help with a song
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-28-2016, 06:06 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 18960
help with a song

so, i'm working on a song right now that sounds very simple and I know there is a way to spruce it up a bit but I have no idea how, I took a simple saw wave and put some delay and reverb on it, along with that I had a simple kick, snare and hihat rythem in the background, will strings or pads work well?

Advertisements

mute machine is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:18 AM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 94900
Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,247 Posts
Re: help with a song

Try it and see?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514180
Thanked 6,465 Times in 4,620 Posts

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8110

Yeah trial and error is the way to go sometimes. Often, in fact. Also, you can try some atmospheric elements as opposed to straight-up tonal things, which can give your track a whole new identity.

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
AlexBridgez
Minor Glitch
AlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the rough
Edinburgh
MC Status: 310

How new are you to producing? And how committed are you to it?
AlexBridgez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBridgez View Post
How new are you to producing? And how committed are you to it?
I have been producing for about 3 years now, I am very committed to it and usually spend an hour or two a day trying something new...
Old 01-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
what this time?!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
AlexBridgez
Minor Glitch
AlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the rough
Edinburgh
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I have been producing for about 3 years now, I am very committed to it and usually spend an hour or two a day trying something new...
If you want to improve you need time and dedication. This site has hundreds of tutorials on all aspects of music production. Read as many as you can. Keep trying to improve your craft.

If you're drawn to music production for the fame and to be the next Martin Garrix/Avicii Beatport number 1 producer, then you will most likely drop out and quit after a while.

If however, you make music because you enjoy making music, then you'll be willing to take the time and effort to get better at production.

Just keep making tracks. Each track will be better than the last and you'll look back at what you made a year ago and be amazed at how amateur it sounds. This is true for everyone.

Don't just follow and copy what is popular right now. You will just end up frustrated that you can't imitate the sound of the current 'cool' artist. Make music that represents who you are as an individual. You will never out-Martin-Garrix Martin Garrix, and you will never out-Deadmau5 Deadmau5. No one will.

Don't expect hand-outs. If you want to get better you have to actively engage with new material, and try new things for your self. Your question comes off as a tad lazy (try strings or pads and see how they sound to you, it's your track).

The internet is full with more production guides, tips, tutorials and videos than any sane person could comprehend. Start reading them. Then read some more.

Consider sharing your tracks in the feedback thread on the forum (just remember to give as much feedback as you would want to receive).

Most importantly, have fun. Enjoy the process, and you'll make better music.
AlexBridgez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527677
Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,160 Posts

now there is some sound advice. no pun intended.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
what this time?!
Look man, not trying to be a jerk really, but if this doesn't consitute hand holdring, I don't know what does. Will strings work? Try it. Will a pad work? Try it. Make 3 versions of a song.

Also, minimalism can work really well in dance music and other types of electronic music.

Try building several different alternative supporting percussion parts around your kick and snare and use them to change the energy and pace of the track.

------------------
Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #11
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 111010
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,297 Posts

Quote:
so, i'm working on a song right now that sounds very simple and I know there is a way to spruce it up a bit but I have no idea how, I took a simple saw wave and put some delay and reverb on it, along with that I had a simple kick, snare and hihat rythem in the background, will strings or pads work well?
Great, now put it in "sketches" folder or scrap the entire project and try again until you succeed, no joke.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Kvlt O))) (01-29-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5210

When in doubt, throw in a clip from a movie no one has ever seen, or Fight Club. Works every time.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
When in doubt, throw in a clip from a movie no one has ever seen, or Fight Club. Works every time.
Fightclub has been well rinsed.

------------------
Old 01-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #14
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 94900
Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,247 Posts

Time for Strongbad's lesson on how to techno.

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Strongbad Email FTW

------------------
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #16
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
I haven't seen this in years. Always funny.

"I heard this techno song one time that was like doot doot doot doot"

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

help with a song Tags
music, synth