mpc 500 AND sp404sx
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222203334
Thanked 1,043 Times in 809 Posts
mpc 500 AND sp404sx

Ok so like a fool i have bought both a roland sp404sx and an akai mpc500 and i havent even taken delivery of either of them yet! (genius i know). what id like you guys to help me with is how im going to set them up so they work as well together as they can. The sp has limited polyphony and the pads arent velocity sensitive so it will be shit for drums but it has great fx and i think will help me to be very creative, the mpc has a much better sequencer apparently and i want that to be where i put my tracks together as well as being part of the creative process too. The sp only has midi in and the akai has in and out (i think) but im guessing only clock messages will need to be sent, i also want to have my korg electribe mx-1 in the mix which has in, out and thru. i cant wait to find out i hate the workflow on hardware samplers lol. posted painstakenly from a samsung.

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
MC Status: 25171546
Re: mpc 500 AND sp404sx

Do yourself a favour and get a proper midi thru box, such as: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

or a merger such as: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

.. if you are planning on adding more than those three items, it will be a good idea anyway, but you could prob get by for the time being without them.

Do not use the korg as master clock, the timing fluctuates like mad - the akai is likely to be the most tight, but I dont know, its one of them new things... so

Last edited by Delinquent Dialect; 02-20-2012 at 03:13 AM..

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {"
"}
Available on vinyl from Trensmat Records http://www.trensmat.com/tr035.html
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck butter
MC Status: -12411785

slave everything to the akai and you will have the least drift. The roland has some damn good effects but you need to learn how to use them properly. People dont realize what you can do with the effects inside of the 555 and 404 its pretty huge. The akai is legit for making beats and you can slave the 404 to the akai while running either the akai or electribe through the audio in on the 404. With these 3 units you could replace the need for using a laptop all together. Map each part to each unit and make a song change become a program change like you were doing a set. You could honestly play an entire show on the 404 but if you wanted to use everything its just a matter of isolating segments of your song to each device. Live beats on the akai would be dope if you sequenced a bass line and some pads or other riffs into the 404 and the electribe. Id probably alternate between songs playing the beat live or triggering samples that build the song live. Oh and for reference this is essentially what I did to produce Tiger Roll. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

thanks guys, this is great info!
what do you reckon is the best way to have audio transferring between them whilst being quick enough so i don't lose my workflow? just recording from one to another?? sounds like a daft question but i can imagine there being problems with this..

and yeah i bought the sp with the thought that if i ever do any gigs id just use that

thanks again

------------------
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Automageddon
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269381458
Thanked 1,157 Times in 818 Posts

Also remember you will need a mixer as the MPC 500 doesn't have an audio through

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
FunkMasterBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Also remember you will need a mixer as the MPC 500 doesn't have an audio through
i knew i'd need a mixer but that has just confused me like fuck!

what do you mean?

------------------
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Automageddon
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269381458
Thanked 1,157 Times in 818 Posts

If you use the MPC to trigger the sounds on an external module (Sp-404 or em-x) you will need an external mixer as the MPC 500 can sample audio, but not let audio through.
So an audio flow SP-404-->MPC-500-->Output it won't work.
I'm not sure I made things clearer, see [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
FunkMasterBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
If you use the MPC to trigger the sounds on an external module (Sp-404 or em-x) you will need an external mixer as the MPC 500 can sample audio, but not let audio through.
So an audio flow SP-404-->MPC-500-->Output it won't work.
I'm not sure I made things clearer, see [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
ahhhh, thanks for that mate, i just assumed id put it all through a mixer any way!

------------------
Old 02-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck buttercalypsoB is made of duck butter
MC Status: -12411785

Good call on the mixer, On top of that, if you wish to record you are going to want a mixer with usb or firewire, with enough channels to record everything. I like the allen heath stuff and the mackie onyyx stuff for multitracking and not spending a gazillion dollars.

Advertisements

calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote