Best Beginner Midi Keyboard/Synthesizer
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
BassTrap
Granular Poster
BassTrap has a spectacular aura aboutBassTrap has a spectacular aura about
Waterloo, Canada
MC Status: 168
Best Beginner Midi Keyboard/Synthesizer

Oddly enough I didn't find a thread dealing with this. I'm in the process of buying a better computer, monitors, and a midi controller keyboard/synthesizer so I can get to start making music. In this thread I want to ask your opinion on what is the best midi keyboard/synth I should buy, not way over the top expensive.

Basically I just need something piano-like to make music with; I compose with a piano in front of me and I hate using solely my computer for electronic music. Should I buy a synth, or just stick with midi keyboard controller? What about number of keys (25/49/etc), and aftertouch, etc? Anything else I should know?

I asked this question to Steve Duda of Xfer Records via twitter and he replied with an indifferent attitude with something like "I don't really see a difference in them". Thoughts?

Advertisements

------------------
Right, right?
BassTrap is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
UCoB
UCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant futureUCoB has a brilliant future
Chicago
MC Status: 1810
Re: Best Beginner Midi Keyboard/Synthesizer

i would recommend you stick with a midi keyboard and only think about buying synths when you know exactly what you are looking for. what's your budget?

i would recommend Akai MPK25:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

i used to have the 49-key version and it's a quality piece of equipment. i'm personally using a cheap-o oxygen 8 and Akai MPD24. that seems to work fine for what i'm doing at the moment.

if you don't really piano or have intention of learning, and just need something to jam simple things, then 25-key version should be just fine. will be cheaper and will take up less space. otherwise, the more keys, the better.

------------------
UCoB is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
Sentimental
Ask Yourself
Sentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MC
Belfast
MC Status: 755860

The novation impulse or the m-audio axiom pro look to be very good quality midi keyboards with more than enough functions, if you want a synth maybe look at something like a roland gaia or a waldorf blofeld, both look awesome and are very cheap when it comes to synthesizers and like the guy below said, if your piano trained and will make the most of more keys go for 49 or 66 etc if available, if you just want it for mapping etc maybe a 25 key edition willl save you money

Novation Impulse (49) -

Axiom Pro (49) -

Roland Gaia -

Waldorf Blofeld -

------------------
Sentimental is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
BassTrap
Granular Poster
Waterloo, Canada

Some great tips here guys, thanks for the feedback. Ill probably be getting a normal keyboard and try out some vsts as shellbound suggested until I know what I want to get.

Still always open for any other comments/suggestions though

------------------
Right, right?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Blingley
Savage Mad Cunt
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7210929

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassTrap View Post
Basically I just need something piano-like to make music with; I compose with a piano in front of me and I hate using solely my computer for electronic music. Should I buy a synth, or just stick with midi keyboard controller? What about number of keys (25/49/etc), and aftertouch, etc? Anything else I should know?
If you have experience playing actual piano, you almost certainly want hammer-action keys. Semi-weighted are allright, but the non-weighted ones are pretty much only for people who want to pretend they're drummers. (And should be getting a pad-controller instead.)

You might also feel constrained by the less keys most of these have to offer. Of course, it's important to know whether or not you plan on playing live. Having to drag it around makes a 81-key monstority a fair bit less practical, and at the same time makes build quality much more important.

In addition to this, you need to know what other features you need. Do you think you'll be using an expression pedal, for example? Do you want faders, knobs, and other stuff to fiddle? Do you need aftertouch?

------------------
Blingley is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
BassTrap
Granular Poster
Waterloo, Canada

For now all I'm looking for is a keyboard to compose electronic music with, since as I stated above I can't compose unless i see the black and white keys in front of me. I do not know piano much but one of my greatest resolutions for this year is to learn it well. I will want knobs and faders and everything that would help me while using a DAW, and maybe even use it to perform live when I get proficient with DJing and want to step it up. Could you explain to me exactly what is aftertouch and what are its uses?

------------------
Right, right?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Sentimental
Ask Yourself
Sentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MC
Belfast
MC Status: 755860

id say this would be your best option for price ^

ill post another two below that might be alright also

------------------
Sentimental is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11097085

Have you looked into the Roland Juno-Di?

These look pretty sweet, are affordable, portable, and seem pretty versatile. I'm thinking of retiring my Alesis QS6.2 in a year or so, and will probably look at the Di as a ROMpler replacement.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
imagina
Regular Freak
imagina is on a distinguished road
Seattle, WA
MC Status: 14

What is your budget? With no keyboard experience all you really need is something small with maybe some pads, faders or knobs, I would say nothing real expensive until you really feel the need to upgrade based on what you feel would improve your writing style. The oxygen 49 is a great suggestion, or anything that size with some knobs and faders.

I am really glad I bought a very cheap used midi controller, now that I have developed more of a playing style and I know how to a midi controller/synths it I know what direction I want to upgrade and what I want my next controller to have.

Last edited by imagina; 04-13-2012 at 08:50 PM..

Advertisements

imagina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote