M-Audio Axiom 49 or Novation Impulse 49? (for use with Logic)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

View Poll Results: Axiom 49 or Impulse 49?
Axiom 49 5 50.00%
Impulse 49 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute
Rhode Island
MC Status: 9210
M-Audio Axiom 49 or Novation Impulse 49? (for use with Logic)

I have been producing for nearly 8 months, yet i still havent gotten around to getting a midi controller. right now i am looking at the m audio axiom 49 and the novation impulse 49. i like that they have the sliders and knobs to control parameters of the DAW in use, and i especially like that they have semi weighted keys, rather than those annoying springboards most controllers have. But my question is which one will work better with logic, last longer, more durable, and overall better than the other. answer soon? i am looking at getting one within a week or two.

Advertisements

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
probably the illuminati

_Mystik_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Goolue
Digital Surfer
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of
Isn't built out of Humus.
MC Status: 1060
Re: M-Audio Axiom 49 or Novation Impulse 49? (for use with Logic)

Hey there... I have the M audio Axiom 25 (the small one, also, not the white pro one). I really like it! It feels great and, so far nothing bad happend to it (I own it for about a year now I think...).
The 8 touch pads are pressure sensitive and work well for what I need.
Keep in mind though that I own no other MIDI keyboard and I don't use Logic.
I hope I helped here...
Goolue
Goolue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Goolue
_Mystik_ (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute_Mystik_ has a reputation beyond repute
Rhode Island

you did help, thank you i am aiming at the axiom, as i have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the impulse, especially regarding syncing up with logic. the axioms i hear work well with nearly any software, and its good hearing that yours has lasted a year. the axioms are cheaper aswell, so unless someone tells me the impulse is the worlds greatest midi controller, ill probably get an axiom. thanks for telling me about your experience with the axiom!

------------------
SyMTiK
probably the illuminati

Old 06-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
sticker14
sticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MC
Cleveland
MC Status: 1197574

Whichever's cheaper. I've never had any problems with M-audio's products. It's had to mess up such a simple device.

------------------
Mint Clad - Goddess in the Backseat (PM me if you want a tape)
sticker14 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

well, my m audio torq xponent had very bad build quality, and the crossfader broke and now it wobbles around and doesnt work any more, so im a little hesitant of buying an m audio product, however i have heard really good things about their midi keyboards, and the m audio is cheaper by 50 bucks

------------------
SyMTiK
probably the illuminati

Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
sticker14
sticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MC
Cleveland
MC Status: 1197574

Or yeah, ya know, whatever idk lol

------------------
Mint Clad - Goddess in the Backseat (PM me if you want a tape)
sticker14 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
TFfL
Analog Lurker
TFfL will become famous soon enoughTFfL will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I have the Axiom 49 with Logic and it works very well. The faders aren't ultimately precise if you try to do some really fine adjustments and I don't really use those much, but you can basically customise any function in Logic to any fader/knob there is in Axiom really easily. I mostly use it just as a keyboard to play midi stuff in, the semi weighted keys are really nice in my opinion.

------------------
Stenberg: Soak, Crack and Circulate (Details Are Vulgar) [electronica / techno]

www.radrec.net
TFfL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
paracetamol
Soundscaper
paracetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MC
MC Status: 288402

vaguely related: I only own a Novation SL-61 Mk2. I never really use it that much. What irks me a lot: I really hate how cheap the thing is built. I don't know about the Impulse, but my suggestion is that you verify that you like the feel of any controller in a shop before buying, especially if you plan to use it frequently.
paracetamol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

il probably try out both in a shop, however im starting to lean towards the axiom because i looked around more and heard that the impulse maps terribly with most softwares, and has a lot of glitches. i dont know much about the akais, havent really heard much about them, plus theyre 100 more than the axioms. many people reccomend axioms too

------------------
SyMTiK
probably the illuminati

Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
RoloMcFlurry
Regular Freak
RoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura aboutRoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura aboutRoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura about
New York
MC Status: 210

I've actually tried out both the impulse 25 as well as the axiom 25 somewhat extensively. I bought the impulse, kept it for a week, and then decided to return it and buy the axiom when it went on sale at GC.

Honestly they aren't that much different from one another, so as another commenter said, if one of them is significantly cheaper than the other, I might just go with that one.

I do like the axiom slightly more. the pads feel better to me, and although novation automap is a fine and easy to use piece of software, mapping with the axiom straight to my DAW, without the use of a 3rd party software running, makes me more comfortable.
RoloMcFlurry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

thanks for the input! im definitely getting the axiom, now just the question for me is get the 49, or spend the extra 100 for the 61. hmm, choices. lol

------------------
SyMTiK
probably the illuminati

Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
RoloMcFlurry
Regular Freak
RoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura aboutRoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura aboutRoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura about
New York
MC Status: 210

ha, that is a slippery slope. If you get the 49 you'll always be wanting the the 61, and if you get the 61, you'll always be wanting the 88.

i've had an 88 key midi controller already before buying the axiom 25, i was really just buying it for the knobs and pads, but dang sometimes i still wish i had 2 88 key controllers sitting in front of me.
RoloMcFlurry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

yeah lol, i could also buy the 88 key keystation and a 25 key axiom, ooh tempting lol

------------------
SyMTiK
probably the illuminati

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
Joe Oso Dopke
Granular Poster
Joe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MC
Detroit
MC Status: 11045

Dude novation all the way. Shoot. Automap? There is NO contest between that and the axiom.

------------------
"A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one." - Dmitri Shostakovich
Joe Oso Dopke is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Clap Beep Boom - The Dorian Concept
Old 06-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #15
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

i've heard that automap has had a lot of problems syncing up with logic, plus my local guitar center has an up to $200 off sale on all m audio midi keyboards, with 200 off being on the 88 key oxygen. thats the price of the 61 key axiom!! im picking it up this weekend

------------------
SyMTiK
probably the illuminati

Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #16
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

just to let all of you know even tho this thread is old, i got a 61 key keystation, because i didnt need the pads and sliders, plus the mod wheel can be mapped to anything by right clicking any paramaters of the synth your using, and clicking midi learn definitely a great investment, plus it will save you a lot of money compared to the axioms and impulses.

------------------
SyMTiK
probably the illuminati

Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
fearless
Learning The Ropes
fearless is on a distinguished road
Tallinn
MC Status: 10

I recommend m-Audio.
fearless is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless View Post
I recommend m-Audio.
already picked up an m audio keystation 61, its a fantastic controller. and since im using it with mac (which has built in midi drivers) i just plug it in and its already mapped perfectly. and i can map the mod wheel to any control on the screen just by right clicking on a paramater and hitting midi learn. i love the semi weighted keys aswell.

Advertisements

------------------
SyMTiK
probably the illuminati