Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #41
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112
Re: Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiancoriol View Post
With clever use of sheet metal, you could get a stiff frame, which at the same time is more open. Using 1x4 pine boards means you are pretty much sealing the sides of the batts - which is a good deal of absorptive surface you are covering up. Sheet metal frames can be ventilated to a great degree, letting the sides of the batts absorb sound.

Ideally, you would wrap the batts in fabric that is stiff as metal and 100% transparent to air/sound

You can always drill some big holes in the side of the wood.

If you are confident in the quality of the wood, 3" holes all the way down. That's what I did on my first set of basstraps.

Advertisements

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: my son coughing in his sleep
Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #42
musicbender
Learning The Ropes
musicbender is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Wow great info here! Thanks.
musicbender is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #43
christiancoriol
Granular Poster
christiancoriol has a spectacular aura aboutchristiancoriol has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
You can always drill some big holes in the side of the wood.
True, that would be a nice solution!
christiancoriol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #44
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver

So, anyone actually build a hemholtz resonator? I have yet to try and build one...

------------------
Old 05-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #45
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

My project keeps getting interrupted by nice weather, cold beer, playoff basketball, and barbeque enthusiasts. Regardless, I've managed to finish an entire one 4" x 24" x 48" trap. I'm starting to think my corner trap design is way too elaborate, and I'm thinking of making those into straight traps. I'll probably try one of the corners first though. I should be able to get another trap done tonight (before the Celtics game) and hopefully I'll have time to take a crack at the probably doomed corner traps.

I can't wait to make some music again!

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #46
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

I'll be doing the acoustics of my vocal booth/tracking incl soundproofing this week...I shall post pictures subsequently

------------------
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #47
christiancoriol
Granular Poster
christiancoriol has a spectacular aura aboutchristiancoriol has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
So, anyone actually build a hemholtz resonator? I have yet to try and build one...
Well, I'm going for broadband absorbers first (along with some bass hangers) and then maybe resonators if I feel I need to tune out something specific ...
Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #48
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

let us know how it goes!

------------------
Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #49
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicry View Post
Nice, the tabletraps are indeed a great idea.

And of course we want more detailed info on the wall to ceiling corners, especially on how you mounted them.
Basically what we did for the wall to ceiling corners was build traps the same size and style as the wall to wall frames. This time I stapled twin grids on them to keep them from sagging.

For mounting we attached simple screw in hooks to one side (3 hooks, corners and middle)
Then we used cabinet hinges to attach the bottom of the frames to the wall. Hinges worked the best because they allowed for easy angle adjustment. The original idea was to use L brackets and bend them, but hinges worked way better.
After attaching the bottom edge of the frame to the wall, we just tied nylon twine to the hooks and the drop tile ceiling.
I suppose you could do the same thing with a drywall ceiling if you used hooks in place of the drop tile grid.

After they were mounted we just tossed in the insulation (harder than is sounds).

------------------
Old 13-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #50
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC

Just checking in.

I rearranged my studio area to put my speakers in a better position. I have two 4" x 24" x 48" straight traps in the corner of the room. I'm ditching my stupid corner trap idea and using the materials to build 4 more straight traps. I need to find more insulation. I don't want to get it the same way I did before because the shipping charge was about the same as the cost of the materials. I used rock wool, but I'd like to try rigid fiberglass just to compare. My plan is to get six of the traps in place and maybe get a run in there (hardwood floor) to get the room under control, and then I'm going to start testing a bit to consider tuning the room further.

I have to say, even with my measly two traps, having the traps and placing the speakers in a better position has made a HUGE difference. I feel like it's easier to make sound design and mix decisions that translate to other systems. I only have one work in process since I started transforming the room, and I feel like I notice the difference in the mix itself, no matter where I play it. I've fully bought in to the importance of room treatment and I think it's something everyone should take a look at. I can't even imagine how many hours I've wasted trying to tweak mixes to compensate for my previous crappy, completely untreated studio configuration.

Anyway, yeah, I need more insulation.

------------------
Old 13-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #51
christiancoriol
Granular Poster

Quote:
I have to say, even with my measly two traps, having the traps and placing the speakers in a better position has made a HUGE difference.
Alright everyone - you heard the man! No more lame excuses...
Old 14-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #52
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
I have to say, even with my measly two traps, having the traps and placing the speakers in a better position has made a HUGE difference.

Yeah, speaker placement is VITAL! inches make a huge difference.

------------------
Old 15-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
christiancoriol
Granular Poster

Quote:
Yeah, speaker placement is VITAL! inches make a huge difference.
With you there. It makes perfect sense, when you know what peaks and nulls can do to your listening experience in a room. I've been wanting to flush-mount my speakers in front corner traps (still can't give you a link, but check out sae.edu/reference_material/audio/pages/Speakers) to improve sound furhter, but to simplify things, I'll start with freestanding monitors.
Old 15-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #54
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiancoriol View Post
With you there. It makes perfect sense, when you know what peaks and nulls can do to your listening experience in a room. I've been wanting to flush-mount my speakers in front corner traps (still can't give you a link, but check out sae.edu/reference_material/audio/pages/Speakers) to improve sound furhter, but to simplify things, I'll start with freestanding monitors.
I haven't heard of bass trap / flushmount monitors for DIY/home studios. (I've been on a crash course for this stuff, I haven't heard of lots of stuff). Care to explain the benefits here?

When I first built the two bass traps that I have, I experimented with placement a bit. I saw a picture of some guy's home theater setup and he had a couple of what looked to be bass traps behind his speakers, so I tried that. It seemed to suck up too much bass from everything, so I have the traps in the corner where they (presumably) belong. I'm starting to wonder if the guy in the picture had more of a mid/high absorber there for reflection and phasing purposes.

I'm looking up some info online, but does anyone have anything to add about this? My current strategy is to start with four bass traps in the corners of my rectangular room, and add two to the sides of the room right where the node should be, hopefully add a rug, and then I'm going to start pink noise testing to see if further tuning is needed. Maybe something on the wall behind the monitors would make a huge difference too.

------------------
Old 17-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #55
christiancoriol
Granular Poster

It has something to do with the way frequencies become increasingly omnidirectional as the frequency decreases, while most speaker drivers become more directional with a rise in frequency.

If your speaker is placed in an open space (away from walls), the energy used to generate bass, is dispersed in all directions at once, while higher freq-energy is thrown more directly at you. As a result, a loss of bass is experienced - which is usually countered with so-called "baffle step compensation" (look it up) in the cross-over.

Put the speaker in an infinite baffle (a wall), maybe take out the baffle step compensation, and bass performance should improve. I haven't tried this, but over at John Sayer's forum, people are doing it - even with un-modded speakers.
Old 18-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #56
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

I'll check that out. Thanks!

------------------
Old 19-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #57
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

I wonder if you can flush mount rear ported monitors...

------------------
Old 19-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #58
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfrank View Post
I wonder if you can flush mount rear ported monitors...
You can flush mount anything, but that doesn't seem like a great idea (using my extremely limited knowledge of room treatment and rear ported speakers - feel free to correct me, internet).

I checked out the baffle step compensation, and I don't think it's for me. My speakers are close enough to the wall that I don't really have bass loss issues. I really don't like the idea of having a perma-EQ on my system for doing mixes. I'd rather do my best with room treatment and speaker positioning. That's not to say that the baffle step compensation doesn't have it's place, but it's up to everyone to decide for themselves where they draw the line and just start making tracks.

I need to stop dragging my feet and order the rest of the insulation. I also should get a rug. Hardwood floors are reflection city. Hopefully I'll put something together to share with you guys, but it won't be too spectacular. Phase 1 of my room treatment consists of six straight 2" x 4" traps and a rug. My one abitious attempt at a corner trap didn't go too well. It will sit in the corner of my basement for all of eternity (or until I move someday).

------------------
Old 23-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #59
christiancoriol
Granular Poster

I believe baffle step compensation is actually already built into the crossovers of most speakers - unless they're made specifically to be flush mounted or placed in a corner. I could be wrong though.

@taylorfrank:
Several people seem to have had good luck flush mounting rear ported speakers (read the threads at John Sayers forum) including Mackie's and what have you. I think what they do, is let the rear port fire into a relatively large enclosure lined with insulation - with a bit of ventilation to the outside somewhere. This is supposed to attenuate most of what comes out of the port, without causing pressure build-up around it, which would alter the response entirely.

AFAIK
Old 27-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #60
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

hmmm...soffit mounting seems like a HUGE project/gamble. My yamahas might not sound better and my studio is already built. Next time I move into another studio I will soffit mount my mains.

Advertisements

------------------