Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 28-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #21
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112
Re: Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How

I would say cram some beefy traps in those corners and get thick traps for the first reflections, I would also treat the wall behind the monitors. A simple 2x4 trap would suffice at ear level.

Actually, I would say to start off with five 2' x 4' traps.

Front corners (2)
Front wall (1)
First reflections (2)

Advertisements

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
christiancoriol
Granular Poster
christiancoriol has a spectacular aura aboutchristiancoriol has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

What does the room look like behind you? Any room for corner traps there? Remember that corner traps can cover ceiling/wall corners too, so even using traps only about a foot wide where the walls meet the ceiling around the room, will make a difference.

Is that a closet to the left? A closet full of clothes would absorb sound as well.

Maybe construct a ceiling cloud, to utilize all that ceiling space (since you don't have much floor/wall space to eat up).
christiancoriol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiancoriol View Post
What does the room look like behind you? Any room for corner traps there? Remember that corner traps can cover ceiling/wall corners too, so even using traps only about a foot wide where the walls meet the ceiling around the room, will make a difference.

Is that a closet to the left? A closet full of clothes would absorb sound as well.

Maybe construct a ceiling cloud, to utilize all that ceiling space (since you don't have much floor/wall space to eat up).
+1

------------------
Old 29-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
ROCI
Radial Developer
ROCI is a jewel in the roughROCI is a jewel in the roughROCI is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 284

Big Chocolate doesnt have any treatment AT ALL! and his tracks come out pro. PRO PRO. check it out

Last edited by ROCI; 29-05-2012 at 10:28 PM..
ROCI is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #25
ROCI
Radial Developer
ROCI is a jewel in the roughROCI is a jewel in the roughROCI is a jewel in the rough

he has more videos of his studio where hes doing music. interesting shit.
Old 29-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #26
ROCI
Radial Developer

heres better view of his studio
Old 29-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #27
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848

Quote:

You can see here that the space opens up into a larger living room area with furniture. I think sound going back here is going to be eaten up well.

I rent the apartment, and on the ceiling is like a spackled stucko. I don't know if I want to be penetrating this to hang stuff overhead. I will try to think of some unobtrusive designs.

Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #28
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg

Bipolar LOL.

Acoustic treatment is really important. Especially if you have a room like mine with ridiculous acoustics. But learning, and getting acclimated to, how your specific equipment and studio sound is just as important. I am quite sure that excellence in one can make up for lacking in another, but excellence in both is key!

Now can we get all our brains focused on one thing.....getting my space sounding good! LOL
Old 30-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #29
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0C552 View Post
You can see here that the space opens up into a larger living room area with furniture. I think sound going back here is going to be eaten up well.

I rent the apartment, and on the ceiling is like a spackled stucko. I don't know if I want to be penetrating this to hang stuff overhead. I will try to think of some unobtrusive designs.
Considering that's your living space, you want to get as many traps in there as aesthetically possible. With all those walls you may have some tricky room modes.

My idea would be to build (at least) four square pillar style bass-traps about 1' x 1' at least 5 inches shorter than the ceiling, and then a cloud the size of the nook you are mixing in. Use the pillars to hold your cloud up.

Keeps the ceiling untouched.

------------------
Old 30-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #30
christiancoriol
Granular Poster
christiancoriol has a spectacular aura aboutchristiancoriol has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Use the pillars to hold your cloud up.
A good idea, since it looks like you have enough height there. I wouldn't mess with the stucco (or the landlords patience) either.

And uhm..don't forget to sit down and watch Frasier now and then - clears the head!
Old 30-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #31
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

I'm just getting into this now. I just ordered a bunch of mineral wool in sheet and fill form so hopefully I'll have some bass traps within the next few days! Jacked!

For anyone wondering how shitty your room actually is, dial up a 60Hz sine wav at a moderate volume and walk around your room. Try it at different frequencies too.

And for all of the non-US people reading the board - Texas and the bible belt are different from the rest of this country. Please keep that in mind when reading certain posters. It's a big country we have here. Lots of variety. Thanks.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #32
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
I'm just getting into this now. I just ordered a bunch of mineral wool in sheet and fill form so hopefully I'll have some bass traps within the next few days! Jacked!

For anyone wondering how shitty your room actually is, dial up a 60Hz sine wav at a moderate volume and walk around your room. Try it at different frequencies too.

And for all of the non-US people reading the board - Texas and the bible belt are different from the rest of this country. Please keep that in mind when reading certain posters. It's a big country we have here. Lots of variety. Thanks.
Post pics

Let us know how it goes.

------------------
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #33
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfrank View Post
Post pics

Let us know how it goes.
I'll post something if I'm not too embarrassed by the result. I know a lot about metal fabrication but I'm a rookie when it comes to wood. Also with the fabric part, I have a mental handicap that makes me horrible at wrapping gifts so I'm hoping that doesn't translate to stretching fabrics over traps. I have a studio area in my house, and a jam/PA area in the basement so I wouldn't be surprised if these traps wind up in the basement someday because I've built new ones to correct whatever mistakes I'm about to make.

Hopefully that paragraph lowered the fuck out of everyone's expectations. That being said, I can't wait to build these! I already have a bunch of mineral wool and I'm hoping to have something done by the end of the weekend.

------------------
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #34
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Build the frames from metal! If I knew how to work with sheet metal I would use nothing but!

------------------
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #35
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfrank View Post
Build the frames from metal! If I knew how to work with sheet metal I would use nothing but!
I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay over qualified to get this done with sheet metal but we're busy as hell at work so running bass traps through now is not an option. I'm an engineer but I'm probably not hand on enough to build them from metal myself. I'm kind of looking forward to the learning experience, anyway. Maybe after I screw these up and go back for a second attempt, I'll do metal. Hopefully these won't suck too badly.

------------------
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #36
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

If they get the job done, they get the job done...

------------------
Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #37
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Winnipeg

I don't see any advantage to metal...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #38
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

Seems like the fabric and dimensions of the traps are where you can trick them out a bit. I'm stopping by this fabric boutique known locally as "Walmart" tomorrow for some low quality fabric. I'm guessing their crappy passes a lot of air and is cheap as hell which are two big plusses. Hopefully they'll have some non-NASCAR selections, although a Dale Earnhart Jr corner trap would be fun to decorate.

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #39
christiancoriol
Granular Poster

With clever use of sheet metal, you could get a stiff frame, which at the same time is more open. Using 1x4 pine boards means you are pretty much sealing the sides of the batts - which is a good deal of absorptive surface you are covering up. Sheet metal frames can be ventilated to a great degree, letting the sides of the batts absorb sound.

Ideally, you would wrap the batts in fabric that is stiff as metal and 100% transparent to air/sound
Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #40
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiancoriol View Post
With clever use of sheet metal, you could get a stiff frame, which at the same time is more open. Using 1x4 pine boards means you are pretty much sealing the sides of the batts - which is a good deal of absorptive surface you are covering up. Sheet metal frames can be ventilated to a great degree, letting the sides of the batts absorb sound.

Ideally, you would wrap the batts in fabric that is stiff as metal and 100% transparent to air/sound
Im trying 1" x 2" pine for mine but you're right about metal being stronger in much less space. If I were doing it out of metal, I'd use 1" x 1" x 1/8" wall aluminum angle to build it.

Advertisements

------------------