new styles? new ways to do things?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 04-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 17660
new styles? new ways to do things?

so, I have been thinking, I don't want to make the same lame ass beats that every producer makes anymore, I want to find a new way to produce, a new way to make my sounds... I want to make music in a different way, I don't have any ideas on how to. this seems pretty cool [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
but i'm worried that people would view my music as just a copy, I have no idea what to do...

Advertisements

------------------
mute machine is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Narukami Music
Soundscaper
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8260
Re: new styles? new ways to do things?

That was a pretty cool video! I say start small. Start by using a new synth plugin, a new FX VST, a new way of working on your DAW. Hell, maybe you can work on another DAW! Listen to new genres and hear the little techniques that is often heard within that genre. You could also read about your favourite musicians/producers and see the little mistakes or experiments that they did in the studio that became something great.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about being seen as a "copy". Of course, there is such thing a plagiarism but you should be able to look at someone else's work and incorporate the things you like into your own ideas. It's part of being creative. As an example, Star Wars is one of the most iconic and unique franchises ever but you can find countless videos online dissecting the films and analyzing how George Lucas took elements that he liked from other movies and used them in Star Wars.
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387298
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
this seems pretty cool [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
but i'm worried that people would view my music as just a copy, I have no idea what to do...
Recording your own samples, and creating your own music with them, will be the most original thing you can do! Creating/recording your own sound is also very rewarding, educational and fun. Do it!
Would you rather make EDM with Vengeance samples only?

When I studied sound design at university last year we had one assignment where we would create music from our own (recorded) samples only. Just like that video above with the kid, I recorded all my sounds in my kids room (toys=percussions, plastic bin=kick, glockenspiel, toy tambourine, etc), as well as my daughter (voice), to make this little track:

I eventually bought a Tascam DR100 MK2 and have also made DIY binaural mics (out of Primo EM172 stereo-pair condensers. I bought cheap contact/piezo mics and even cheap coil mics (for picking up electro-magnetic interference from pretty much any electric device...fun!). Ebay is good.

I'm using the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is a monster for manipulating samples. Also look into granulizing your sounds with granular synths.
Good luck!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
mute machine (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Recording your own samples, and creating your own music with them, will be the most original thing you can do! Creating/recording your own sound is also very rewarding, educational and fun. Do it!
Would you rather make EDM with Vengeance samples only?

When I studied sound design at university last year we had one assignment where we would create music from our own (recorded) samples only. Just like that video above with the kid, I recorded all my sounds in my kids room (toys=percussions, plastic bin=kick, glockenspiel, toy tambourine, etc), as well as my daughter (voice), to make this little track:

I eventually bought a Tascam DR100 MK2 and have also made DIY binaural mics (out of Primo EM172 stereo-pair condensers. I bought cheap contact/piezo mics and even cheap coil mics (for picking up electro-magnetic interference from pretty much any electric device...fun!). Ebay is good.

I'm using the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which is a monster for manipulating samples. Also look into granulizing your sounds with granular synths.
Good luck!
that beat is really cool, I love the fading synth that comes in after the drum loop starts

------------------
Old 04-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Quote:
that beat is really cool, I love the fading synth that comes in after the drum loop starts
Thanks!
That "synth" is a single cycle waveform taken from me striking a plastic can. I stacked it, unisoned it and side-chain compressed it to the kick a bit.

Last edited by Evelon; 04-15-2016 at 04:02 PM..

------------------
Old 04-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Thanks!
That "synth" is a single cycle waveform taken from me striking a plastic can. I stacked it, unisoned it and side-chain compressed it to the kick a bit.
how do I stack sounds? I want to make a sound like this...

------------------
Old 04-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
Evelon

Quote:
how do I stack sounds? I want to make a sound like this...
In Vember Shortcircuit2 there are 8 layers for each sample slot, so you can trigger 8 samples at the same time (with one note). Same thing as if you would have a synth with 8 oscillators. If you load a sample in layer 1 and loop it, then set the loop start and loop end so close to each other that the loop becomes a single cycle (like a wavetable synth like serum, massive, surge, etc). When you have a "tonal" short loop in layer1 you can copy/paste it to layer 2, and then start to pitch/detune it (to make a unisoned sound, much like a supersaw). Then copy/paste layer 2 to layer 3 and detune it again, etc etc (repeat).
Now play/program some chords or melodies. Voilá!

------------------
Old 04-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38697

Thanks for letting me know about this artist!

Own style and sound comes from limitations for me. I like to build weird electronic instruments and play them.

oh yeah, recording any sounds and working with the rhythm and harmonies they have is already great, so that's good enough I think.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1524777
Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,128 Posts

in regards to your video, just because you use similar techniques doesn't mean you are copying.

making music from all original sound design from field recordings is hardly unique to this one artist.

have at it and have fun doing so.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #10
YoSoyPincho
Analog Lurker
YoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud of
Medellin
MC Status: 1010

Wow that is a really cool clip right there. But from this, i will conclude one thing. It is all sampling based techniques and for me, sampling will always be the best way to obtain different things (original content if you prefer), and as @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
mentions, the fact that you are applying these techniques to your creative process don't mean you are copying. Just because you pick up a guitar to make a melody doesn't mean you are copying all of the people that has done the same.

Stretching, looping, chopping, modulating its amplitude or frequency, whatever you want, there's tons of things you can do to end up creating almost an unrecognizable sound from the piece you originally took from the start.

It's like recycled material, you can obtain impressive stuff out of simple elements.

Sampling is beautiful i tell you.
YoSoyPincho is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210

Try turning off the grid in your daw so things aren't so 4/4 and stale. Try slowing the tempo down below 100. Try resynthesising drums. Try manipulating the pitch of drums. Try having no percussion at all. Try turning random samples into percussion Try turning sounds into something completely different from what they origionally were and putting them into a rhythm. Try FM synth.

Anything is possible in DAW's.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
AdamThing
Regular Freak
AdamThing will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

when it comes to composition im a huge novice for melody. im more of a drummer so i start my songs with beats and i use a ton of samples. ALOT. then i will build leads and basslines off of that. i wish i was a true Beethoven.
AdamThing is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497730
Thanked 6,136 Times in 4,407 Posts

I don't know what is out their in VST land, but I really dig the probability locks on the Elektron Analog 4. Basically each note in a sequence has only 1-99% probability of triggering each time the sequence is run. This can make for some very interesting sequences that never repeat exactly. It isn't quite random, which I like.

iOS also has some interesting sequencers on it.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #14
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I don't know what is out their in VST land, but I really dig the probability locks on the Elektron Analog 4. Basically each note in a sequence has only 1-99% probability of triggering each time the sequence is run. This can make for some very interesting sequences that never repeat exactly. It isn't quite random, which I like.

iOS also has some interesting sequencers on it.
I don't really like vsts that much, I use massive sometimes, SOMETIMES, but most of the time I sample hardware synths at guitar center and drums out in my city and then some random stuff...

Advertisements

------------------

new styles? new ways to do things? Tags
bass, electric, shrooms, synth