Ditch the gear and use iPad for DJing?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back ğ The Studio ğ The Studio
Old 21-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Mr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud of
Bristol
MC Status: 1010
Ditch the gear and use iPad for DJing?

So I don't have an iPad and if I get one it will be purely for DJing. I could do with not wasting the £550 so I just want to sanity check this by you guys to be honest.

Currently I use Ableton and have mapped the features I want to a midi controller. I'm a big believer in simple mixing - straightforward transitions using minimal FX, EQ doing most of the job. Therefore I think I have a good opportunity to ditch lumbering around an expensive laptop, controller and soundcard by moving to an iPad setup with Traktor and an N.I. Z1.

So the way I look at this, I really couldn't give a rats arse about any DJ snobbery that some people have towards iPads / controllers, and I'll have the things I need:
Waveform and location within the track
Cue points
FX if I want them (probs delay the most)
Z1 covering crossfader, EQ and filters

Has anyone had good success with this setup or are the realities of it a bit more fiddly than you want?

Originally I was going to get some CDJs and Mixer so I could guarantee all the tech I need would already be in the club, but it's a shit tonne of money.

cheers

Advertisements

------------------
Mr. 50 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts
Re: Ditch the gear and use iPad for DJing?

i've seen people use ipads, so it must work. give it a try, if its a purely a money thing. why not? save some cash. always a good thing right? i'm pretty sure i've seen deadmau5 use multiple ipads. and i believe one of our members, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, uses one to live perform. or has used one.

honestly, i think its a bit gimicky. but for something simple and quick, suppose it makes sense. whatevs.
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Whatever works for you, it's up to you. I would personally rather have the feel of even a control surface's turntables because that's comfort to me and I like to twiddle around with tactile controls as opposed to smudging around on a screen - I use a kontrol s2 that I managed to grab on sale. CDJ's are going to run you into the ground price-wise from what I've read and heard, but even a simple cheaper plastic controller would be more tactile that a touch screen.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560080
Thanked 7,383 Times in 5,220 Posts

My biggest concern would be with how much signal an iPad can push...but if you are using the sound card in the Z1 should be solid...

I agree with Boretron...touch seemed badass for production...before I got a tablet. My Nexus is great for lots of stuff, but I feel like it isn't responsive/accurate enough and I would fuck up the mix.

I have been toying with Maschine as a DJ controller in Traktor...I'm not sure I am a fan. I am thinking of just getting a plain old analog DJ mixer and using the I/O on my interface and routing the audio out of Traktor to that. I can handle using the mouse to load tracks and hit play.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Mr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud of
Bristol

Just to be clear guys, I already have a well mapped out, well gigged setup - it's more of a question of if this can replace.

It's about if the iPad is going to be a good enough / tactile enough solution for my cue points, track loading and viewing the track waveform / current playback location. A few of you have said it's filddly, but if talking about cue points as the only real time sensitive task (albeit a big one) would you change your mind?

EQ, x-fade, filters, soundcard etc all dealt with externally (either taking my soundcard and using the club mixer or a Z1, either would work for me as well used to the standard Rane / Pioneer mixer options 99% of clubs have)

cheers

------------------
Old 22-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

What interface are you going to get for the Ipad that allows you to cue tracks / headphone monitoring?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
What interface are you going to get for the Ipad that allows you to cue tracks / headphone monitoring?
As above dude, I already have a soundcard for gigging. If Traktor DJ is good enough I will either use my sound card and the club mixer or a Z1.

This is purely about the control of cue points and navigation, please read previous posts!

------------------
Old 22-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Does traktor DJ come with a connector for the ipad or does the Z1 do that via it's connection to the ipad? How do you get two separate signals out from the ipad is what I'm asking.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Bristol

Quote:
Does traktor DJ come with a connector for the ipad or does the Z1 do that via it's connection to the ipad? How do you get two separate signals out from the ipad is what I'm asking.
Yep, Z1 interfaces directly with traktor dj via the standard USB to lightning cable. Same for my sound card (so it's either mixing within the Z1 and sending the master out to a channel on the club mixer, or using th soundcard to output 2 stereo channels into 2 channels on the club mixer and using that to mix)

------------------
Thanks to Mr. 50
scyn (22-04-2014)
Old 22-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #10
magavan
Soundwave Mangler
magavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MC
MC Status: 125540

Quote:
Aside from Z1, there's also the $10 Traktor DJ cable

magavan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906309
Thanked 3,542 Times in 2,146 Posts

I can't really say I am a fan of the Traktor iPad app. The best place I've used it is during live gigs. It's really good for playing music during the intermission. You just queue a couple of tracks up and hit play on the next one near the end of the previous. But I can't even bring myself to do more than cue a track with it. Obviously with something like the Z1 it would provide a much less tap heavy method of navigating and controlling the interface.

Also, as far as I can tell there is no integration between Traktor DJ (ipad app) and Traktor Pro. When I accessed tracks on my iPad, no beat grids, hot cues etc. Of course, maybe there is a way to do this. Unfortunately, I just haven't found the tablet app compelling enough to investigate.

Then there's no remix or sample decks or decks C & D. From the looks of NI, they are slowly rolling in some of the new features from Traktor Pro (like Flux Mode). But I cannot see them ever encompassing the full Traktor Pro feature set.

Put it this way, I liken the iPad app to Traktor LE that originally came with the X1. Traktor LE was a great introduction. But without being able to upgrade to the Pro feature set I can't see it replacing my laptop any time soon.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #12
Acidicfriend
Learning The Ropes
Acidicfriend will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

it certainly looks great, but the lack of hitting a real button can cause slip-ups and I don't really know how bad lag can get on ipads but I'd figure it'd better to use real gear.
Acidicfriend is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidicfriend View Post
it certainly looks great, but the lack of hitting a real button can cause slip-ups and I don't really know how bad lag can get on ipads but I'd figure it'd better to use real gear.
This is my concern, with a button you 'know' it's happened without having to be directly looking at it. Basically, I just need to borrow an iPad and find out really...

------------------
Old 25-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
edium
Sample Destroyer
edium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

so u launch clips from your ipad? i dont like it but hey

------------------
please subscribe if you like my music. cheers!
edium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by edium View Post
so u launch clips from your ipad? i dont like it but hey
That's what I'm trying to work - will it be good enough!? Launching cue points needs to be rock solid, can't be needing to hit it twice and miss the beat

------------------
Old 25-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

I'd be worried about reliability tbh

Advertisements

lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lebeux
PROton42 (28-04-2014)