For Ableton Users - Send/Return delay problem
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back ğ The Studio ğ The Studio
Old 21-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
edium
Sample Destroyer
edium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760
For Ableton Users - Send/Return delay problem

Okay so recently i became more aware of this delay when using send/returns. i noticed that when you have the plugin turned off on the return, you hear a noticable delay between the playback. I knew of this problem but never really thought much of it until now because I guess it sounded okay?

How do you guys deal with this? I could delay the return track so that they 'synced up' but it seems to put massive strain on my computing power.. for example ive got the return delayed by -868.9 ms for a reverb. Do some plugins correct for this? or does ableton correct for this at all?

edit: Okay so now i mess about again cuz i thought maybe i should delay it in the positive direction(which makes no sense but okay) and it starts sounding really off, then i home in on 0.0 again and its synced. Wtf??

Advertisements

------------------
please subscribe if you like my music. cheers!
edium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: For Ableton Users - Send/Return delay problem

I put a VSTi on a track with the send at 100%. Panned that track 100% left & panned the Return 100% right, then set the sends to Pre fader. When I play a clip I hear both the left (the VSTi track) and right (Return track) channel at exactly the same time, even if I revert to my on-board soundcard with the dx driver. So...not really sure what the problem is. Are you sure there's no predelay on your reverb? Have you tried with a VSTi synth to see if the sounds are in time?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
claaser
Soundscaper
claaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MC
MC Status: 8385220

The return track should not sound different than the other effects. Return tracks are just practical to use if you are using the same settings on more than one track. It also saves CPU, especially in the case of reverb.

Do you have the delays on any effect or just on delays or reverbs? Delay and reverb have a delay by default. Or do you also get delay on e.g. a distortion effect?

------------------
Glitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks.
claaser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
edium
Sample Destroyer
edium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to behold

its not the effect, i noticed that the return was off when the effect was turned off - so i would hear 2 dry signals delayed which sounds like what scyn is talking about - so this is something you do for every send?

yeah so before there was a delay, now there is no delay i am confused...... and i tried this with the effect on, and the dry wet set to all the way dry as well

------------------
Old 21-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edium View Post
so this is something you do for every send?
Do what? I'm not too sure what you're asking anymore.

There shouldn't be any delay in a Return track - it plays at exactly the same time as the track it's receiving audio from. The only thing that might affect it is a plugin, and unless there's a delay setting on the plugin, the processing time the plugin (on the return track) needs to deal with the sound should be so negligible as to be unnoticeable.

Try it with an instance of Operator sending to a Return track and see if there's a delay.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
edium
Sample Destroyer

yeah sorry, it must have been computer lag or something.. because it is now playing as it should (synchronized) thanks for the help though

------------------
Old 21-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
SunkLo
SunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MC
MC Status: 132300

Ableton has shitty PDC. Bitwig had some similar issues on launch but they seem to have patched things up a bit. Still not perfect though, last time I looked into it.

Advertisements

SunkLo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote