How many of you have gone to school for music, or still are?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
Effulgence
Effulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MC
Boulder, CO, USA
MC Status: 2593405
Icon5 How many of you have gone to school for music, or still are?

I was just wondering, how many of you guys have gone to school for music? And by school I mean college classes or lessons from professional teachers. If you are/have then state what you are specifically studying, and how it is going for you.

I am going into college very soon and I'm going in as a software engineer major, but with the music taking over I don't think I want to devote myself to that. I'm also thinking about going into graphic design & digital art so that I can combine visual/audio performance into one single artistic piece. I don't want music to be a 'side project' thing anymore. I just want to take it to the highest level I can and devote myself fully to music and art.

So I'm just wondering how many musicians here have taken classes, and mention anything else you see fit.

Advertisements

------------------
Effulgence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
bbb
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5739893
Re: How many of you have gone to school for music, or still are?

Nope. And it shines through in my music =D
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Effulgence
Effulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MC
Boulder, CO, USA

Post some of your stuff, I'd like to hear!

But I've never been to school for music either. I took some guitar 'lessons' but the teacher literally only taught me how to play songs and not actual theory at all.. I've read books and researched a lot but I think that music theory knowledge could help a lot in the creation of melodies and harmonies.

------------------
Old 04-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
bbb
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5739893

One thing I'm finding potential in, which I've rarely if ever used previously...Piano chords. I like to find keys that work together, individually. However you can only take that method so far. But, you can walk all over the keyboard.

So now I'm going to start working on trying to incorporate chords in to my play, see where it leads. Which I'd rather be messing around than reading theory and what not. I'll leave that for a later date. However, this is probably another lazy decision by me.

But, my comment was more of a joke, to be honest. I think I still have so much crap to learn and techniques to pick up.
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
BassTrap
Granular Poster
BassTrap has a spectacular aura aboutBassTrap has a spectacular aura about
Waterloo, Canada
MC Status: 168

I am done my first year of music university, and I can see your dilema. I posted a similar thread a while back ("going to university for music?" - I think it's called) and I had the same question. If you go there you'll see that in the end I decided to stay here. not only I have access to extraordinary people, it motivates me daily to work harder and harder in music. And obviously I strictly learn about it, derp.

------------------
Right, right?
BassTrap is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Effulgence
Boulder, CO, USA

BassTrap, I know what you mean. It is great to just be a part of a tight community full of likeminded people. But I think it would be beneficial to get some theory classes. Knowing what sounds good/bad together and what have you is always a nice skill to have.

------------------
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
stem collector
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74596760
Thanked 1,077 Times in 749 Posts

I am currently an audio student. Im taking both an electronic music class and an audio recording class (sound design for film this quarter!) so hopefully ill have both the creative and engineering side to audio down by the end of next year. I personally love it. ive learned so much and have access to seriously amazing equipment/software that i would otherwise never be able to afford. <--i think that alone is a good enough reason to go to school for audio: access, access, access!

you also immerse yourself in a community of likeminded folks who you can share music with/collaborate with very easily!

------------------
stem collector is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214323848
Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,042 Posts

Three years of music studies and one year audio engineering.

------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVE6VSgn8o
^ I made a tutorial in which I explained how I went about doing it:
http://idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=109498
Evelon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1094997

I took piano lessons for 7 years starting at age 7, I took guitar lessons for 4 years starting at age 13. I naturally have an ear for music, I can hear anything and pretty much play it back with little to no effort. However, my knowledge of theory is complete rubbish - I really just go by what sounds good and by memory when I play stuff, I also cannot read music notation. I went to university for marketing, and I also work in that field.

What am I doing that is music related now? Well, I've basically been working full time and working on music stuff in the evenings. This is crap and I'm sick of my job too. So, I got lucky and am being laid off in a couple months. I am currently enrolled in Intro to Game Audio at Berklee - it's a 3 month online course. It's pretty good so far. I did a lot of research to make sure I wasn't throwing away my money for stuff I can learn on my own, which, to an extent, you can. But school definitely gives you that boost - this is my first music production course ever. I think the next one on my list is sound design as I see it a huge benefit for whatever kind of music you want to make. Oh, I'm also not an idiot when it comes to money, I don't smoke and I seldom drink. So I saved enough money up so I don't have to work for a while and can focus on music. When money starts getting tight again, I'll get another job - hopefully by that point the music will turn into something bigger, and if not, well, either keep trying or move on with life. Also, don't have kids, or at least wait a while until you do have them - they cost a lot of money too

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest project: Daft Punk - Doin' It Right remake!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Syllix
HyperTrough (05-09-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762541

Classical guitar lessons for 6 years. 1 year at the university (classical composition).
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
music producer
Granular Poster
music producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond repute
Central Indiana, USA
MC Status: 2925

4 years college with degree in composition and theory. But 99% of what I use as a keyboardist and producer I knew before college, or figured out through practical experience.

Last edited by music producer; 04-15-2012 at 01:42 AM..

------------------
music producer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
Divercity
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
Kiwi living in L.A
MC Status: 109299377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllix View Post
I took piano lessons for 7 years starting at age 7, I took guitar lessons for 4 years starting at age 13. I naturally have an ear for music, I can hear anything and pretty much play it back with little to no effort. However, my knowledge of theory is complete rubbish - I really just go by what sounds good and by memory when I play stuff, I also cannot read music notation. I went to university for marketing, and I also work in that field.

What am I doing that is music related now? Well, I've basically been working full time and working on music stuff in the evenings. This is crap and I'm sick of my job too. So, I got lucky and am being laid off in a couple months. I am currently enrolled in Intro to Game Audio at Berklee - it's a 3 month online course. It's pretty good so far. I did a lot of research to make sure I wasn't throwing away my money for stuff I can learn on my own, which, to an extent, you can. But school definitely gives you that boost - this is my first music production course ever. I think the next one on my list is sound design as I see it a huge benefit for whatever kind of music you want to make. Oh, I'm also not an idiot when it comes to money, I don't smoke and I seldom drink. So I saved enough money up so I don't have to work for a while and can focus on music. When money starts getting tight again, I'll get another job - hopefully by that point the music will turn into something bigger, and if not, well, either keep trying or move on with life. Also, don't have kids, or at least wait a while until you do have them - they cost a lot of money too

Great plan man. I'm studying sound design at berklee atm. It really has given me a boost and has greatly influenced my productions even though I know a big chunk of what they cover. Even when that is the case I always find myself missing critical but small points.

How much did you have to save up in order to pay for this break? Berklee sure is expensive

Like you I have stopped buying/taking drugs and spending my paychecks on boose every weekend. I'm working full time in a I.T job that is treating me well. It gives me a chance to study and buy what I need gear wise. Eventually my plan is to go part time while studying full time and see how everything pans out.

Good luck to you man and hope it works out

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1094997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
Great plan man. I'm studying sound design at berklee atm. It really has given me a boost and has greatly influenced my productions even though I know a big chunk of what they cover. Even when that is the case I always find myself missing critical but small points.

How much did you have to save up in order to pay for this break? Berklee sure is expensive

Like you I have stopped buying/taking drugs and spending my paychecks on boose every weekend. I'm working full time in a I.T job that is treating me well. It gives me a chance to study and buy what I need gear wise. Eventually my plan is to go part time while studying full time and see how everything pans out.

Good luck to you man and hope it works out
Thanks mate! Well I took marketing in university, and since then have gone travelling for a month and then worked full time every since, so I have enough coin saved up to last me a little bit. Also, I've never done drugs in my life

I'd like to keep in touch with you though because I really am interested in that sound design course... will be sending through a PM in the near future.

Cheers

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest project: Daft Punk - Doin' It Right remake!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #14
Divercity
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
Kiwi living in L.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllix View Post
Thanks mate! Well I took marketing in university, and since then have gone travelling for a month and then worked full time every since, so I have enough coin saved up to last me a little bit. Also, I've never done drugs in my life

I'd like to keep in touch with you though because I really am interested in that sound design course... will be sending through a PM in the near future.

Cheers

Ah nice dude. Well done! Fair enough. My mentality has been try everything once for awhile. With the obvious exception of class A drugs that are highly addictive and just stupid.

Yea forsure man. I'll gladly help you out in any way possible I just started the series of courses and its more the introductory side at the moment but let me know what you need.

Chur

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Old 04-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
abubacar
Learning The Ropes
abubacar is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

I was considering going for an audio engineer or music production degree since music is what I enjoy the most. But i reconsidered because I think its a risky thing to get a degree in.

I decided it would be better to pursue a more "traditional" degree (so i went with history and am planning on going to grad school for international affairs) because these degrees leave you with a lot of room when it comes to job searching. If you go for something like an art degree or music, you are so limited with what you can do with that degree. Most of the people i know with art degrees do not have a job in that field (and instead work crappy day jobs while trying to do their art on the side).

I think art and music degrees are a really really bad choice. You are about to throw $30,000-$100,000+ into a degree. You need to be realistic and choose something that you can get a job in and make decent money. Just because you do music "on the side" doesn't mean you can't put all your heart and soul into it. (just sacrifice sleep.. you don't need sleep.) Art and music are not something that you need a degree in to do well or even get a job doing it. Instead, go the practical and economical route, get a tradition degree, and work your friggin ass off learning as much as you can about music production and see what happens.

(note: still in school, so we'll see how this works out for me, but i thought long and hard about many different artistic and musical type degrees ranging from photography, game design, music production, audio engineer, and a multitude of other things.. i swear i change majors more than i change socks.)
abubacar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
Effulgence
Boulder, CO, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubacar View Post
I was considering going for an audio engineer or music production degree since music is what I enjoy the most. But i reconsidered because I think its a risky thing to get a degree in.

I decided it would be better to pursue a more "traditional" degree (so i went with history and am planning on going to grad school for international affairs) because these degrees leave you with a lot of room when it comes to job searching. If you go for something like an art degree or music, you are so limited with what you can do with that degree. Most of the people i know with art degrees do not have a job in that field (and instead work crappy day jobs while trying to do their art on the side).

I think art and music degrees are a really really bad choice. You are about to throw $30,000-$100,000+ into a degree. You need to be realistic and choose something that you can get a job in and make decent money. Just because you do music "on the side" doesn't mean you can't put all your heart and soul into it. (just sacrifice sleep.. you don't need sleep.) Art and music are not something that you need a degree in to do well or even get a job doing it. Instead, go the practical and economical route, get a tradition degree, and work your friggin ass off learning as much as you can about music production and see what happens.

(note: still in school, so we'll see how this works out for me, but i thought long and hard about many different artistic and musical type degrees ranging from photography, game design, music production, audio engineer, and a multitude of other things.. i swear i change majors more than i change socks.)

You make a very valid point. That's why I'm thinking about majoring in software engineering while doing music and art as a side project. I'm also taking music theory and art classes anyways. I'm sure i'll learn a lot in those. I just want to learn how to get what I see/hear in my head onto paper/soundwaves.

------------------
Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
Divercity
Kiwi living in L.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubacar View Post

As someone that is in the job world and has had numerous interviews over the past few years the system is not what you would expect anymore.

These days you could have any degree and still get a job if you have the experience. Employers don't look for specifics as much as they used to anymore. Ive even spoken with interviewers and they have said that even if you have a degree unrelated to the field they will still count you in.

Its not that the degree is specific but it shows you can work hard towards something and not give up.

Summary: Any degree can get you an interview, But your experience and your personality gets you the job

------------------
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
stem collector
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74596760
Thanked 1,077 Times in 749 Posts

isnt the whole idea of getting a degree in music is so you can get a job in the audio field and do music on the side anyway?

------------------
stem collector is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
Flip & Sizzle
Analog Lurker
Flip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MCFlip & Sizzle is a savage MC
Haugesund
MC Status: 32560

I've been taking guitar classes since I was 12, stopped at the age of 19. High school for me was all music, mostly theoretical. Learned a lot, helped a lot. I have never regretted it.

Now I'm at the end of a one year college course in audio engineering and music production. I was a beginner when I started, and now I feel like a semi-professional. The course was focused around acoustic music (I just recently started messing around with electronic music) and I've learned extremely much about production, business, recording, art, performing, mixing, liiiife... It has been the best year of my life so far, and I feel very fulfilled having studied these technical aspects of music. Everything around the artform, and the art itself. It has been one intense year, and I've had the pleasure of recording many bands in different styles. I might have been very lucky with the school I chose.

------------------
Give me a listen on SoundCloud, maybe leave a comment!
Drop me a track and I'll be happy to return the favor! 8)
Flip & Sizzle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #20
p_s_f
Soundwave Mangler
p_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MC
MC Status: 1315326

I've debated music school for a while, however since I already went to school for Microbiology at this point going back seems foolish. However, prior to college I studied music heavily in high school, mostly jazz and theory. I haven't forgotten any of that knowledge.

The best thing I learned in college is you can teach yourself anything you want if you just read enough about it.

Advertisements

p_s_f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote