What should I call myself? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #21
kurple
kurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MC
rva
MC Status: 7088568
Re: What should I call myself?

Siri, call me Rock God.

Advertisements

------------------
soundcloud.com/bluenicorn facebook.com/bluenicorn
kurple is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #22
Vlantis
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
Kobe
MC Status: 421720979
Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaltesHerz View Post
Well you sort of are a director. You're a musician but in a lot of ways you're a composer. Composers play piano but they do arranging, we do sequencing. Similar right?
Well, sure. I wasn't saying that they weren't related. I was just stating why I didn't like the term "producer" since it already is a word for something else in the music industry. Of course people are going to be confused when you call yourself a producer, the same way they would be confused if you called yourself a director.

Electronic musicians are always complaining that electronic music isn't as accepted as traditional music. Designating some silly (and dare I say pretentious?) title for yourself that already has another use isn't going to help matters much.

Why not call yourself a musician like every other damn musician does? Or like I said earlier "I make music" or if you want to get even more specific "electronic musician" or "I make electronic music." Try it on for size. Practice calling yourself that. It's not so difficult.

(and before anybody claims I'm being grumpy, I'm eating a delicious chocolate chip cookie right now and couldn't be happier. )

------------------
Free albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #23
Rixtr
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
slightly off
MC Status: 329073400

Your new name is........penis!

------------------
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
OnyxNecron
Analog Lurker
OnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MC
The Basemet of Eternal Darkness
MC Status: 134731

Shuddup Vlantis, first of all, I produce (meaning put out) electronic music. Second of all, an acronym can have two meanings, for example: KGB can mean Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti (Committee for State Security, former USSR) or Killer Green Bud (slang for marijuana).

------------------

I've made dubstep in Audacity.
OnyxNecron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #25
Vlantis
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxNecron View Post
Shuddup Vlantis, first of all, I produce (meaning put out) electronic music.
So you're an electronic musician?

And if "produce" means "put out" then I dated a few girls who were great producers.

------------------
Free albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #26
Rixtr
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
slightly off
MC Status: 329073400

Quote:
Shuddup Vlantis, first of all, I produce (meaning put out) electronic music. Second of all, an acronym can have two meanings, for example: KGB can mean Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti (Committee for State Security, former USSR) or Killer Green Bud (slang for marijuana).
YOU FUCK WITH VLANTIS YOU FUCK WITH ME!

and you have no idea who your fucking with

------------------
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #27
OnyxNecron
Analog Lurker
OnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MC
The Basemet of Eternal Darkness
MC Status: 134731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
So you're an electronic musician?

And if "produce" means "put out" then I dated a few girls who were great producers.
Fuck you .-. You knew what I meant, now you are just being obnoxious. You can go around saying you are an EMP and somebody asks "What's that?" and you can say "electronic music producer." and they will understand; unlike when you say you are a DJ people are like "So you're a disc jockey?" and you are like *facepalm*

EDIT: and another thing, the reasone I asked this question in the first place is because farrr to many people in my town call themselves DJs falsely and people get the wrong impression. I know for a fact I'm not to the point of being a DJ yet and none of my freinds are either. That being said, an EMP is one who mixes and creates their own music. Seriously, look it up on google for fucks sake. The software we use is even coined "music production software".

Last edited by OnyxNecron; 03-06-2012 at 05:59 AM..

------------------

I've made dubstep in Audacity.
OnyxNecron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #28
kaltesHerz
Granular Poster
kaltesHerz will become famous soon enough
Maine
MC Status: 60

I think if we go around calling ourselves emps we'll look even more pretentious. Though there is something different about an EMP, we compose entire tracks; Though I guess its usually only with one instrument. Its just different than saying "I play bass", Its like "I compose music".

Ps. lols at the producer joke

------------------
kaltesHerz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #29
Vlantis
Kobe

Quote:
Fuck you .-. You knew what I meant, now you are just being obnoxious. You can go around saying you are an EMP and somebody asks "What's that?" and you can say "electronic music producer." and they will understand; unlike when you say you are a DJ people are like "So you're a disc jockey?" and you are like *facepalm*

EDIT: and another thing, the reasone I asked this question in the first place is because farrr to many people in my town call themselves DJs falsely and people get the wrong impression. I know for a fact I'm not to the point of being a DJ yet and none of my freinds are either. That being said, an EMP is one who mixes and creates their own music. Seriously, look it up on google for fucks sake. The software we use is even coined "music production software".

Wahaha! Relax, dude. You think I'm being serious with that electromagnetic pulse shit? Maybe I needed more smileys? I thought I had enough in my last message. I guess you resort to "fuck you's" whenever somebody's bustin' your balls?

But feel free to call yourself an EMP and have to explain it to people every time, I'll stick with telling people "I make music" and leave it at that.

No wait, but seriously, why do you need to call yourself anything other than "electronic musician?"

------------------
Free albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #30
Vlantis
Kobe

Quote:
I think if we go around calling ourselves emps we'll look even more pretentious.
Yes.

Quote:
Its like "I compose music"
Or you can say "I make music" which will save you the trouble of having to explain that you don't really compose classical style songs or film scores, which is probably what people are going to think.

I swear, only electronic musicians will make something as simple as stating what their hobby is and turn it into something REALLY complicated.

(^the above statement is tongue-in-cheek, since a smiley sticking his tongue out may not be sufficient for everybody)

------------------
Free albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #31
kaltesHerz
Granular Poster
Maine

I think we should go back to being emcees.

------------------
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #32
Vlantis
Kobe

Quote:
I think we should go back to being emcees.
I'm not an MC, man. I'm a vocal rythmist (VR).

------------------
Free albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #33
ghyt
ghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MC
Edmontontontontonton
MC Status: 471623551
Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,111 Posts

what the fuck.

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
We are all ghyt's children.

ghyt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #34
kaltesHerz
Granular Poster
Maine

MC kaltesHerz feat vocal rhythmics by your mom.

------------------
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
hellscion
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
the nightmare world
MC Status: 91341673

Look up all the definitions of 'producer', none of them mean 'someone who makes EDM or experimental electronic music.. It's generally a word for someone who oversees a production, often because they contributed the funds to make it happen.

A 'producer' in circles like this one is either confused or believes what they do as something other than making music..

Call yourself a musician, man!

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #36
Divercity
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
Kiwi living in L.A
MC Status: 109298977

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghytwembpang View Post
w

I agree.

------------------
NEW Soundcloud Account: https://soundcloud.com/koronisdnb

"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #37
Mindsweeper
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
凸(๏∀๏)凸
MC Status: 262717029
Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
Call yourself a musician, fuck what other people think.

I'm going to quote myself because it's really the most practical thing to do. I agree with Vlantis. By insisting that you go by something other than "musician", you're not improving the general public's view of electronic music. If anything, you're making it worse.

------------------
CLICK IF YOU LIKE FOUR-TO-FLOORS THAT AREN'T ELECTRO HOUSE

Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #38
stem collector
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74588910

I always say "im an audio guy"

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
Boretron42
Boretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MCBoretron42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 249468287
Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,720 Posts

Call yourself human and try not to vomit.
Boretron42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #40
Benwaa
Benwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MCBenwaa is a savage MC
Twll Dyn
MC Status: 275070997
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,418 Posts

I think anyone who asks this question should call themselves "Bum Cheek" until they figure out in their own heads through experience and what-not what they should call themselves. I have to say at this point i am very tempted to change the OPs username to "Bum Cheek" until they do indeed figure it out.....

Advertisements

------------------

Benwaa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote