Ambient Music suggestions - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #41
Ook
Sample Destroyer
Ook has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant futureOok has a brilliant future
Dee O.C. Cali <3
MC Status: 1993
Re: Ambient Music suggestions

oOOoo... which reminds me. I mentioned this album on the Brian Eno thread but here we goooo.

Earth 2 by Earth

Advertisements

Ook is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #42
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

This post serves two purposes.

1. To promote a cool blog

and

2. To self-promote

The Ambient Music Blog recently posted a very brief, but positive, blurb about Carl Sagan's Ghost.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Their podcast is cool as well.

I've discovered some neat things on the blog, and I think you all will to, which is why I am posting this in the suggestions thread.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #43
radule
Learning The Ropes
radule is currently spamming hard
Seattle,Wa
MC Status: 26

Helios
Deaf Center
Julien Neto
Xela
Pan American

radule is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #44
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Another dual purpose post:

An Internet radio station focusing on ambient/downtempo, and they just added the CSG's albums to their rotation.

Looks like there is a ton of stuff on there - can't wait to hear some of it.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #45
abasio
abasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant future
Fujisawa
MC Status: 1863

A while ago I wrote a post with Ambient & Downbeat recommendations

here is the ambient side with it's follow up

I also recently got into a label called [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Whci is a really experimental ambient label, I didn't get into the music at first but after some relaxed times I fell in love with it!

After being recommended I went out and bought collection [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. At first I was a little disappointed. I put them on & started doing something else & I didn't really listen to them & they came across as boring! How stupid I was, the next few weeks I didn't listen again but I thought I would give it another try as all my best music didn't sound brilliant straight away, or did but got even better! Listening to them through headphones with no distractions was an utter joy! Really really good stuff on all 3 CDs. Very deep trippy odd chillout!

On the back of this new discovery I wanted more so I ordered [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is pretty good but really needs the right mood to enjoy, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
a live radio concert which great relaxed atmospheres & [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
more solid stuff!

My obsession was underway

Noticing they have some Japanese artists (or at least based in Japan) on their books I ordered [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
some weird minimalist techno ambient weirdo! That was top & has stayed high on my pile of messed up CDs! Today in the post I recieved [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
an much more upbeat dubby style of album & really really good! I think Mutagene is Canadian living in Japan (based on the blurb inside the cover).

I also received [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
because I like the Name & title more than anything else it wasn't wasn't I expected but still good good good.

sums up the weirdness of the label. Not for everyone.

I really liked [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The Circular Ruins - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
& [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Recently I have been enjoying [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which are both very nice ambient journeys the latter being released on the sublabel Practising Nature.

Of course there is the real ambient. Natural & spacey goodness (also check some databloem albums for real space ambient, collection 1 : opening, being the best)
You must know [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
right? His album [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
on Dakini Records (2CD and 1CD on Interchill) which is very nice natural ambient as is his virtual album [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
under the alias Elve. His other virtual album [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
under the alias Ishvara is just as good but moodier and spacier! Matt Hillier (Ishq) also did an album with Matt Coldrick of Green Nuns fame called [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is not completely beatless but has the same natural feel and is beatless for long periods.

is a label with many fantastic releases on it but unfortunately the output of the label is incredibly high & they do not manage to keep up the quality with every release. My favourites, from what I've heard are [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, Pete Namlook, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Finally,I have recently gotten into dark ambient, but if you don't like the really beatless stuff I fear you may not like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
or [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
but for more beaty dark ambient try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
abasio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #46
abasio
abasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant futureabasio has a brilliant future
Fujisawa

Some of my recent ambient recommendations of albums I have discovered since last time

After listening to Elemental Journey I had to get all other releases on Absolute Ambient & I am glad I did, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is a fantastic ambient album while [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
blend ambient with warm summer beats.

Aleph Zero surprised me with [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is a great moody piece of cool ambient with nice slick beats.

Celestial Dragon have been on a roll with [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is basically early ishq stuff, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is some great slow trance in kind of an ultimae style but with a uniqueness all of its own. Just recently they released [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is sounding like a very nice comp

was the first in a five part series which will include all the elements & it's a great start. The unknown names do just as well if not better than the big names on this one.

With the dark side I discovered [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, his 5 albums [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
are all very different but could all be movie soundtracks to the darkest trippiest movies.

a nice old school ambient release, very warm & spacey.

a fantastically spacey journey from a japanese ambient master Tetsu Inoue also [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
with Pete Namlook has a great sci fi feel to it.

was a great melancholic follow up to Electronic Relaxation (see above post)

filled my ethnic quota for 2008. Just the right balance, not cheesy but very real.

Native State have only a few releases but damn there are some good ones [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and the comp [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
have all had a lot of play time over here.

Gus till came out with a sublime beatless album [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is so warm like a summer rain.

I have been rediscovering [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is a nice 40+ minute track of dark, weirdo ambient.

Thinking of long ambient tracks I finally got [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
a 60 minute dark ambient weirdo track.

Somnia (Native State Sub label) have been busy & I really loved Evan Bartholomew - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
all very nice psychedelic ambient.

Some old stuff is always nice [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
makes me want to discover more.

Ultimae have been busy & have had some storming releases [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
to name the best

and they have re-released [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which I didn't have before. Now only Aftermath remains

Finally my love affair with [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
continues and most of what I hear from these labels is magic. I want more & more & more. Even on their sub labels they have great stuff like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which has some of the nicest ambient I have ever heard.

Check out my mix of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #47
bassling
Soundwave Mangler
bassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MC
Wagga Wagga
MC Status: 4416964

This list looks promising:

------------------
More remixes at the Bassling blog
bassling is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #48
abasio
Fujisawa

I hope there is something of worth in it then
Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #49
bleak
Learning The Ropes
bleak is currently spamming hard
Mumbai
MC Status: 10

Well, if you guys are looking for dark ambient/noise/drone.
then I had released a split with my friend's project.

you can find it here.

myspace.com/bleakemptiness
bleak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #50
Railman
Railman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MC
Between polar bears
MC Status: 695625

No one suggested the album of Benn Jordan? (The Flashbulb) "Pale Blue Dot"

One of the best ambient albums around there...

Another good suggestion is Gridlock "Formless" although it's ambient mixed with breakcore beats.
Same story about Proem.

Amon Tobin is more soundscapeish and different then ambient but also worth checking, because he did some nice ambient tracks.

Oh yes, almost forgot! Very strongly recommended; Max de Wardener "Where I am today"
his subtleness reminded me a lot of Murcof. but it's lighter and less spooky then his work, but still very "misty."

------------------
Railman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #51
Tarmskrap
Granular Poster
Tarmskrap has a spectacular aura aboutTarmskrap has a spectacular aura aboutTarmskrap has a spectacular aura about
In the woods!
MC Status: 242

Bioshpere
Carbon Based Lifeforms (the World of Sleepers album is awesome!)
Cliff Martinez (Solaris Sountrack is one of my favorites atm)
H.U.V.A. Networks
Hammock (Not ambient as in traditional ambient, more like shoegaze, but the album The Sleep-Over Series - Volume 1 is pure ambient and highly recommended, it's a need to have I tell you!)
Matthew Robert Cooper
Solar Fields

Peace

------------------
Tarmskrap is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #52
bleak
Learning The Ropes
bleak is currently spamming hard
Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmskrap View Post
Bioshpere
Carbon Based Lifeforms (the World of Sleepers album is awesome!)
Cliff Martinez (Solaris Sountrack is one of my favorites atm)
H.U.V.A. Networks
Hammock (Not ambient as in traditional ambient, more like shoegaze, but the album The Sleep-Over Series - Volume 1 is pure ambient and highly recommended, it's a need to have I tell you!)
Matthew Robert Cooper
Solar Fields

Peace

I checked Carbon Based Lifeforms and Hammock from this. Both are nice.
Hammock is excellent though. I love all their albums.
Its true their stuff is not traditional ambient.
also, Stars Of The Lid is in the same league. more on classical side. but stars of the lid are a lot older band.

Lots of post-rock bands are putting ambient influences as well. Hammock can be the best example.
and do check July Skies. they have some great ambiance in their music.
bleak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Ashram
Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #53
m3t4
Regular Freak
m3t4 is currently spamming hard

Ultimae is definitely my fav so far ! Hey did you know Solar fields made the soundtrack of the mirror's edge video game ?! Awesome ambiance for an awesome game !

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasio View Post
Wow sounds really interesting, I don't know these imprints... on the load !
m3t4 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #54
Tarmskrap
Granular Poster
Tarmskrap has a spectacular aura aboutTarmskrap has a spectacular aura aboutTarmskrap has a spectacular aura about
In the woods!
MC Status: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak View Post
Lots of post-rock bands are putting ambient influences as well. Hammock can be the best example.
and do check July Skies. they have some great ambiance in their music.
July Skies, I have never heard of them. Thanks for the tip!
If you are in to post-rock you should check out Jesu, you have probably allredy heard them though.
And if you like Jazz with a more ambient/dark ambient fell you should check out Bohren & Der Club of Gore and The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble. (Bong-Ra is a member of kilimanjaro darkjazz if you are not familiar with them)

Thanks again for the recommendation!

------------------
Tarmskrap is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #55
Railman
Railman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MCRailman is a savage MC
Between polar bears
MC Status: 695625

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4 View Post
Ultimae is definitely my fav so far ! Hey did you know Solar fields made the soundtrack of the mirror's edge video game ?! Awesome ambiance for an awesome game !

Wow sounds really interesting, I don't know these imprints... on the load !
Hey just a question, you have a dutch dubstep friend (myrkur) right? I recognize the label in your signature I'm that neighbour of him just on the street ahead, you met me at radical I suppose.

@ bleak, Carbon Based Lifeforms, freaking nice!

------------------
Railman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #56
Wonko
Granular Poster
Wonko will become famous soon enough
Barcelona
MC Status: 86

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for the suggestions! Lots of new things to discover here.

We have recently released two artists that you might enjoy:

Ambienteer and SwayingSMoke.

You can find their releases, for free download, here:

ambienteer - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

SwayingSmoke - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Hope you enjoy them. Feedback always more than welcome.

Cheers!

------------------
Wonko is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #57
PHY6
Regular Freak
PHY6 is currently spamming hard
Amsterdam

More dubby ambient :

Abakus
Ott
Kuba
Pitch Black
PHY6 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #58
CCtrl
CCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MC
MC Status: 5154519

I cant stop listening to Tim Hecker and a group called T UM'
CCtrl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #59
Monstre
Ghostly
Monstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MC
Mad Lasers yo
MC Status: 629722

Growing is great. They use guitars and synth in a really wierd drony way
Monstre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #60
Phlrius
Granular Poster
Phlrius will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 67

Did someone already mention Matthias Grassow? I can also recommend Cyclic Law Records to anyone who likes dark ambient. Kammarheit is awesome.

Advertisements

Phlrius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote