What setup to run sounds out of computer and back in?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Closed Thread
Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 24-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
What setup to run sounds out of computer and back in?

What setup would one need to run sounds out of the computer to a distortion for example?

I have been thinking if sound this to get a bit hands on at least and to give the sounds some character. It would be cool to run a drum track out into a reverb and adjust it real time while it's recording strait back in...

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks
Old 24-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906309
Thanked 3,542 Times in 2,146 Posts
Re: What setup to run sounds out of computer and back in?

Well, you can do this provided that you have an output and an input on your computer and don't want to listen to the input going back into the computer. Otherwise, you would need an audio interface with multiple outputs. Then you set one as your master output and the other as a send output which sends audio out of your interface and into whatever device and then back into the audio interface input.
Jaded is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Jaded
henryspencer (25-04-2014)
Old 24-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20460

jack to jack (with a Minnie adapter )
joem is offline   Thanks
Old 24-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon6 Re: What setup to run sounds out of computer and back in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
What setup would one need to run sounds out of the computer to a distortion for example?

I have been thinking if sound this to get a bit hands on at least and to give the sounds some character. It would be cool to run a drum track out into a reverb and adjust it real time while it's recording strait back in...
Props for asking a sophisticated question. I think this is actually a sophisticated technique. It would have some drawbacks but it would also have some advantages.

I think if you got a PCI soundcard that had enough ASIO output sends AND a headphones monitor and multiple inputs... the kind of soundcard that could record a drummer... then it would work.

I think most USB interfaces wouldn't be able to do it right. But I don't know for sure. A good firewire interface could probably do it though as long as it also had enough inputs and outputs.

Exactly how many inputs and outputs, I don't know. But more than the M-Audio Delta Audiophile 249.... I used to own that and it wasn't enough to do stuff like that.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Nystagmus
Old 24-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Any multiple (4+) I/O audio interface.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Evelon
Old 26-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #6
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628539

I use a motu 828 (mk3) for that. 10 ins / 10 outs, expandable with adat, so it's more or less future proof if you want to add more pedals later on. The earlier models can be bought second hand for not too much.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks
Old 27-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8559680
Thanked 7,375 Times in 5,214 Posts

Yea...pretty much an audio interface with 2 audio ins and 2 audio outs will sort you. You will be able to monitor both the dry and wet signal from your DAW via your headphones or monitors. Doesn't take anything special, really.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 27-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #8
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455

Just to chime in, I've done it with my Komplete Audio 6. After some head scratching of course. Im not looking at it right now so I honestly can't explain what I did, but it worked perfectly. I know it worked perfectly because I actually used it to play an exclusive track on soundcloud, through my sound card and back into my soundcard into a track in ableton, which I then recorded, giving me a pristine copy of the track.

For the record, I wasn't up to no good, just wanted the exclusive track for my listening enjoyment.
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks
Old 27-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8559680
Thanked 7,375 Times in 5,214 Posts

Seriously guys. Its not rocket surgery. A tad of a learning curve if youve never done it before. Ask one of the hardware guys specific questions. We will get you sorted.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to relic
Str8Jaketed (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
TallTimber
Regular Freak
TallTimber will become famous soon enough
Pittsburgh
MC Status: 60

A mixer is super helpful. I run 2 outs (left n right) from my interface into my mackie and a stereo sub mix back into my interface. This way I can monitor and record simultaneously without messing with in/out settings on the computer. Any channel on the mackie can be sent into my interface and any audio from my computer can be sent to my effects units.
TallTimber is offline   Thanks
Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Dose View Post
Just to chime in, I've done it with my Komplete Audio 6. After some head scratching of course.
To use the Audio 6 as an example, it's pretty simple to send return audio from your computer. Just connect outputs 3&4 to the input on the external device and then connect its output to inputs 3&4. Now you have a send return loop.

These kinds of problems are really simple to solve. It just requires thinking about where the sound is going. If your external device is mono, then you know you need to use one output and one input to get audio to and from it. If it's stereo, 2 ins and outs are needed. Just like if you want to set up delay and reverb sends you know you need to create a return track for each effect.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #12
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

You can view an audio signal like a series of water pipes...you want the water to go from one place to another and back again..only in audio ..licorice carries the signal...what goes must come back in( if you want to hear it).. Jaded's pic is spot on....

One of the reasons I keep a copy of Reason..love all that fake little licorice...easy way to show anyone i am teaching signal flow to.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks
Old 09-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #13
Jaded
Total mad cunt

^^ It doesn't get more special person proof than that image
Thanks to Jaded
Str8Jaketed (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #14
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Um ..nope...at least I would hope so ..0_o

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks
Old 09-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #15
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
To use the Audio 6 as an example, it's pretty simple to send return audio from your computer. Just connect outputs 3&4 to the input on the external device and then connect its output to inputs 3&4. Now you have a send return loop.

These kinds of problems are really simple to solve. It just requires thinking about where the sound is going. If your external device is mono, then you know you need to use one output and one input to get audio to and from it. If it's stereo, 2 ins and outs are needed. Just like if you want to set up delay and reverb sends you know you need to create a return track for each effect.
I know at the time I wanted to work with what I had, without having to go out and buy a cord. I wanted to sample quality sound off the internet. All i had was quarter inch jacks to a stereo quarter inch jack. I recall coming out of the headphone output and directly into balanced 3 and 4. I also remember being disappointed when I realized you can't just pass audio through these as a standalone unit, has to be hosted by a daw (can't remember the term for this feature, didn't know id miss it until I wanted it)

Either way, I agree, its all very simple, and part of the fun. Just visualize the path in your head

edit: definitely not knocking the Audio 6. Its a built like a tank and sounds accurate and clean
Old 09-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #16
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
I know at the time I wanted to work with what I had, without having to go out and buy a cord. I wanted to sample quality sound off the internet. All i had was quarter inch jacks to a stereo quarter inch jack. I recall coming out of the headphone output and directly into balanced 3 and 4.
You've essentially done the same thing except you've used the computer's internal audio interface to output audio into your external audio's input. It's the same loop, just a different output. The major difference being that you're using unbalanced cables so any ground interference stays. At low voltages though, it's generally unlikely to be noticeable, especially because you're streaming a 128kbps audio stream in the first place, so the signal is already so degraded that it doesn't make a difference.

Quote:
I also remember being disappointed when I realized you can't just pass audio through these as a standalone unit, has to be hosted by a daw (can't remember the term for this feature, didn't know id miss it until I wanted it)
Of course you can output your system audio via your audio interface. Simply open up your system preferences and set the system audio device. Obviously, this is a bad idea. But it's entirely possible. Although, once again, it's way too much effort for recording a Soundcloud rip.

Quote:
edit: definitely not knocking the Audio 6. Its a built like a tank and sounds accurate and clean
For recording rips from Soundcloud, you could've just ran a 1/8" cable from your headphone output into your computer's audio internal input and gotten just as good a recreation.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #17
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Quote:
You've essentially done the same thing except you've used the computer's internal audio interface to output audio into your external audio's input. It's the same loop, just a different output. The major difference being that you're using unbalanced cables so any ground interference stays. At low voltages though, it's generally unlikely to be noticeable, especially because you're streaming a 128kbps audio stream in the first place, so the signal is already so degraded that it doesn't make a difference.
No, actually this was a loop entirely in and out of the Komplete Audio 6. Out of its headphone output, and directly into its balanced inputs, this cord was also a quality balanced cord. I had the windows sound routed out through my audio 6, but i also had Ableton open and inputs 3+4 routed to an audio track for recording. It worked flawlessly, and now thanks to this thread forcing me to describe it in words Ill remember exactly what to do next time.

essentially if you can stream quality high bitrate sound off the internet, you can record it with all the quality of the Audio 6
Old 09-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #18
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Quote:

For recording rips from Soundcloud, you could've just ran a 1/8" cable from your headphone output into your computer's audio internal input and gotten just as good a recreation.
I'd have to disagree. Although I have a great laptop, they still are prone to signal noise. Sending it out to the soundcard eliminates some of the noise, it also allows better quality sound than windows shitty asio driver.

The thing with this sound routing stuff, soon as you realize what you're doing, it takes minimal effort and about 30 seconds to route whatever you want, providing you have the right cables
Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #19
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Oh shit! I remember what I was disappointed with now. Not that it couldn't pass audio through in standalone. It was that I thought it was a little silly that you are already passing the audio through the sound card, you shouldn't have to use cords at all. As in, you can't transfer sound from one input to whichever output (or vise-versa) internally. This is a feature on more pricey units Im sure.

Either way im content
Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #20
Jaded
Total mad cunt

^^^ Routing audio internally in a computer isn't a feature of an audio interface. Its function is to route audio to and from the computer. If a sound remains in the computer, there is no need to use an audio interface because the files are in the computer.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It's easy to route audio between applications internally. One application I can think of is Cycling 74's Soundflower for Mac. I'm sure there's a Windows equivalent or ten. It just lets you set up a "virtual interface" with quite a few options for audio routing.

Advertisements

Closed Thread