Moog Minitaur vs. Doepfer Dark Energy II
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
CutOffCutOff
CutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2454
Moog Minitaur vs. Doepfer Dark Energy II

I'm thinking of getting one of these synths but can't really make up my mind. I tried them both yesterday for about 45 mins but I think it really makes a difference if you work with both machines for a while.
I don't plan to buy more modular stuff so all the connectivity of the DE is rather irrelevant for me, I just want solid sound and a bit versatility. The DE appeared to be better in the latter respect but I feel like the Moog sounds better. On Moog's SC there are also some amazing demos.
At the moment I'm making a bit off-centre house (think of labels such as Hypercolour, Hot Flush or Catz n Dogz) so no very crazy experimental stuff.
Can anyone help me with his experience?

Advertisements

------------------
CutOffCutOff is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
redblackwhite
Radial Developer
redblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improve
MC Status: -100230
Re: Moog Minitaur vs. Doepfer Dark Energy II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutOffCutOff View Post
I'm thinking of getting one of these synths but can't really make up my mind. I tried them both yesterday for about 45 mins but I think it really makes a difference if you work with both machines for a while.
I don't plan to buy more modular stuff so all the connectivity of the DE is rather irrelevant for me, I just want solid sound and a bit versatility. The DE appeared to be better in the latter respect but I feel like the Moog sounds better. On Moog's SC there are also some amazing demos.
At the moment I'm making a bit off-centre house (think of labels such as Hypercolour, Hot Flush or Catz n Dogz) so no very crazy experimental stuff.
Can anyone help me with his experience?
I can't really comment on DE (I've never used one) but I've owned a moog for a few years now and I can't say enough great things about it. I was in a similar boat to you, and it wasn't so much the flexibility, but the sound. I would suggest saving up a little more to get a slim phatty (i own a regular phatty), because the sounds it makes are just . But you won't go wrong with the tarus, you just won't have all the waveforms. That being said, I hardly ever use anything other than saw on mine.

Here's a shameless little plug for a song I started making earlier tonight... just listen to that moog sing :]

------------------
redblackwhite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
CutOffCutOff
CutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond reputeCutOffCutOff has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2454

thanks for your reply, that moog in your track sounds in fact really lush. do you feel like you can use the moog without processing the sounds a lot (apart from sound design purposes of course)?

------------------
CutOffCutOff is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
redblackwhite
Radial Developer
redblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improve
MC Status: -100230

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutOffCutOff View Post
thanks for your reply, that moog in your track sounds in fact really lush. do you feel like you can use the moog without processing the sounds a lot (apart from sound design purposes of course)?
That's a good question.
For what I like to make, I usually don't do any real processing. I throw around a lot of compressors, eqing, stereo, chorus, but I always want to keep the original tone in tact. I do add distortion mainly via another compressor.

So ultimately I'd say no you don't need to do much if any processing effects. For my styles (usually house based music, fidget/electro, heavy electro, 'techno', and nu-disco) it suits things like a glove. And on that track I think I had maybe 3 or 4 effects on both of the bass channels. But if you are interested in making things like big nasty dubstep basses, you'll need to work a little harder. You will need to probably layer more, and for certain sounds do a lot of processing.
The monophonic deal has it's limitations, as well as 2osc has it's limitations. If you have a decent sampler in your DAW (I see you have ableton, I think you'll be set) you can create some truely wicked polyphonic sample based instruments. I think if this is your first instrument, you'll adapt to monophonic just fine.
I don't feel limited by it at all, and it's my only synth (along side a couple of simple vst patches). I would recommend choosing whatever sounds best to you. Tone and personality is not something processing can easily create. The rest can always be made up for with processing. Hopefully that helps.

------------------
redblackwhite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
sticker14
MUDERATOR
sticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MC
Cleveland
MC Status: 1197574

Fuck Bob Moog, support your fellow countrymen. Get the Dark Energy

------------------
Mint Clad - Live @ Night of the Rats
sticker14 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421871479
Thanked 4,870 Times in 2,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblackwhite View Post
For what I like to make, I usually don't do any real processing. I throw around a lot of compressors, eqing, stereo, chorus, but I always want to keep the original tone in tact.
Hey now, I thought you said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblackwhite View Post
Sound design separates the men from the boys.

Advertisements

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote