How to get breakbeat/djent/other metal percussion midi patterns?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8348
How to get breakbeat/djent/other metal percussion midi patterns?

I don't know much about drums. I mean, I know what they are, I can make blast and polka Beats, but as much ear training as I've had in the past, I have difficulty getting those skipping Sorta rhythms that would work well for parts of songs that aren't head-on.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This song, especially the breakdown when the guitar is doing dive bombs in between tapping, interest me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 14910
Re: How to get breakbeat/djent/other metal percussion midi patterns?

velocity on the double kicks and snares also swing and humanizing helps
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute

Yea I was wondering more like if it were 16th triplets or 16ths or if it was some other weird spaced out subdivision.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:08 AM   #4
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Just to update this.....16th triplets. Those are key.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42341799
Thanked 4,156 Times in 2,714 Posts

That gives you a particular swing that is only useful in certain situations and for particular types of music.

A good method is groove quantize to 32nds. It gives just enough variation without ruining the beat. Even if you're working in triplets, it can be enough by itself.

When groove-quantizing, its usually a good idea not to change the velocity on the bass drum, though thats not written in stone. Sometimes its what you need for a particular goal.

Lastly, don't groove quantize the first and last beat of a bar, or if you're doing a multi-bar pattern, the first and last beat of that multi-bar pattern. You can get away with almost anything so long as the first and last beat are in time.

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
Chozo Tull
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14760

When talking about djent really jumble those time sigs

7/8, 15/16, 25/16 (7+7+7+4) ... That's also how you land on counterintuitive spots

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
ab
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079414
Thanked 1,215 Times in 818 Posts

maybe extract some audio, slice-to-midi and check out the patterns. my brain works visually (predominantly), so i find it much easier to visualize it on a midi roll. i am a bad drummer which doesnt help, so this is a neat workaround for me

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
maybe extract some audio, slice-to-midi and check out the patterns. my brain works visually (predominantly), so i find it much easier to visualize it on a midi roll. i am a bad drummer which doesnt help, so this is a neat workaround for me
I usually just stretch the sound until I get it now. The thing about metal (and Danza recordings in particular) is everything is tuned to be so loud and complex you can't get software to isolate parts (maybe just an FL issue). But the kicks in most material I think are either excellently mic'd or triggered, so I can get that.

As far as rhythm, I notice the rhythm really gets pushed to the crash type cymbals, the kick and snare kind of have a mind of their own in breakdowns because they're composed for attack.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
That gives you a particular swing that is only useful in certain situations and for particular types of music.

A good method is groove quantize to 32nds. It gives just enough variation without ruining the beat. Even if you're working in triplets, it can be enough by itself.

When groove-quantizing, its usually a good idea not to change the velocity on the bass drum, though thats not written in stone. Sometimes its what you need for a particular goal.

Lastly, don't groove quantize the first and last beat of a bar, or if you're doing a multi-bar pattern, the first and last beat of that multi-bar pattern. You can get away with almost anything so long as the first and last beat are in time.
This is true, especially when I'm trying to dissect a breakdown a band used, not an actual song.

32nds I haven't messed around with a whole lot cuz I kinda get the feeling I'm breaking flow of music/creating that "extratone" aesthetic, which would be cool if I'm trying to make noise but I've really been trying to get in the habit of having consistent ideas.

But I do know what you mean, you can create head-on beats with the 32nds. When I was trying to get some of my mojo back, this guy's video helped tremendously
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The thing about djent is no matter what time sig you're really working with, you have to realize that a great deal of what you'll be hearing and accommodating will be that guitar double/triple picking gallop, taken out of context. So the triplet naturally ends up dominating what you do, which makes the video I just mentioned sorta old-fashioned (at least to the 80s/90s lol).

It's kind of funny because I'd typically just machine gun the drums like a moron rather than take the time to think about it. But that original track and a few others by the same artist were pissing me off for a few years.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15110

iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
⤴ ⤵ ⤶ ⤷ ⤸ ⤹ ⤺ ⤻
MC Status: 15960

repeat samples a lot, like, as long as it sounds right, keep repeating drums until you get what you want.

------------------
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #12
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Thanks a lot! really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
repeat samples a lot, like, as long as it sounds right, keep repeating drums until you get what you want.
lol after a while everything "sounds right".....getting in sync with real instruments is proving to be a real pain in the ass tho.

Advertisements