Dubstep
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Dubstep beat tape?
Sign me up! 11 64.71%
I'll pass.. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 27-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto
MC Status: 4175236
Dubstep

Genre Manager: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Genre Co-Manager: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Participants:
  • fimpson
  • Tree
  • I/O_Madness
  • EatTheFood
  • AloneInTheDark
  • LotusElectric
  • StereoSurgeon
  • lebeux

Release Titles:
  • Bass Anthropology

Release Rules/Ideas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
We had previously discussed using the title "Bass Anthropology" for one/the first dubstep beat tape. My idea for the first tape was to use that title and do a tape that explores the roots of dubstep...that early dark/experimental garage stuff that was trying to incorporate dark drum and bass sounds into 2-step B-side dubs.

As for rules/guidelines...
Song Length: 4:30 max
Tape Length: 12 songs
Artists: 10 Max (leaves room for a few collabs, I'd like to include some)
BPM: 138-142??
Style/Vibe: My proposed theme kinda sets a style guideline. Think El-B's dark garage stuff...early Skream and Benga tunes, Plastician, Zed Bias..."Truely Dread" by Loefah. Work with tribal rhythms, dub techno sounds etc.

A final thought on this idea: I'm not suggesting we merely try to recreate these sounds, just use them as influence for the beat tape. Kinda hoping to blend some throw back sounds w/ future sounds?
Quote:
The vibe/sound/style:

Songs need to have an emphasis on subbass/"deep" bass, atmosphere and space, but also incorporate glitchy synths/leads/FX.

Last edited by Kong; 18-09-2012 at 05:48 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 27-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541930
Thanked 7,020 Times in 4,987 Posts
Re: [Official Dubstep Beat Tape Thread]

Hey guys...glad to have ya'll one board.

We had previously discussed using the title "Bass Anthropology" for one/the first dubstep beat tape. My idea for the first tape was to use that title and do a tape that explores the roots of dubstep...that early dark/experimental garage stuff that was trying to incorporate dark drum and bass sounds into 2-step B-side dubs.

As for rules/guidelines...
Song Length: 4:30 max
Tape Length: 12 songs
Artists: 10 Max (leaves room for a few collabs, I'd like to include some)
BPM: 138-142??
Style/Vibe: My proposed theme kinda sets a style guideline. Think El-B's dark garage stuff...early Skream and Benga tunes, Plastician, Zed Bias..."Truely Dread" by Loefah. Work with tribal rhythms, dub techno sounds etc.

A final thought on this idea: I'm not suggesting we merely try to recreate these sounds, just use them as influence for the beat tape. Kinda hoping to blend some throw back sounds w/ future sounds?

I'm open to other ideas of course.

----------------------

I'm also looking for some help on running the Dubstep Beat tape. Take a look at the stickied leaders thread for an idea on what you'd be helping with.

Also, if you know producers who might be interested, get them in on the discussion.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 27-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

wait... do i need to toss my track now?!? D: sounds like mine wont fit the vibe well
Skrillex is offline   Thanks
Old 28-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto

well you can PM relic to see what he thinks. if he thinks it's solid, sit on it and do little tweaks until you see the official release submission thread. then you can share it according to the instructions that are given.

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 28-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
wait... do i need to toss my track now?!? D: sounds like mine wont fit the vibe well

I've PM'd you about this : )

I'm really just looking to talk about this first dubstep and plan out what we want to do with it. I want it to be more than just a bunch of tunes thrown together as a compilation.

So please do jump in and make suggestions about my idea or suggest something different entirely.

------------------
Old 28-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran

the theme could be pianos, who doesnt love pianos in dubstep?

or we could make them rastaish(should be a word) :2gunsfiring_v1:

or we can make dinosaur dubstep.

maybe we can just make some cake.

i would like that.

but the rasta deal, use steel drums, trumpets, shakers, stuff like that.
make alot of our stuff LFO automation based or glitch based

maybe use some vocal samples from movies that are in the free domain now?
Old 28-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
San Fran

or actually, make the songs in a call and motif manner
Old 28-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Def. could consider doing a Dub/Dub Reggae inspired Dubstep Tape. As for the use of LFO automation, I'm not sure how to base a whole tape around that. Dubstep def. uses that tons, so I imagine whatever we do that could be used as a technique. LFO modulation is wobble bass bread and butter.

Gltichy/Wonky dubstep is certainly an idea. Could you give us some examples of what you are thinking? Tunes to listen to?

Do you mean call and response when you say call and motif? Call and response is a pretty basic musical concept. Lots of music uses that all the time. Can you explain a bit more?

------------------
Old 28-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
San Fran

by glitchy its kind of more just like slicing the actually bass line to hell.
and call and response just have like the bass synth that partners another synth in a melody

example:
synth 1:aa b g dd a g
synth 2: gbgda cc b

not meant to actually make a real melody but say synth one is playing a melody, then synth 2 would cut in and respond to it and then synth one would pick back up, and ect.
it would also help if the synths were different but still had few same qualities between them.

good examples would just

(without the vocal samples obviously)

but you can hear where the synths going in and out, "answering each other"
Old 28-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Yea, I thought you meant call and response. Not sure how we base whole compilation around it though. It's a pretty typical musical concept used across the world...but if you can explain more how we build a tape around the idea, I'm all ears. : )

------------------
Old 28-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
San Fran

well then we can have 2 themes? have half and half? just let what the people want to do and they do that particular one? cause if we do a anthropology, then wouldnt it make sense to show current style music also? or experimental dubstep?

also we can do like a call and response, in a chronological way, and expand the idea to songs kinda like a progression in classical music,

for example,
that garage/dark old school style in the beginning<
"dark rave" feeling stuff<
skrillex kind of stuff<
percussion, reggae influenced dubstep<
ect.

now im sure i have the dubstep timeline fuck wrong, but it was a example, but that might be 10 flavors of awesome

also we could do the whole thing backwards, just throwing out ideas
Old 28-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
San Fran

how that relates to call and response is the music how it responded to that influence you know?
Old 28-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

OK. I see what you are saying now...more like a mixed bag with all the flavors in it. I'd def be down for that for sure. I PMd the other producers on the list. Hopefully they will drop by and share ideas.

------------------
Old 28-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
Kong
Toronto

although i have no input for the release cuz i'm not a dubstep connoisseur, i think a cool idea for your album art is a nod to this imagine right here..
eh, eh? anthropology?
perhaps replace the evolutionary steps with something else, but it's a vague idea you can work with.

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 28-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
San Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
although i have no input for the release cuz i'm not a dubstep connoisseur, i think a cool idea for your album art is a nod to this imagine right here..
eh, eh? anthropology?
perhaps replace the evolutionary steps with something else, but it's a vague idea you can work with.
haha i can see it now! we just get skrillex's head or his hair on one of these and a ipod shuffle
Old 29-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I like the evolution image idea. Should probably start with a dubplate and end with a shitty laptop, crappy plastic controller and cracked version of Massive ;p

------------------
Old 29-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #17
Kong
Toronto

blam there ya go! i was trying to think of ways to replace the ape to man thing.. like evolution between a phonograph and a big sexy stereo or i dunno.

brew the idea, i'm sure you can come up with something hella sexy!

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 29-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yea...we can come up with something...maybe an image of like DJ gear inside an archeological dig...or Technics 1200 > CDJ > Laptop (though the idea of the image depresses me because I'm an old man who loves and remembers the days of people only playing vinyl an dubplates)

...one of my best friends is actually a graphic designer and illustrator...so I got the art work on lock down whatever we come up with.

------------------
Old 29-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #19
Kong
Toronto

holy shit dj gear in an archeological dig would be sooooo fuckin' cool! especially if the image is (partly) dirty and old looking. although that would throw people off hearing dubstep and seeing something like that.. maybe... i dunno.

LOVE the idea!

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 29-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

When it comes around to the time we need to get this figured, I'll get my guy to chime in with some ideas. Need some hot bass-sexy CHOOOOOONS first.

Advertisements

------------------
Closed Thread