There's a FL Studio 12 alpha around, apparently.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 18-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20460

just wondering if anyone has tried it out yet its apparently completely different and they've got single channel swing now.

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660
Re: theres a fl 12 alpha around apparently

Exactly the same just the usual "upgrades" graphics are slightly more rendered and more stuff doesn´t work.what do you expect though it´s an alpha

FL12 has kind of affirmed to though that i never want to touch this piece of shit again i´m kind of fed up with Gol adding gimmicky features which are only of use to a minority and attempting to corner a market he is never going to get a slice of the pie of, as Live has well and truly took the whole bakery years prior

When you can´t even get something as simple as PDC to work and consider higher PPQ to be an "unnecessary feature" you have no business making daws.the fact he is thinking of going dongle as the license scheme aswell just goes beyond fuckin audacity.

Proud owner of a FL license since 4 NO MORE going full cubendo

TIMT

Last edited by TIMT; 18-04-2014 at 12:05 PM..
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
Paraxidor
Microknight
Paraxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

I doubt its "completely different", but yah there is one. I havent even upgraded to 11 yet lol.

------------------
Mediocre electronic music from an unknown guy on the internet, what's new?
Paraxidor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20460

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMT View Post
Exactly the same just the usual "upgrades" graphics are slightly more rendered and more stuff doesn´t work.what do you expect though it´s an alpha

FL12 has kind of affirmed to though that i never want to touch this piece of shit again i´m kind of fed up with Gol adding gimmicky features which are only of use to a minority and attempting to corner a market he is never going to get a slice of the pie of, as Live has well and truly took the whole bakery years prior

When you can´t even get something as simple as PDC to work and consider higher PPQ to be an "unnecessary feature" you have no business making daws.the fact he is thinking of going dongle as the license scheme aswell just goes beyond fuckin audacity.

TIMT
tried it now and totally agree why the fuck has he changed where you add a new pattern to an option in the top left hand corner is beyond me and had all our hopes up that the new sample feature would work as a freeze track option but nope only works with audio. All people needed was for fruity to have a decent freeze option it could be the make unique as sample feature but gol yet again has fucked up was once a great daw so yea its confirmed me to move on to bitwig. all fruity needed was to sort out pdc and a freeze track option and it would be amazing but nope gol can go fuck off and die and have a black man rape his bewidering corpse, buy buy fruity bit wigs now my love child
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
eery
Soundwave Mangler
eery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond repute
Gjøvik
MC Status: 3910

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
nope gol can go fuck off and die and have a black man rape his bewidering corpse, buy buy fruity bit wigs now my love child
calm down, geez.

I dunno, from what Ive seen the graphic updates look nice at least. I'm still sticking to 10, but might try out 12...when its released, alphas just kind of ruin the surprise.

------------------

"Get yourself together, man. Move to Philly. Buy a loft. Start a noise band.
Get six or seven roommates… eat hummus with them.
Book some gigs. Paint. Smoke cloves.
Listen to Animal Collective. Start some type of salsa company."
eery is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon6 Re: theres a fl 12 alpha around apparently

i do agree that freeze and PDC are pretty crucial. I would think those would get addressed soon.

But higher PPQ isn't necessary unless you are doing SMPTE sync to film and need stuff to happen at precise microseconds. As long as you can play 64th notes or whatnot, you have the beat resolution you need. I do think that FL Studio could be improved by allowing the beat grid to go up from 64 beats to 128 beats per pattern. But that's not a PPQ thing, that's a meter thing. Most drum machines and even software can function with a measely 96 PPQ and if it's buggy hardware sometimes you can fix it by just doubling the BPM. Most people aren't slaving MIDI devices together like in the 1980s, so yeah PPQ again, is not important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
but nope gol can go fuck off and die and have a black man rape his bewidering corpse, buy buy fruity bit wigs now my love child
Please leave the racist comments out of the music forum. And calling this Gol dude names is seriously not going to improve FL Studio any.

Black men don't rape bewildering corpses. Leave that to the serial murderer white guys like jeffrey daumer, charles mansion, john gacey, son of sam, zodiac killer, texas chainsaw guy, and the guy silence of the lambs is based upon. all white guys. Check the FBI serial murderer necrophilia statistics. It's usually white males.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560080
Thanked 7,383 Times in 5,220 Posts
Re: There's a FL Studio 12 alpha around, apparently.

I would be curious to know which DAWs have PDC down right.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I would be curious to know which DAWs have PDC down right.
In my experience, nearly every DAW does it better than FL. Like, I love FL and all, but every other DAW I've worked with seems to do PDC better. Could just be all in my head, I've yet to confirm it via tests or anything... but, who knows? Either way, it's looking like there's a good chance I'll end up skipping over FL 12, unless they announce anything impressive in the next little while.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artifiseer
relic (21-04-2014)
Old 21-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifiseer View Post
In my experience, nearly every DAW does it better than FL. Like, I love FL and all, but every other DAW I've worked with seems to do PDC better. Could just be all in my head, I've yet to confirm it via tests or anything... but, who knows? Either way, it's looking like there's a good chance I'll end up skipping over FL 12, unless they announce anything impressive in the next little while.
Yea...I mean...maybe I am doing something wrong...but I pretty much cant do parallel compression in FL Studio because it always sounds "doubled" or delayed. I havent tried to fix that in a while, so I dont know what all I have tried.

I really dont want to buy a new DAW. Some of them seem outragouesly priced. Guess I could just make the jump to Reaper on the cheap.

Just that I feel like I have everything figured out in FL and am making some good tunes. Switching DAWs feels like starting over....

------------------
Old 21-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29010

PDC is the main thing that pisses me off about FL studio, but there is definitely going to be some work done on the mixer.. hopefully they will improve it.

I just can't quit that piano roll though. Once you use it for long enough, others just feel retardedly slow by comparison.

I must say thouhg.. the new GUI is looking good so far.

I also hope they add a new sampler, which they might.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29010

Quote:
Yea...I mean...maybe I am doing something wrong...but I pretty much cant do parallel compression in FL Studio because it always sounds "doubled" or delayed. I havent tried to fix that in a while, so I dont know what all I have tried.

I really dont want to buy a new DAW. Some of them seem outragouesly priced. Guess I could just make the jump to Reaper on the cheap.

Just that I feel like I have everything figured out in FL and am making some good tunes. Switching DAWs feels like starting over....
Don't change man, it's not worth the time to learn a new DAW. There are always work arounds. People were making killer tunes in FLS before it even had PDC at all.

For parallel compression, all you have to do is find a compressor that doesn't have latency. There are many. If you turn all of the look ahead off on fruity limiter it will be zero latency. Then you can just a use the wet/dry knob that's on every insert slot.

However, if you do want to check out another DAW might I suggest presonus studio one. Great workflow. Very streamlined, and they seem to be adding new features thoughtfully with a quality over quantity mentality.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
relic (21-04-2014)
Old 21-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Don't change man, it's not worth the time to learn a new DAW. There are always work arounds. People were making killer tunes in FLS before it even had PDC at all.

For parallel compression, all you have to do is find a compressor that doesn't have latency. There are many. If you turn all of the look ahead off on fruity limiter it will be zero latency. Then you can just a use the wet/dry knob that's on every insert slot.

However, if you do want to check out another DAW might I suggest presonus studio one. Great workflow. Very streamlined, and they seem to be adding new features thoughtfully with a quality over quantity mentality.
Thanks man. Ironically Studio One was high on my list : )

I will have to have a look around for a zero latency character compressor VST. In the mean time I will give Fruity Limiter a shot. I really like it for workhorse duties already. I know it must not be impossible to get it right as parallel compression is the only kind of parallel processing where I have issues. Everything else is accurate enough I cant hear anything wonky going on.

------------------
Old 21-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

Quote:

I have the exact same issues. For any parallel processing that doesn't involve time-based effects, I always have to like, duplicate the channels and have the same plugin chain on the dry and wet channels, but with the settings set to nothing on the clean channel, which is SO inefficient and eats up so much CPU, it's usually not even really worth it. I also hate how they've made the mixer so 'idiotproof' that it's impossible to create feedback loops. Like, I love doing feedback loops with delays and reverbs for like, tape-delay type effects and psych-inspired stuff, but I have to use the 'lite' version of Live that came with some silly little gadget I bought if I want to do stuff like that, which is a bit of a hassle when still do all my projects in FL. Like, how hard is it to make the routing options a switch that can be toggled, so people who don't know what they're doing don't deafen themselves, and people who do can have a little fun with it?

Yeah, if the rest of the big-name DAWs out there weren't so expensive, I'd be VERY tempted to buy Live or something.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artifiseer
relic (21-04-2014)
Old 21-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
PDC is the main thing that pisses me off about FL studio, but there is definitely going to be some work done on the mixer.. hopefully they will improve it.

I just can't quit that piano roll though. Once you use it for long enough, others just feel retardedly slow by comparison.

I must say thouhg.. the new GUI is looking good so far.

I also hope they add a new sampler, which they might.
The piano roll is one of the primary reasons I dont want to switch.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Yea. I end up just using the wet/dry knob on a lot of things instead of parallel processing. Its kind of annoying, but Ive learned how to work with the limitation instead of against it.

Learning a new DAW just feels like a huge loss of time when I already dont have a ton of time for music already...

------------------
Old 21-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269473508
Thanked 2,998 Times in 1,989 Posts

I'm not sure I should post here, you guys seem pretty vocal about this, but apparently 12 will be more than a graphic overhaul, it will involve some engine rewriting and real mac version, no wrapper involved...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (21-04-2014)
Old 21-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I'm not sure I should post here, you guys seem pretty vocal about this, but apparently 12 will be more than a graphic overhaul, it will involve some engine rewriting and real mac version, no wrapper involved...
Thats cool. Any chance you saw that in some kind of article or something? TBH, I dont really keep up with my DAW that closely. I just alwasy upgraded about six months after they release a new version. Personally, I really do love FL Studio except for a few things.

I am willing to wait this out and see what is up with version 12...an rumors generated by an alpha version are not enough to rile me into dumping cash into a new DAW...

------------------
Old 21-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #17
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269473508
Thanked 2,998 Times in 1,989 Posts

Of course I have a link babe, but be aware it's musicradar, so I don't trust it 100%
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (21-04-2014)
Old 21-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #18
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Of course I have a link babe, but be aware it's musicradar, so I don't trust it 100%
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Yea...MusicRadar...lol Thanks though. Will have a look!

------------------
Old 22-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #19
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Have you tried manual pdc? [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, though, I'm not sure if this will even work with fl's poor pdc.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheWizar
relic (22-04-2014)
Old 22-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMT View Post

TIMT

I kind of agree. While I found out about fl studio in college from people I was talking to years ago, I felt lucky I jumped into FL 10 when I did; FL10/11 we're going to this direction that didn't make sense. Have to cycle through a bunch of patterns to arrange? No blocks? Lots of focus on making things squeaky clean? I stick to the old way because frankly I can get things DONE my way. So I'll stick with fl10 til the cows come home. I think DAW selection comes down to version, not company.

I still remember I read in CM magazine bass hunter saying he didn't check versions in years, because he didn't have time. And frankly, the new toys image line are making to "catch up ", changing their business structure....I might use a few but I don't "need" any of them. FL10 was the nexus between classic.....and whatever this new thing will be.

Just because something new comes out, especially a new piece of software, doesn't mean it's a new standard. FL11 pissed me the fuck off with tempo limitations.

Advertisements

jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote