Dubstep - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Dubstep beat tape?
Sign me up! 11 64.71%
I'll pass.. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 29-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #21
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto
MC Status: 4175236
Re: [Official Dubstep Beat Tape Thread]

yeah perhaps we're jumping the gun here hahah.
good luck with the recruiting!

Advertisements

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 29-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
EatTheFood
EatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond repute
is NOT full of rich people.
MC Status: 8160
Re: [Dubstep Beat Tape Thread]

If I get it, the idea is to do what kinda Skream and Benga did.
Take the good old Dubstep like Leofah or Burial and take it to another level, but differently than they did.
Am I getting this right ?

------------------
EatTheFood is offline   Thanks
Old 29-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #23
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542130
Thanked 7,024 Times in 4,989 Posts

^Yea...my original idea was to do a tape that took old school elements of dark garage and early dubstep and tried to do something new with them. Like rewind things and try to take it in a different direction then where we ended up going? If that makes sense.

Tree suggested doing an "all the flavors" of dubstep tape, which is an idea to consider too.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 29-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #24
EatTheFood
EatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond repute

^ Ok, would be great to "rewind" like you said. It's real Original.
I find that the "all the flavors" isn't good enough, and it's gonna be pretty complicated with the submissions.

------------------
Old 29-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #25
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatTheFood View Post
^ Ok, would be great to "rewind" like you said. It's real Original.
I find that the "all the flavors" isn't good enough, and it's gonna be pretty complicated with the submissions.

Cool. Thanks ...and yea...I can see things getting complicated. Also, it may end up being hard to get a balance of tracks because what ever the sound is that's "in" will certainly dominate submissions. Then we'd have to create additional guidelines to help balance things.

I was hoping to keep things simple and somewhat strict guideline wise to make things easier the first go around.

------------------
Old 29-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Also, please feel free to recruit producers from IDMf ! PM either Kong or I to add them to the list on the original post.

------------------
Old 29-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto

i was also thinking of a possible problem. let's say you are trying to score a bunch of legit tracks for all these different subgenres of dubstep that lead up to what it is today and there is only ONE submission for a certain genre but it sucks. it'll poke a hole in the concept.. just something to consider.

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 29-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963548
Thanked 1,154 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
i was also thinking of a possible problem. let's say you are trying to score a bunch of legit tracks for all these different subgenres of dubstep that lead up to what it is today and there is only ONE submission for a certain genre but it sucks. it'll poke a hole in the concept.. just something to consider.
don't just poke holes. please offer an idea that will help plug up/fix the said hole

Last edited by Br/ainfu+ked; 29-06-2012 at 03:46 PM..

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks
Old 29-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Kong
Toronto

well like you said previously, everyone should make more than one track just incase. i know benwaa strictly said one track for the open comp thing but this is a different idea and to ensure a proper release it shouldn't be an issue.

make more than one tracks people!

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 30-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #30
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

thats probably for the best then if we stick to one kind of dubstep, i took a look at the other tape threads and a few are going pretty specific in the kind of sound. when i look at the other threads regarding soundcloud, and music eps and ect in general, its just best to focus on one type of sound.
(production wise and publicity wise)

so i kinda honestly dont know where exactly to start now, but i DO know it means my track i did will be pointless now, so might have to save it up for next tape or send it to listening booth or whatever.

but whatever happens, im down for the brown, i hate just coasting when making music, having no direction, makes you get stale on yourself.
Skrillex is offline   Thanks
Old 30-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #31
Kong
Toronto

maybe each person can mesh a bunch of dubstep styles into each track? dunno how that would work and maybe it won't.. just throwing it out there just to keep the bass anthropology name haha

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
EatTheFood

Maybe try some 3/4 Dubstep.
WALTZ DUBSTEP!

------------------
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #33
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Sorry I bailed over the weekend everyone. Hope we didn't loose steam on this. I think it's a good idea to stick to a certain sound/vibe for the reasons listed above.

How does everyone feel about working with the idea of going back and experimenting with old school sounds? Try to take those into new places?

Otherwise I say we settle on a "sound" that is current and not terribly rinsed. Also, please feel free to post links to songs that explain the sounds you are talking about, whatever we are discussing.

------------------
Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #34
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Sorry I bailed over the weekend everyone. Hope we didn't loose steam on this. I think it's a good idea to stick to a certain sound/vibe for the reasons listed above.

How does everyone feel about working with the idea of going back and experimenting with old school sounds? Try to take those into new places?

Otherwise I say we settle on a "sound" that is current and not terribly rinsed. Also, please feel free to post links to songs that explain the sounds you are talking about, whatever we are discussing.
just dipping my balls in your thread but experimenting with old school sounds sounds very delish to me lads

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #35
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963548
Thanked 1,154 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

so these won't be acceptable hm....

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

@FMB: feel like trying your hand at some dubstep? Come on...come over to the dark side...and appreciate the thumbs up for my idea ;p Feel free to dip your balls in our thread any time.

@BF: I quite like both those tunes. Some very DnB-ish stuff going on. The second one is really dark and glitchy/stuttery could def go for some stuff like that ...I'm pretty much open to any suggestion. ...even though I'm the leader for the dubstep tape I'd like to be as democratic as I can at least about deciding on a vibe for the tape.

Typically I find "harder" more energetic tunes hard to write, so I'd love the challenge.

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #37
EatTheFood

I really like what Broken Note does, I know them since a while now. But I think it's all a bit going to sound the same if go on that kind of vibe. IMO...

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #38
EatTheFood

I was thinking of doing something in this style, the Old School stuff mixed to the more modern sounds :

------------------
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #39
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran

valid point etf, but, if we do that, is it retaining more old school then new? or Vice versa. might be a good idea to figure out what the general ideas to this would be.

such as,
new influences:
glitching influences?(what almost every dubstep song has nowadays)
electro influenced synths?(electro sounds, raw saw synths ect.)
aggression?(how energetic the song will be.)

old influences:
minimal?(or rather how busy can our song be.)
mainly wobble synths?
mostly subbass bass synths?
simplistic melodies?
chilled feeling?(how calm the song is.)

just some things to consider, now im sure im missing some obvious stuff, but thats the general idea.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #40
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
San Fran

this is pretty good example of where new dubstep is, it has most of the ideas i listed.

now the other side of this

see where im going with this?

Advertisements

Closed Thread