experimentation.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-02-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 17760
experimentation.

so, I have been releasing some of my demo tracks on soundcloud lately and a lot of the time I feel like I haven't done anything that someone hasn't already, when I was trying so hard to do something different I was never satisfied with my work, I would delete most of my songs and start over so much no-one every heard my stuff... now most of it sounds like chillwave and I like chillwave but not many other people do anymore since everyone thinks it died out... any suggestions on how to fix this feeling?

Advertisements

mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Re: experimentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
so, I have been releasing some of my demo tracks on soundcloud lately and a lot of the time I feel like I haven't done anything that someone hasn't already, when I was trying so hard to do something different I was never satisfied with my work, I would delete most of my songs and start over so much no-one every heard my stuff... now most of it sounds like chillwave and I like chillwave but not many other people do anymore since everyone thinks it died out... any suggestions on how to fix this feeling?
If you like then what is the problem?

To develop a more original sound I think takes time. At first it will sound unpolished as you try and figure things out. once you understand the sound you wanna make and the importance of various techniques to get it you will grow in confidence and can be more creative around it and create better songs.

I think its a good idea to try make many different sounds so you later can mix the different influences, styles and techniques as you please.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6892909
Thanked 3,274 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote:
The reason you feel like you haven't done anything which hasn't already been done is because you haven't. You can't really fix that feeling because it's the truth, so you may as well deal with it.

And honestly, if you did something truly original, nobody would like it, because it wouldn't mean anything to them. You'd literally pique the interests of a few obscure people who also make music and then they'll start imitating your sound and releasing their own music and maybe even start a scene, and your original thing will be come a genre and everyone will be doing it and some guys on the other side of the world will be hailed as innovators for copying your style.

Seriously, you don't want to be the skinny white Italian guy in a 70s disco who clears the floor with his bleep bloop music. You want to be the fat black man in 1980's Detroit who gets a name like "Godfather of house" or "Purpose maker" or some shit because they copied some obscure Italian music from the 70's called techno.

Just make music and have fun. If you think your music sounds like some genre or the other. Then great, because that means you have a reference to tell if what you're doing is any good.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
brb
Libertard Demagogue
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The European Union (still)
MC Status: 69865819

I have no fucking idea what chillwave is. Genres are spawning and disappearing faster and faster these days.

As Jaded alluded to, there's nothing new under the sun and if there was you'd starve before making a living out of it. But what's old is new, production standards and values spin in and out of style.

Top tip for you though, make all your sounds yourself and you will sound a lot more unique. If you use the coverdisk/preset sounds like every other young pup, then that's how you'll sound. But if you get yourself a field recorder and go out recording sounds that mean something to you, well nobody else will sound quite like that (if only because they were holding their microphone at a different angle).

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279284
Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,710 Posts

yeah, just trying to do new shit off the bat will 99% of the time be very frustrating and even if you chance on something right it will be just as hard to again next time. the best way to get anywhere with that IMO is to listen and to listen and to conceptualise and to listen and to think and to think and to listen. usually if i do something 'different' enough to warrant being called different (in my mind) i will go away and think and listen and think and conceptualise (you get it) and often i can distill a blueprint from that one track from which i can build an EP or something

really though like brb said the best thing to do in order to feel better about shit is to realise that you already probably have your own sound. especially if you dont download new synths and effects pulgins all the time. just by doing all the small processes your way over and over coupled with your own personal taste AND the fact that you are good in some areas and not so in others - all your shit will sound a certain way

atm i kind of make all sorts of random dance music at different tempos with different rhythms but im pretty sure it sounds like i made it all

sooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
Crude_beats (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153360
Thanked 3,067 Times in 2,150 Posts

Experimental music is its own category for a reason; you can make something very original with synth-exploration and sound manipulation, yet the only people who are going to care are experimental listeners. You're not going to capture insiders' attention and turn them into outsiders with your infectious bleeps and bloops.

If you can't deal with casual ears turning your shit off or telling you you suck, it's just not for you. Do something else.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8498180
Thanked 6,145 Times in 4,414 Posts

I feel like "experimental" always means the music either crap so calling it "experimental" is an excuse for it to sound awful or be pointless noise OR its still awful and trying to make some kind of academic point that is actually more interesting on paper than to listen to.

Pop music has changed...NEVER...not really. It is basically fun music people can easily sing along to when they are having a good time, probably imbibing some kind of intoxicant. There are other kinds of music with a more niche audience of course. I'll credit @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for this idea.

But the great thing is, for most of us, and don't let anyone here on Intellegent (lol) Dance Music Forums try to trick you into believing otherwise, people are VERY open to hearing more well crafted easily accessible music. 90% of what gets made and posted about here is fairly accessible.

Honestly I'm very happy not breaking new ground just making "dumb" dance beats and synth sounds in my guest bedroom and rocking out to my own probably very average music with a beer in my hand and a smile on my face.

The big probably with music is "the global community" and the internet. Before the internet and the global community, being the best guitar player in town made you a celebrity. Now you have to rock your tits off harder than Jimi Hendrix to be "good".

Even back in my early "rave days" a couple dudes with Electribes and few guitar pedals and a mixer could be local techno celebrities. Now if you show up to the dance with that setup and even do a decent job nobody gives a flying poo. And honestly how can you blame them since we have unlimited access to everything from the absolute best to the absolute worst?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
brb
Libertard Demagogue
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

Local Techno Celebrities is a great name for a band.

------------------
Thanks to brb
lolirl (02-06-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

yeah but just like 'tedious debate expertise' theres just too many syllables

------------------
Old 02-03-2016, 01:38 AM   #10
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6892909
Thanked 3,274 Times in 1,989 Posts

Plus I reckon their techno would be too commercial. It would be Timo Maas circa 2003 all over again, minus the Buttrich.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #11
saneliv
Soundwave Mangler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
The reason you feel like you haven't done anything which hasn't already been done is because you haven't. You can't really fix that feeling because it's the truth, so you may as well deal with it.

And honestly, if you did something truly original, nobody would like it, because it wouldn't mean anything to them. You'd literally pique the interests of a few obscure people who also make music and then they'll start imitating your sound and releasing their own music and maybe even start a scene, and your original thing will be come a genre and everyone will be doing it and some guys on the other side of the world will be hailed as innovators for copying your style.

Seriously, you don't want to be the skinny white Italian guy in a 70s disco who clears the floor with his bleep bloop music. You want to be the fat black man in 1980's Detroit who gets a name like "Godfather of house" or "Purpose maker" or some shit because they copied some obscure Italian music from the 70's called techno.

Just make music and have fun. If you think your music sounds like some genre or the other. Then great, because that means you have a reference to tell if what you're doing is any good.
I think it's better to be the Italian guy tho as in he still gets the immortality without the hassle of mass fame.

------------------
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to saneliv
lolirl (02-06-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
saneliv
Soundwave Mangler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2510

Quote:
Screw it (like in Rap) put some wind/rain sound FX and call it vaporwave...
I mean, that's a little crudely putting it, but essentially...
People do go for that...

If you aren't satisfied with your original efforts, step outside of the edm/pop/ idm context altogether. Step outside the whole past 50 years post-Beatles post-WorldWars mass media context. Imagine you are 200 years later when the Chinese are sorting through literally billions of recordings made before our civilization imploded and the whole idea of "greatness" as in Bach or Amon Tobin is meaningless except in terms of cultural inertia linked to those kind of artists... Imagine you are discovered by someone in that future age... not by millions of people but by one person out of billions. What message are you telling that person about our time, about yourself?

------------------
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
brb
Libertard Demagogue

"I am a pretentious dick."

------------------
Thanks to brb
Kvlt O))) (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #14
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
"I am a pretentious dick."
There's nothing too wrong with that. I have a feeling OP is like 17, it's all part of the process
Old 02-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #15
brb
Libertard Demagogue

I was answering the question in the post above mine as a matter of fact.

Unless you're doing a megameta that's the joke joke? But maybe I'm doing an ubermegameta that's the that's the joke joke.

------------------
Old 02-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #16
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
The last of the last particles
MC Status: 6951633
Thanked 3,844 Times in 2,557 Posts

Quote:
You are making music for the wrong reason. Suggestions? I don't know you if you can fix it. I think it boils down to confidence. There is something that truly passionate creative people possess that pushes them to create and make something. They have a vision and seek after a picture and sound in their head rather than making something that people will like.

Maybe you simply don't have the musical skills to give you a frame of reference. Think of the artists and musicians you've heard of. What did they do first? They studied and trained. Then they had the tools to create their passion.

------------------
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:55 AM   #17
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

On-topic thoughts before this gets closed:

You can have more than one project. Have an experimental project and a normal one, for all the fuck anyone cares. Have one dedicated to chillwave and one dedicated to noise. Make music and stuff.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
On-topic thoughts before this gets closed:

You can have more than one project. Have an experimental project and a normal one, for all the fuck anyone cares. Have one dedicated to chillwave and one dedicated to noise. Make music and stuff.
Yes

and only release eps of your exp project

with three tracks each less than a minute

the dream

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:00 AM   #19
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

Ohhhhh fuckit. Forget it all

Last edited by FunkMasterBrown; 02-10-2016 at 02:19 AM..

------------------
Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 AM   #20
MikeyOSB
Knob Twiddler
MikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond repute
Armpit of the North
MC Status: 2110

I have the opposite problem. I listen to my tracks and think "Is this electro-industrial enough" or "Is this Aggrotech enough?" Front Line Assembly is an innovator in post-industrial, and along with Skinny Puppy and some others, is credited with founding the electro-industrial genre. But FLA's early stuff actually sounded pretty EBM. For the most part not that much layering and complexity. It wasn't like in 1987 they were like BAM! Tactical Neural Implant.

Advertisements

------------------
MikeyOSB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

experimentation. Tags
tomsandyv