Dubstep - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Dubstep beat tape?
Sign me up! 11 64.71%
I'll pass.. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #41
EatTheFood
EatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond repute
is NOT full of rich people.
MC Status: 8160
Re: [Dubstep Beat Tape Thread]

Yes I get your point Tree.
Making a list like you did and saying we want the old school sub-bass with some new type glitches for example would be a good start in fixing the guidelines of the tunes.
IMO

Advertisements

------------------
EatTheFood is offline   Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #42
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

i prob really over rationalized and categorize the gerne but still having it set like this will help clarify things, but honestly its really just up to what the people want to do so that vid you posted was a example of the two extremes somewhat moderated.
Skrillex is offline   Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #43
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541080
Thanked 7,003 Times in 4,976 Posts

I'm thinking now maybe I'm making this all too complicated, lol. I'm liking the variety of examples/influences being posted though guys. I want to had more to the conversation, but I need some time to think.

Everyone has their personal tastes and has an idea of what they would like to produce. It seems like the other tapes and just letting people do whatever within the broad spectrum of the genre. Would that just be easier and more fun for everyone? Just throwing that out there...I'd rather design a vibe for the tape...but if that is going to be a mountain to climb... : )

And I totally agree with you guys, this is getting too abstract. If we are going to design the vibe (so to speak) we need to set out some specific guide lines.

So it looks like we might want to do something like:

Tunes need to have an emphasis on subbass/"deep" bass, atmosphere, but also incorporate "modern" sound design (glitchy electro stuff?).

I could def. get down on a 16 bit type vibe or use a description something like the above ^

Thanks for listing those elements/descriptions Tree.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963548
Thanked 1,154 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic
tunes need to have an emphasis on subbass/"deep" bass, atmosphere, but also incorporate "modern" sound design
+1000000

Last edited by Br/ainfu+ked; 03-07-2012 at 03:07 PM..

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
relic (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #45
Decidan
Microknight
Decidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MC
Warwickshire
MC Status: 1105366

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

Tunes need to have an emphasis on subbass/"deep" bass, atmosphere, but also incorporate "modern" sound design
+2000000

This is a very good idea

I'd love to get involved in this but I am the most unreliable producer, plus I'm about to go travelling so shaln't get the time to co-operate so I'm not going to participate I'm afraid. But thanks for the invite Relic

------------------
Decidan is offline   Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #46
EatTheFood
EatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

tunes need to have an emphasis on subbass/"deep" bass, atmosphere, but also incorporate "modern" sound design (glitchy electro stuff?).

I could def. Get down on a 16 bit type vibe or use a description something like the above ^
+3000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #47
EatTheFood

16Bit is a very good reference for me. But I would take it to another level in adding more complex and glitchy sounds as his tunes are often repetetive.

EDIT: I wouldn't put the "modernism" to sound design criteria to the guidelines althgough the tape might be pretty "mashed up" if it's mixed with old and
new stuff. I don't know ... What do you peeps think ?

Last edited by EatTheFood; 03-07-2012 at 05:56 PM..

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #48
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Cool ya'll. Glad we are getting this quite narrowed. How do we describe those mid-rangey type sounds instead of using the word "modern"? I think getting Kong to post some example songs we come up with in the OP will be a good idea.

Last edited by relic; 03-07-2012 at 06:12 PM..

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #49
EatTheFood

Quote:
Cool ya'll. Glad we are getting this quite narrowed. How do we describe those mid-rangey type sounds instead of using the word "modern"?
Glitchy synths ?

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #50
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Win : )

I think we have our vibe gentlemen. I've got another producer lined up and I'll get Kong to add him to the list and re-post our new guidelines. Then it looks like we can get to producing. You may all want to go back over the stickies in the general beat tape subforum:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #51
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decidan View Post
+2000000

This is a very good idea

I'd love to get involved in this but I am the most unreliable producer, plus I'm about to go travelling so shaln't get the time to co-operate so I'm not going to participate I'm afraid. But thanks for the invite Relic
I remeber your thread about travel plans now! Totally jealous man : ) enjoy!

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #52
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Just a friendly reminder as you start working. No copyrighted samples and please do not share the music publicly or widely in private (if those are different). I'm available for comments and critique as well as the other producers on the project. Lets keep potential tunes inside this circle.

Thank you! I'm going to jump in ASAP.

------------------
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #53
EatTheFood

Now. START THE TUNES!

------------------
Old 04-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #54
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran

honestly, im having a hard time trying to glitch my subbass in my songs lmao it sounds really broken. i wonder will it be better to use my main melody as the glitch carrier.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #55
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yea...the description says glitchy synths/leads not glitchy sub bass : )

EDIT: I don't even know if it would be possible to make a sub bass "glitch" properly. You could modulate it w/ LFO...done that before, but there isn't much point unless you are doing James Blake style tunes.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Skrillex (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #56
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
San Fran

i mean it sounded like a good idea, you know, being on the proactive, but like then it turned out it wasn't.. XD
Old 04-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #57
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Ooooh. OK...I misread your post as you misreading. We like innovation though! Carry on sir...

Also, burn some meat and blow something up today, you are an American for fuck sake...

------------------
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #58
EatTheFood

Gonna try a little something out this week-end.

------------------
Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #59
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Awesome : )

I don't know when in the hell I'm going to get a chance to do anything... lol It looks like a I have a ton of free time...but really I'm stuck at work where I can usually only get away with silently browsing the internet from the computer that runs the cash register.

------------------
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #60
LotusEclectic
Analog Lurker
LotusEclectic will become famous soon enough
North Carolina
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Genre Manager: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Genre Co-Manager:

Participants:
  • fimpson
  • Tree
  • I/O_Madness
  • EatTheFood
  • AloneInTheDark

Release Titles:
  • Bass Anthropology

Release Rules/Ideas:
Hey, I'm in. Sign me up or whatever, working out the basics of my track now. gonna be 140, is that cool?

Advertisements

LotusEclectic is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread