Need help with chords + harmonizing melodies
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
XyloMorphix
Learning The Ropes
XyloMorphix is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Icon14 Need help with chords + harmonizing melodies

Hey guys i'm brand new here so just wanted to start off with saying hi!

So i've been practicing and learning theory for a little while now, and i'm just getting stuck especially when trying to apply theory to electronic music.

I understand chords, I understand melodies(I guess). I'm just wondering how closely they are actually related, like can I build a chord progression and than just jam out any melody(on a different synth/instrument) and it will work as long as its in key?
Or is there more of a fine tuned relation between the chords and the melodies you play over them.

And secondly, does your subbass/bassline have a similar approach as well. Or can you say play a 1 3 5 7 chord but have your bassline as the 2nd degree to make it sound dissonant?

I apologize if this is simple stuff or if this is not the correct place to ask my question, seeing as i'm brand new to idmforums.

Any help greatly appreciated thanks for reading guys!

Advertisements

XyloMorphix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279334
Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,711 Posts
Re: Need help with chords + harmonizing melodies

are you in any way musically inclined? You need to be if you hope to make music man

if the melody sounds good to you then its a good melody

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2360

Harmony is one of the foundations of a melody.
There is really no way of saying this is right or this is wrong. Sure, in most cases having your sub play something else than the bass is not going to sound pleasant, but that doesn't mean it can't sound good.
Same with chords and melodies. You can't say this is the right way to write. There are many approaches which build melodies from chords, but also ways to make harmonies from melodies, or conceive it both at the same time, or don't use harmonies at all, or no melodies at all.
If it sounds good it is good, no matter what it is or how many "rules" it breaks.

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508130
Thanked 6,344 Times in 4,551 Posts

Search for Art of Composing on YouTube. Some really nice free videos. At first I felt like they were to simple for what I knew, then I realized I didn't know anything lol. Check 'em out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
saneliv
Soundwave Mangler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2510

If you want to think progressively about what notes sound good above what chords - think of intervals

Start with a note
Think of a note that is 1 1/2 step above it. Creates some dissonance, right? So say you have a C major triad

C E G -

Then you want to be careful about C# F and G# above this triad. Not that you can't use them but that they will create certain effects that will stand out in weird ways if you use them on rhythmic accents and don't follow their tendency to go down a half-step. Now go through the same process with a whole step

for C E G that would be D F# A

anyway you get the idea hopefully. Repeat this process increasing by 1/2 steps and you will learn how each note behaves above your chord.

I would do this experimentation, because honestly in the 21st century, by now, you can use any note above any chord as long as you know what to do with it.

Scales are kind of pitch inventories that are left over from traditional musics. If you want to sound like traditional music, then study traditional scales and chords. If you want to sound original, there is no textbook and nothing will replace the sort of experimentation I was just talking about...

Advertisements

------------------
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote