Stereo imaging and headphone: Have we been underestimating our ability to percieve?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 20-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66696
Stereo imaging and headphone: Have we been underestimating our ability to percieve?

I understand traditions and I understand the 'if it works, stay with it' mentality but after reading so many posts on if your going to seriously make music, you 'have' to do it on montiors because they physically show you where the stereo image is...

But what about people who have listened mixed-on-monitors-music on headphones for years and years? Wouldn't they develop a perception of that stereo image? I suppose it would help to go back and forth between monitors and headphones but I can't help but feel people are being over traditional and stick-to-the-books instead of being an independent mind who (say) using the placebo effect, can make music with well done stereo imaging on headphones.

Advertisements

Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
DanAudioAnimals
Granular Poster
DanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of lightDanAudioAnimals is a glorious beacon of light
London
MC Status: 460
Re: Stereo imaging and headphone: Have we been underestimating our ability to perciev

My stereo perception goes out the window on headphones, but I don't reference enough between monitors and headphones to be able to make the translation as well as others can.
DanAudioAnimals is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
drumsdrumsdrums
Minor Glitch
drumsdrumsdrums will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: Stereo imaging and headphone: Have we been underestimating our ability to perciev

There's something to lose as well as something to gain by making the decision to optimize your sound for a certain playback system(s).

Last edited by drumsdrumsdrums; 21-04-2014 at 03:27 AM..
drumsdrumsdrums is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026

Actually the sterofield is quite clear and well expanded on good headphones but it's always better on monitors. I usually work 30/70 on headphones/monitors.
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18026269

you will not develop a sense of space that is not there by using headphones all your life.
even if you could you would have to listen to life through headphones too, because you might produce with headphones, but then you take them off and go outside and all the sounds around you are being perceived in proper space rather than through headphones. most people are not concious of it, but its the sounds we hear around us all the time that develop our perceptions.

i think if we were to put headphones on the moment we were born and hear everything in life through headphones it would have some really weird effects on our spacial perception.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744039041
Thanked 7,432 Times in 4,608 Posts

Not to mention the development of the human ear took a little while longer than even the best headphones.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

I used to mix on headphones before i could afford monitors, and low and behold it ALWAYS required me to go back an redo everything on speakers of some sort. I think the guys that mention the acoustical physics of why headphones don't work for mixing have the bases covered. Also human hearing is stereo, not biphonic. Headphones are a biphonic system that happens to play back stereo material.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote