List of chords by emotion plx
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 20-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
XanderBlake
Radial Developer
XanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510
List of chords by emotion plx

So I happen to be one of the lucky few who experience synesthesia, and thus have always wanted to do this. I'm gonna go ahead and just assume the forum knows loads of different chords/progressions, and I'd love to see them listen in terms of what emotion they evoke.

Advertisements

------------------
"The best music, is music that mutates." -Xander Blake

https://www.youtube.com/user/xanderblake667
https://www.facebook.com/shadow1992
XanderBlake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541030
Thanked 7,002 Times in 4,976 Posts
Re: List of chords by emotion plx

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This is a fun online/mobile app for that. I googled around a bit for a chart, but couldn't find one. I know they are out there.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
XanderBlake (20-03-2016)
Old 20-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

are you suggesting we post some chord progressions and you tell us what "emotion" you associate them with through the power of synesthesia ?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
XanderBlake
Radial Developer
XanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
are you suggesting we post some chord progressions and you tell us what "emotion" you associate them with through the power of synesthesia ?
No actually I was hoping that maybe others associated chords and progressions with emotional states as opposed to letters, and that maybe they'd be willing to share.

A simple example that most of us here would agree with is that a minor can sound sad, and a major can sound happy. But what I'm really after the most are the odd ones out, the chords that I never use and possibly progressions I've never thought of.

------------------

Old 20-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
XanderBlake
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

This is a fun online/mobile app for that. I googled around a bit for a chart, but couldn't find one. I know they are out there.
This is awesome, totally bookmarking this!

------------------

Old 20-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

Eb minor= horny

G maj#11= horny/annoyed

B minor = angry/horny

E major = tired/mildly arroused

F major = stupid/promiscuous

F# major = evokes the desire to be anally probed by aliens

D lydian dominant = confused/horny

Bb min7 b5 = anxious/horny

C major = relieved/slightly horny

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
XanderBlake
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Eb minor= horny

G maj#11= horny/annoyed

B minor = angry/horny

E major = tired/mildly arroused

F major = stupid/promiscuous

F# major = evokes the desire to be anally probed by aliens

D lydian dominant = confused/horny

Bb min7 b5 = anxious/horny

C major = relieved/slightly horny
You sir deserve a cookie for this

------------------

Thanks to XanderBlake
mnkvolcno (20-03-2016)
Old 20-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183910
Thanked 3,678 Times in 2,740 Posts

I really don't think it's as simple as that. Sure, there are root chords we all know, even if we're not aware we know them..like the ones they use to build tension in a movie, using certain chords and instruments in conjunction with each other, in order to give you that aural "feel" the scene is showing you visually.

But once you move beyond that, I think it all becomes too subjective in nature to be able to come up with any sort of definitive list of notes or chords that are going to elicit a certain emotional response in a listener..I think we're just too complex for that to work definitively.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
mnkvolcno (20-03-2016)
Old 20-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
XanderBlake
Radial Developer

I see what you're saying but, I'm not looking for such a wide scope. Here's another example: There's a chord that plays in the first Tomb Raider when you find a hidden thing, and the chord feels like "mystery" or "the unknown". Another example is the violin crescendo from the origional Halo theme. All it is, is two arped chords (pretty much) and yet it feels "adventerous" even on its own.

Edit:
Here's the bit of the halo theme I mean

------------------

Old 20-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

The sense is strong of a /thread, after nmkvolcno's post.

I also have mild synestesia, and everything is relative. But I still don't fall for the funny list of chords (and the emotions associated with them) found in Christian Schubart's Ideen zu einer Aesthetik der Tonkunst (written in 1806).
Edit: Perhaps you just might want to look into coloring, tension and release, harmony and disharmony, inversions, etc in music theory.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (20-03-2016)
Old 20-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

EDIT: Sorry for typos, typed on my phone

heh.. i couldnt resist.

In truth it's because I don't really value this type of analysis/categorizing. The effects of a chord progression are too sophisticated and subtle to be pigeon holed on this way.

You might make analogy with color. If you were a painter, and you decided that you would view the colors red and green as evoking the feeling of Christmas, you would be severely limiting yourself. I think the same applies to chord progressions.

You can use the same chord progression from Britney Spears "hit me baby one more time" but depending on so many other factors, it could have a completely different effect. There are the issues of timbre, voicings, tempo, context, etc.

In my process, creating a chord progression is a much more nebulous thing. I start by just listening to what pops in my head, and I trust that this will be the chords that best describe my psychological state at that moment. If you want to get really heady about it.. It's really kind of a zen concept for me. Who we are and how we feel at any given moment is an infinitely subtle and nuanced thing, to try and reason out which chord progression suits how you feel at a given moment, based on the associations you told yourself you have with it, is a broken concept in my opinion. If we trust ourselves a bit more, something more accurate will pop out of our subconscious.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
A.M (20-03-2016)
Old 20-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
The consensus is strong of a /thread, after nmkvolcno's post.

I also have mild synestesia, and everything is relative. But I still don't fall for the funny list of chords (and the emotions associated with them) found in Christian Schubart's Ideen zu einer Aesthetik der Tonkunst (written in 1806).
Edit: Perhaps you just might want to look into coloring, tension and release, harmony and disharmony, inversions, etc in music theory.

Fix'd

------------------
Old 20-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #13
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Fix'd
Great!
My strong, Yoda is.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (20-03-2016)
Old 21-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
auregnas
Regular Freak
auregnas has a spectacular aura aboutauregnas has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I found the Ravenspiral music theory guide to be pretty awesome at that - each new chord structure that's introduced comes with a (really subjective) little blurb on what the "feeling" of the chord has.
auregnas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

impossible. There are so many combinations, a C chord can have almost infinite amount of contexts to be used in. An C chord on its own can have a certain emotion, but played after an am it has a totally different feeling, at least in my opinion. Let alone if you go crazy with invertions and suspension. A E has a certain feeling but C E has a totally different feeling even though the E chord stays the same and F# A# also has a totally different feeling even though it is the same interval as C E.
And that isn't even talking about the feeling of the track you use the progression in. A D E can have a very happy feeling in a happy setting, it can have a very boring feeling in a boring setting, it can have a very eery feeling when used in an eery setting. A good percentage of the top 1000 are based on the exact same chord progression, yet almost all of them have different emotions.
It is like asking what color corresponds with certain emotions. Does red make you feel angry or scared? What if it is the red of your wife's lips? What if it is a red piece of mold on your cucumbers?
It are not the individual chords that give emotions, it is the context in which they are used.

Last edited by Lepstok; 24-03-2016 at 05:57 PM..

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lepstok
A.M (25-03-2016)
Old 24-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
XanderBlake
Radial Developer

Just for everyone to know, I *did* say "chords/progressions"... I didn't make this thread for everyone to fight in and talk crap about what everyone says, I just wanted to talk about something cool. Clearly I understand that nuance makes a track what it is, but why do people have to nitpick? What's wrong with saying that a chord just by itself can sound happy, or sad? Also I was asking for what *you* feel like a chord/progression transmits, not for a definitive list. Idk tho seems like wherever I go everyone is fighting and calling each other out. I mean, isn't a musician just a sound scientist? And yet, some of you've spent this time learning nothing and instead choosing to try and tell everyone why Mr. X was wrong. :\

------------------

Old 24-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #17
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderBlake View Post
I mean, isn't a musician just a sound scientist?
if we accept this definition, then your research question is the most inane that's ever been asked.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
A.M (25-03-2016)
Old 24-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #18
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderBlake View Post
Just for everyone to know, I *did* say "chords/progressions"... I didn't make this thread for everyone to fight in and talk crap about what everyone says, I just wanted to talk about something cool. Clearly I understand that nuance makes a track what it is, but why do people have to nitpick? What's wrong with saying that a chord just by itself can sound happy, or sad? Also I was asking for what *you* feel like a chord/progression transmits, not for a definitive list. Idk tho seems like wherever I go everyone is fighting and calling each other out. I mean, isn't a musician just a sound scientist? And yet, some of you've spent this time learning nothing and instead choosing to try and tell everyone why Mr. X was wrong. :\
I don't see how it is nitpicking. People giving their honest opinions is not fighting or calling each other out.

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lepstok
A.M (25-03-2016)
Old 25-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #19
A.M

Can we go home now?

------------------
Old 25-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108050
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,388 Posts

This collection of bits from the cbc radio is pretty awesome. I've posted it before.

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote