building fan base
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
building fan base

Hey its seems hard to get off the ground with getting Soundcloud followers etc. I have started a new project and I'm struggling to raise awareness around it

any tips?

Advertisements

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8528830
Thanked 6,758 Times in 4,815 Posts
Re: building fan base

While I realize there are people who have made careers doing everything from their home studio I still feel like getting out and interacting with real people is the quickest way to get your music in the hands of actual listeners. That was the best success I ever had. Even though I wasn't really making dance music at the time, the most head way I ever got as far as a real, quantifiable fan base was by going out and chatting people up at the local monthly. I probably could have played for it as well, I usually came early/stayed late to setup.

I don't know if handing out business cards with a link or CDRs with detailed info about online presence are a viable platform anymore, but I tried both. Being all online is rough, there is a lot of average music out there that is totally listenable. Especially in the dance music game.

It seems to me that all the most succesful people I know of this forum got involved with "the industry" in person in some way. Strictly online seems like a bit of a circle jerk to me, but I'm kind of a Luddite. I think a good way to do things is to join online communities and build as close to a IRL relationship as you can with people. About half the music I listen to is from online friends.

I've also totally bailed on any attempt to do much but share my music with a few friends in the last 3-4 years so maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
theycallmegav (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

yea it seems like thats the way to do it, going out and meeting people. with work and other things it can be hard to find the time etc lol.

are you making dance music now? do you mean online communities such as these forums, or do you have any others in mind

thanks

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:15 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmegav View Post
yea it seems like thats the way to do it, going out and meeting people. with work and other things it can be hard to find the time etc lol.

are you making dance music now? do you mean online communities such as these forums, or do you have any others in mind

thanks
I completely understand. I have a lot of pots on the stove as far as keeping the bills paid and I have a pretty close relationship with family and friends who are mostly not interested in my music (which is fine). I do a little bit of everything music wise all within the realm of synths and drum machines though. I'd say primarily what I make isn't dance music. But I try to squeeze out a dance track every now and again.

Online communities yea...but if you can find a local synth meet up or something, that would be even better. I briefly considered trying to get one started myself. I actually met a couple guys locally who are members of We Are The Music Makers forum. They were alright guys, much younger than me. We kinda sorta made plans to have a jam session, but it never really panned out.

You'd be surprised, the entry level into electronic music is so cheap (free if you already own a computer), there are lots of people into it these days. I actually have met more than a handful of people from my area on this forum and others. Though that has all mostly materialized into nothing.

Also as a side note, a lot of them seem really introverted to me. I've done everything to encourage them to get involved locally. I've offered free rides, taking care of cover charges etc and the only people I got out of the house so far are the two fellas I mentioned earlier. They missed out. After a few beers I'm always buying people drinks and taking them out to my car for a puff lol
Old 07-02-2017, 02:54 AM   #5
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19260

putting out music, playing live shows and meeting people and leaving a good and lasting impression are the best things you can do, especially around people who are already involved in the music scene and are doing things
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to stray medicine
FairyLand INC. (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 AM   #6
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 34060

The internet is saturated, because every introverted fuck ever is here. IRL is a great place to start; soundcloud (and IDMF) is mainly good for honest critique, IMO. That's all you're going to get out of it, and maybe a few bucks.

Actually, there are a lot of niches that kind of invent their own weird brand on the internet, so there's that. Otherwise it's tough to stick out in somebody's mind who's been mindlessly surfing for music to listen to for hours on end.

Last edited by Vault O))); 07-02-2017 at 04:42 AM..

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:38 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I think its also good to temper your expectations and learn to enjoy making music for the process--I don't mean to be discouraging, I just think it helps us deal when we don't always get the recognition or encouragement we want online. So many people seem to be in it for likes/listens.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

start a sect\cult

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D42K732202
Taaz (09-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray medicine View Post
putting out music, playing live shows and meeting people and leaving a good and lasting impression are the best things you can do, especially around people who are already involved in the music scene and are doing things
This basically..... having built fanbases for other people, the only way youll have a chance on getting on blogs and stuff is by putting out music and PRing it (be that by yourself or via a company)

all the viral stuff and the organic stuff comes on the back of that tbh.... its good to have a group of cheerleader on social media (often that comes from your local scene/group of friends)

you can do it organically without releases, but it takes tiiiiiiiiiiime, effort and a lot of free music!

Advertisements

------------------
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote