Vocal Key and Key of track
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
macaulley
Learning The Ropes
macaulley is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Vocal Key and Key of track

Hey everyone, i just have a few questions that i can not find answers to. They may be simple but for the life of me i am stumped.

So i have a vocal called "walk with me" in the key of Emaj

I went to beatport just to see what the key was of the original songs itself.

On beatport it is in Dmaj, and another remix is in Bmin, and i know those are relative keys.

What I'm asking is; Should i have my kick drum/bass on E, and base everything around Emaj? (melody etc)

Any insight would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

macaulley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
deebau
Learning The Ropes
deebau is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Vocal Key and Key of track

It depends on where this vocal will stand in your song,however you can create harmonics by using other keys like d/d# - a/a# or b/b# for b# for bass best would be a/a# for this type of vocal.
In your situation i would build everything around e# without knowing much about it its best way to go.
can you send me song if/when its done? ass best would be a/a# for this type of vocal.
In your situation i would build everything around e# without knowing much about it its best way to go.
can you send me song if/when its do?
deebau is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #3
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262785979
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,769 Posts

How do you know the vocal is in EMajor? Did a program auto detect it? Because those tend to suck.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
Jaded (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18710

little tip and ive mentioned this before is to hum it using your match on on your key edit match the humming of your voice to the note on your key edit.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6902409
Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
How do you know the vocal is in EMajor? Did a program auto detect it? Because those tend to suck.
^ So much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaulley View Post
What I'm asking is; Should i have my kick drum/bass on E, and base everything around Emaj? (melody etc)

Any insight would be very appreciated.

Thanks
At the end of the day, I can't really tell you because I can't hear what anything sounds like. Really, the only person that can tell you is you. Listen with your ears. Play some keys in the E/D/whatever keys the key matching software has identified and listen to which ones work.

Ultimately, if you're just working with a single vocal or instrument, you might find that it could fit into a number of different keys. Half of the fun is finding the right one for you
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:25 AM   #6
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of lightKyrpto is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
You can just try to play along with an instrument to figure out the key. Of course this depends on how well you can play your instrument and how well your ear training is.
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #7
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 8160

also try using the relative minor or relative major (if it's a minor key) so the relative minor is one and a half steps down. so Emaj (decensing in half steps) Eb, D, C#. C# is your relative minor.

If you want the relative major, go up. So in Aminor, your relative Major is C

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote