Westfalen
MC Status: 1760

Wans´t active in the forum for some time, however if my time allows still interested in this one.

Just for info... is stuff ala Coldmeat Industries also allowed (means bands like Morthound, Idfrost, Raison détre etc.) I heard some of their newer stuff and noticed they use some kinds of percussion now in most tracks though. I have some older songs on a sampler from this label which are mostly beatless however. They also coined the term "death industrial" I believe. But normally it would be called dark ambient iirc.

2010 Raison détre track as example:

And one of my tracks which is also industrial-darkambient I believe:

------------------
http://www.last.fm/music/Alpha+Quadrant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ohoLNTrrk
Apparently the world is an orchestra of assholes, and they're playing in concert. ( hellsicon )
AlphaQuadrant66 is offline   Thanks
Old 28-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
Entropy
Savage Mad Cunt
Entropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MCEntropy is a savage MC
York
MC Status: 63087378

Um, when's the submission deadline for this?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
Seeing so many of my quotes in peoples Sigs makes me happy.
Entropy is offline   Thanks
Old 28-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #31
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Um, when's the submission deadline for this?
No deadline has been set as of yet, and it could be a while before that's determined, so there's still plenty of time to work on your submission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQuadrant66
Wans´t active in the forum for some time, however if my time allows still interested in this one.

Just for info... is stuff ala Coldmeat Industries also allowed (means bands like Morthound, Idfrost, Raison détre etc.) I heard some of their newer stuff and noticed they use some kinds of percussion now in most tracks though. I have some older songs on a sampler from this label which are mostly beatless however. They also coined the term "death industrial" I believe. But normally it would be called dark ambient iirc.
Sounds to me like it would be acceptable, but you'd have to ask AMechanics to confirm that.

Last edited by Artifiseer; 28-09-2012 at 05:25 PM..

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #32
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQuadrant66 View Post

2010 Raison détre track as example:

And one of my tracks which is also industrial-darkambient I believe:

Ah... Coldmeat Industries..there's a real "blast from the past" for me..haven't heard that label mentioned in a long time! Guess I've been hanging out with a different crowd or something.

Yeah, stuff like the above should be fine..as long as it is your own work and not remixed workings of other artists' tracks..basically your own stuff..which shouldn't be a problem for you, going by your work up on SC.
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

I'm definitely new to these things. It's about a time to try this out.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #34
A.M

Yeah..dark ambient is more than welcome..in fact, I'm expecting a lot of entries to be dark..don't ask me why..just seems to the thing these days.

Still, can't wait for the this to kick off from real and the day when we all start submitting our stuff..should be really cool!

In the meantime, get working on those tracks and make em the best you can..the competition is going to be massive!
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #35
ckiiln
Digital Surfer
ckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MC
MC Status: 47379586

Been working day in and out on a piece. Going to see if the creative juices will flow long enough for another one.

------------------
Sleep Paralysis Therapy

ckiiln is offline   Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #36
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

It's pretty much all I do, so if there is still time to contribute I'd love to. If not, no biggie.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #37
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiiln View Post
Been working day in and out on a piece. Going to see if the creative juices will flow long enough for another one.
Nice one, CK..wish I was the same..but these days my mind is all over the place..need to focus and get down to producing something worthwhile. Spending too much bloody time playing with soft synths and not enough time playing em, if you get my meaning.

Still, I've got the germ of an idea for a track in mind..just need to get it out into the DAW..and I'm still messing with sounds in my head to try and get the right sounds for the feel of the piece and how they will sit on the finished track.

Hoping to start actually playing some of it out for the first time this weekend..hopefully!
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #38
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
It's pretty much all I do, so if there is still time to contribute I'd love to. If not, no biggie.
DD, there's always time for you, my friend!

Seriously, there is no rush yet..as the date for submissions has yet to be decided..so you are more than welcome to jump in on this. In the meantime, all I'm trying to do is keep everyone on track..excuse the pun..and make sure we are all aiming towards getting something done and dusted, so when the time arrives we will all be ready to go and not end up slowing the whole process down..or just not bothering to turn something out for this!

Having said the above, I don't think these things are really going to be a issue, as all the members entering this to date seem to be good at what they usually do..so the standard of entries should be really high..which will be great for everyone in the end.

The only sad/bad thing is that not everyone is going to get a place on this release, as there will be only about 10 tracks at the most..so it really is a case of "the best ones will win"..hence my stressing we all need to start working on our tracks now..the more time we have to put into the productions of our tracks, the better our chances will be of getting one of those places on the release.
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #39
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Great. Sounds good.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

So the requirement is one ambient track.
When I feel that track is ready, where should I upload it?
Sorry for stupid question.

Last edited by ms_; 05-10-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread