live or written?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360
live or written?

Is it better to play your music live or written in midi files and not by you? I have done my music live for a long time and it seems more fun than writing it all down...

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:06 AM   #2
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts
Re: live or written?

I guess it just comes down to however you feel comfortable playing. The way I have my live setup looking now, I'm mostly triggering pre-sequenced loops from grooveboxes, because on stage I mostly play guitar.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060

If by better you mean faster, then yes continue to play live.
I program 95% of my stuff because I don't play well, but it takes me a long time to get some of the finer nuances right and it would be so much faster if I could just play it into midi.

That said, the grass is always greener on the other side, give it a try. There's different stuff you can do with sequencing that might not occur to you playing live. For me, when I got my hands a keyboard, I had like 3 new song ideas in an hour just because the workflow is so different.

EDIT: I may have misread the OP, if you're referring to performances, then I've never even done that. I was talking songwriting.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:25 AM   #4
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
Is it better to play your music live or written in midi files and not by you? I have done my music live for a long time and it seems more fun than writing it all down...
I cam only speak from my own experience. I have found that in the realm of MIDI/Computer based arrangement/composition goes, Piano roll is a wonderful tool to posses and I encourage you to fuck around with it. I believe that you will find that you can arrange some nice melodies that are not out the realm of even playing a long with them via synth/guitar or whatever. Interesting shits to unfold and discover.

As for live, I've yet to have the honor of doing something that I am granted the opportunity to set up equipment but I imagine that what I will do is not play anything (or a very minimal amount of a multi track/sample used before) that I have produced and released before. Ideally I would live show with more hardware than software, but incorporate them both so it kind of makes sense. Now I say this through my own lack of formal training of verse, chorus, verse ect...Of course I've been to live shows where bands play their all time favorite hits and I've been to raves where peoples be spinning other peoples stuff as well as their own. Both scenarios are very effective when it comes to expressing an energy that captures the mood of said audience, But for me, I would rather do a live show on an almost experimental (not chaotic) performance that makes no two live shows exactly alike.

I'm not aiming to derail or go into a spiel about composition and/or performance methods, If I have read your question correctly, You simply do not want to write your music down. I cannot blame you, In my world that would have to be the most time consuming act of redundant and tedious effort that could be going into composing. The way I see it, Spending an hour piano rolling an arrangement beats the shit out of writing a sheet of half/quarter notes or whatever the fuck it would take to put your music on paper.

Again, This is just my take on it. I would suggest to absolutely perform live, Rip the fuck out of some melodies, leads, and riffs that tickle your pickle. But also, pencil in some MIDI patterns when you are in front of the computer. Because its what your DAW needs you to do. If you compose your own music you should piano roll some noizes.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 AM   #5
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
EDIT: I may have misread the OP, if you're referring to performances, then I've never even done that. I was talking songwriting.
I think I did, too...

Advertisements

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote