Garage/Future Garage - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Garage/Future Garage beat tape?
Sign me up! 13 100.00%
I'll pass.. 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #41
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts
Re: [Garage/Future Garage Beat Tape Thread]

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhpanic

Advertisements

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #42
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175276390
Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,924 Posts

lol. I don't know how hungover you are but I'm guessing you know I'm joking...

Here's the deal for now.

I'm happy that a fair few people are interested in partaking with this. Since the first beat tape was in the works and I've been both busy and admittedly preoccupied with other things I haven't started anything with this yet. The way I see it is there's no rush as long as we start making some forward progress soon. I'm pretty chilled, so there's no rush, but if people want to start working on stuff that would be awesome, I'm going to start one or two pieces to add to the draw as of next week, probably Monday or Tuesday. No rush. Productivity encouraged from this point, but no rush.

When things start coming to fruition a little I'll start considering a deadline, but even that will probably be a little loose (just like the beats I want you to submit ROFL FUNNY RITE!?)

As far as I'm concerned uploading for feedback is fine, preferably privately on SC or somewhere hosted without ads for download but SC will probably get you more replies. Keep feedback concise and to the point all collected in this thread.

Examples.

Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about not being able to use stolen samples so pitching acapellas up and down isn't really an option. Admittedly we lose one of the main elements of the genre here, for FG particularly they are kind of crucial but there are a lot of royalty free loops floating around the internet, let me get back to you guys on this. If you can record your own, pitch them up, add reverbs and delays etc, they can be manipulated and buried in the mix and whatnot anyway.

Subs, ambience, sketchy beats, vocals/vocal cuts if you can, you know the drill

I'm happy to try to help people with acapella shit or anything else (not recording vocals for anyone else though, not a good singer :/ ). PM me if there's anything you want to know or anything I can help with in any way.

I'll try to find some acapella loop sites and shit for you soon and leave a list here.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #43
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

here ya go ya'll ...enjoy...royalty free...
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #44
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London

relic you bloody legend

------------------
Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #45
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn20 View Post
relic you bloody legend

Haha. No problem. You can't have a future garage tape w/o the pitched vocals! Also, there are lots of vocals on freesound.org ...some of them have the attribution creative commons license where you have to credit the person, but that shouldn't be an issue?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #46
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC

This is why I said I'd get back to you on this, basically it needs to be royalty free and CC licensed etc so source every vocal you use. It's a pain in the ass I know, sorry, but keep track of where everything comes from and make sure it's allowed to be used.

But still, I'll double check this and try to get a clearer guideline next week when I get the chance, if possible just worry about vocal later and do everything else for now if you've started working on anything.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #47
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Sorry if gummed up the works there man. I figured anything that was royalty free would fly.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #48
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

No mate, it's fine, I thought the same. I'm just saying don't jump the gun for a minute

Basically check for CC and royalty free (I think) but watch this space too.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #49
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Right on. Will do. : )
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #50
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim7
In reference to the fact that we're sort of just stepping up to start making stuff for the Garage/FG beat tape, what will and won't fly in terms of vocal sampling? Obviously stealing is a no no and someone's own vocals are fine, but what about royalty free acapellas downloaded from websites and the like, that's fine right? Do I have to do anything to prove to you where the vocals are coming from so you know no one can get in trouble and the like?
ok, indeed others' vocals are a BIG no no, you're also correct about if you've recorded the voacls yourself(or with a vocalist) then that's totally fine.
The royalty free ones it would be handy to have a reference link to their source and also as much as they're royalty free it depends on what the CC license is on those. if it's non existent then it could be dodgy ground, in which case contacting the originator of them first on oyour part would probably be best just to cover your arse. also a link to the origins of any samples used would be handy for the label as it means that a) we can properly credit the vocalist (if that's required) and if any unforseen problems do arise hen we have a link to use as to where the vocals came from and why we happily cleared them. I doubt we'll ever get sued over that sort of thing (unless its a major acapella) but it's always best to cover the bases just in case.
so yeah, its not a case of proving to the label more a case of the label having to prove the clearance of the samples/vocals used just in case.
hope that clears it man
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #51
chooko
Soundscaper
chooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MC
Mid/Side Europe
MC Status: 142000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim7 View Post
also a link to the origins of any samples used would be handy for the label as it means that a) we can properly credit the vocalist (if that's required) and if any unforseen problems do arise hen we have a link to use as to where the vocals came from and why we happily cleared them.
How about we clear one or two free acapellas - and all participants can use them in their tracks if needed/wanted.
-less links to manage, less bureaucracy,
and it could encourage everyone to chop & pitch those snippets and mutilate them the best we can, therefore encouraging creativity.
i've came across lots of garage tracks that had a whole a capella just laid over the track without any reference whose it is...im not saying this technique is fundamentally bad, but i assume there are more producers who prefer to play with snippets
just an idea

------------------

chooko is offline   Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #52
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

there's an awful fucking lot of public fucking domain and CC sharealike stuff all over the fucking internet for fucking christ's sake

did we really go from vinyl crate diggers to can't be arsed to google in 10 years?
lebeux is offline   Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #53
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto
MC Status: 4175236

Quote:
lol. I don't know how hungover you are but I'm guessing you know I'm joking...

Here's the deal for now.

I'm happy that a fair few people are interested in partaking with this. Since the first beat tape was in the works and I've been both busy and admittedly preoccupied with other things I haven't started anything with this yet. The way I see it is there's no rush as long as we start making some forward progress soon. I'm pretty chilled, so there's no rush, but if people want to start working on stuff that would be awesome, I'm going to start one or two pieces to add to the draw as of next week, probably Monday or Tuesday. No rush. Productivity encouraged from this point, but no rush.

When things start coming to fruition a little I'll start considering a deadline, but even that will probably be a little loose (just like the beats I want you to submit ROFL FUNNY RITE!?)

As far as I'm concerned uploading for feedback is fine, preferably privately on SC or somewhere hosted without ads for download but SC will probably get you more replies. Keep feedback concise and to the point all collected in this thread.

Examples.

Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about not being able to use stolen samples so pitching acapellas up and down isn't really an option. Admittedly we lose one of the main elements of the genre here, for FG particularly they are kind of crucial but there are a lot of royalty free loops floating around the internet, let me get back to you guys on this. If you can record your own, pitch them up, add reverbs and delays etc, they can be manipulated and buried in the mix and whatnot anyway.

Subs, ambience, sketchy beats, vocals/vocal cuts if you can, you know the drill

I'm happy to try to help people with acapella shit or anything else (not recording vocals for anyone else though, not a good singer :/ ). PM me if there's anything you want to know or anything I can help with in any way.

I'll try to find some acapella loop sites and shit for you soon and leave a list here.
sorry there's no room for upbeat happy shit like this?
nevermind the vocals, i don't care about that (although i will play with cc vocal samples), i'm talking about the synths. they're not dark and atmospheric like burial and stuff so.. are we ditching the oldschool uk garage stuff or squeezing it in?

edit: or are you gonna do a dark future garage thing first and for the second garage beat tape we'll go back to it's roots?
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #54
EatTheFood
EatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond repute
is NOT full of rich people.
MC Status: 8160

I'd prefer the dark side. But it's purely personal taste.

------------------
EatTheFood is offline   Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #55
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
sorry there's no room for upbeat happy shit like this?

nevermind the vocals, i don't care about that (although i will play with cc vocal samples), i'm talking about the synths. they're not dark and atmospheric like burial and stuff so.. are we ditching the oldschool uk garage stuff or squeezing it in?

edit: or are you gonna do a dark future garage thing first and for the second garage beat tape we'll go back to it's roots?
I prefer the darker stuff but I want a mix of it all personally. I'd be disappointed if no one submitted something with those organesque synths.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #56
fimpson
fimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MC
Reasonably far away.
MC Status: 26773877

I actually like the late 90's stuff much, much more than the new deep/meaningful stuff. So much more groovy and for some reason they nail the chords in every bloody track. If I figure out late 90's garage synth chords then my life will be complete

sidenote: some 90's stuff can actually get really fucking dark but still be upbeat and chordsy

------------------
Download my free 10 min EP from Brisbane netlabel Ender Beats

http://roppongi-sky.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/roppongi-sky
fimpson is offline   Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #57
Denial
was once a goat
Denial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MC
whoa that's a lotta numbers
MC Status: 76730950

tbh this is the one classic garage track that i actually know. it so yummy. if anyone can point me in the direction of more stuff like this, would be awesome

------------------
Denial is offline   Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #58
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

is liquid garage a thing?

thats what id imagine it to be like^

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #59
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto
MC Status: 4175236

Quote:
I prefer the darker stuff but I want a mix of it all personally. I'd be disappointed if no one submitted something with those organesque synths.
i have an idea of how to make it a bit more fitting for your tape. it won't be burial-dark, but i would like to make it dirty with lots of crackle and hiss and stuff while still ripping those little organ/electric piano chords. dunno if that's fitting but eh, we'll see.

@fimpson, i think they are bossa nova chords but i could be wrong. some tunes reminded me of it which is why i am really digging that old 90s stuff.
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #60
brn20
IDMf Artist
London

As long as no one gets all Craig David I don't care - the more variety the better. Quite interesting since when all that stuff was popular at the time I used to fucking hate it with a passion, but I guess that was all the popropiation of the genre.

edit: should say it doesn't really matter what I want since anyone can submit what they want, but that's my take on it. Would be good for the tape to have a common thread of some sort though.

Last edited by brn20; 03-09-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Closed Thread