The studio monitors thread - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #21
FakeBass
Soundscaper
FakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3337
Re: The studio Monitors Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
Once you install a ceiling cloud you will be surprised at the difference, when I first installed one years ago I was astonished by the difference and accuracy of stereo imaging. You tend to think side walls are your biggest problem (and they are) but once the ceiling is done, boy.

This article actually suggests monitors on longest wall to reduce likely hood of side wall reflections
at monitoring position. Most will encounter some practical limitation though on that front. Bass is largely emanating omni-directionally from loudspeakers (then hitting boundaries and reflecting) so I am not convinced of need for them to specifically be firing long ways down the room as OP stated. Ultimately you need to listen, measure and adjust to find out what produces the most even sound.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I set my studio up so there is nothing between my ear and the drivers, awesome. No turning back.
No comb filtering, no cancelling reflections just whats in the file.
Can you explain what a ceiling could is so I can add it to the suggestions?

Advertisements

------------------
Our latest work, remix for KATY B 5AM Remix Contest

FakeBass is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Benwaa

i'm surprised everyone's raving on about proper placement and so on yet no-one has even bothered to mention calibration. if anything this is one of the most important things there is to setting up and placing your monitors correctly and using them at the right levels regardless of their price range or quality

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #23
FakeBass
Soundscaper
FakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
i'm surprised everyone's raving on about proper placement and so on yet no-one has even bothered to mention calibration. if anything this is one of the most important things there is to setting up and placing your monitors correctly and using them at the right levels regardless of their price range or quality

Awesome I did not even know about this. I am adding it to the list Immedatly

------------------

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #24
kingsentry
Regular Freak
kingsentry will become famous soon enoughkingsentry will become famous soon enough
New Helvetia, California
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
I'd buy some at least *better* monitors than the bx5a's, that was my first speaker set, I've moved on to the much maligned rokit 5's and checking bass on my dt770 headphones, but even that beats the crap out the bx5a's, those things are way too treble-rich, it just kind of ruins anything that goes through them.
Thanks for confirming, I do think the quality lacks a bit, they are my first set as well. I am developing a bit of a prejudice against maudio products.
So the Rokits seem like a nice step up. They are popular, and more in my $range. Until that purchase do you think I can back the monitors up with a subwoofer? Or would it make it worse?
And thanks for all the sound treatment ideas. Gonna get on that. Cheers
kingsentry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
phido
Granular Poster
phido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MC
MC Status: 2543972

What about reasonably flat Hifi-speakers, worth mentioning or waay too amateurish? Just thinking of those on a strongly constrained budget...
phido is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #26
FakeBass
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phido View Post
What about reasonably flat Hifi-speakers, worth mentioning or waay too amateurish? Just thinking of those on a strongly constrained budget...
If you know of any that are worth mentioning feel free to do a review and grab the stats on them

Also if any mod notices any wrong info feel free to edit the master post

------------------

Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
phido
Granular Poster
phido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MC
MC Status: 2543972

While I can't really compare to proper monitors, I like my Canton Founum 300s from 1992ish. I'll try to translate and scan/copy a small review and freq response, would be interesting to hear some people's opinion on that curve. Could take a while, though, busy doing lifestuff atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promdj View Post
good
Anything in particular? just wondering
phido is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

Now I feel stupid to buy monitors knowing I'm not going to be able to create a "mixing room" in my apartment.
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
FakeBass
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Now I feel stupid to buy monitors knowing I'm not going to be able to create a "mixing room" in my apartment.
You can still get a decent mix if you pick the monitors that are right for your room. How big is it?

You just need to learn to compensate for them.

------------------

Old 10-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #30
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

this is basically the room i'll be planting my "work space" in.
The pink bit is the kitchen (it's part of the living room), the cross thing is a window

^ and this is the door right here

and the floor is, of course, wood

Last edited by Lug; 10-05-2012 at 01:24 AM..
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #31
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsentry View Post
So the Rokits seem like a nice step up. They are popular, and more in my $range. Until that purchase do you think I can back the monitors up with a subwoofer? Or would it make it worse?
Listen you can get a pair of Rokit 5 G2s for cheap. I got mine for $225.00 off eBay and that included shipping. They're good as new, came in the original boxes and they are still under warranty.

Edit: What I'm saying is skip the sub for the Bx5s and just look for a good price on the KRKs.

Last edited by RFJ; 10-05-2012 at 06:39 PM..

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
nooneimportant
Knob Twiddler
nooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MC
MC Status: 38077

I went monitor shopping a few days ago. I listened to the KRK's just because I hear about them all the time, and honestly they weren't too bad. I was expecting cardboard boxes. I listened to some Adams too, and I felt like they were lacking in the high mids. Eventually I got what I came for which is a pair of Genelecs, which also means I'm never buying anything for more than 5 dollars again. That said, the Genelecs are unbelievable.

------------------
make your drums louder
@ripleysterling
here's some tracks
nooneimportant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
I went monitor shopping a few days ago. I listened to the KRK's just because I hear about them all the time, and honestly they weren't too bad. I was expecting cardboard boxes.
Yeah they actually sound really nice to me. Yes a bit lacking in the bass dept but they get the job done in my small space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
Eventually I got what I came for which is a pair of Genelecs, which also means I'm never buying anything for more than 5 dollars again. That said, the Genelecs are unbelievable.
But I am sure those Genelecs make my KRKs sound like those crappy little headphones that are packaged with the iPod.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
nooneimportant
Knob Twiddler
nooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MCnooneimportant is a savage MC

I could quickly see why the KRK's are so popular. They didn't sound BAD. I think I was only listening to the 5 inch model too.

Last edited by nooneimportant; 11-05-2012 at 04:40 AM..

------------------
make your drums louder
@ripleysterling
here's some tracks
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

afaik they are boosted on the bassregions, no?
to get that thump all them techno and club producers wants.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #36
nooneimportant
Knob Twiddler

The KRK's? they sounded just a little distorted in the lows to me when I put my ear right up to it, and I was playing some electro house through them, so you could be right.

------------------
make your drums louder
@ripleysterling
here's some tracks
Old 15-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
Theo Void
Granular Poster
Theo Void has a spectacular aura aboutTheo Void has a spectacular aura aboutTheo Void has a spectacular aura about
Pittsburgh, PA
MC Status: 210

I'm still rocking' my M-Audio Bx5a's. I bought them about three years ago and I like them. I haven't seen (or heard) any reason to get new ones. Of course there are much better monitors out there but monitors are one of those not so fun and exciting purchases. I'm interested in knowing what everyone thinks the "best" ones are.

One thing about the bx5a's I find that all my mixes sound way too bassy on other systems. The sub is always way over-bearing. I generally low cut everything anyway but now I just cut a little more than it sounds like I should.

------------------
Theo Void is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #38
SafeandSound
Sample Destroyer
SafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MC
London UK
MC Status: 2213066

Calibration relates to SPL and it can be simplified. Vu's are an anachronism relatively to the users on this board. My opinion that hitting around 80dB is spot on for the ears natural frequency balance according to the Fletcher Munson curves. (not that this needs to be met for the full duration of the mix session) Most rooms will be triggering a lot of room modes at 85dB SPL so treatment and positioning is the first job to get right. No point hitting the right calibration if your room isn't ready.

A ceiling cloud is an absorptive/diffusive construct (usually about 1.3m x 1.3m) suspended overhead between your monitoring position and your speakers.

cheers

------------------
Barry Gardner - SafeandSound Mastering
SafeandSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

so what sort of wizardry needs to be done to DIY a ceiling cloud?

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #40
nooneimportant
Knob Twiddler

There are a number of build plans online, i'm pretty sure i've seen plans on gearslutz.

Advertisements

------------------
make your drums louder
@ripleysterling
here's some tracks