Other chords than 5ths
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
Garet
Minor Glitch
Garet will become famous soon enough
Sydney
MC Status: 60
Icon3 Other chords than 5ths

Hey I was wondering in terms of composition of chords, there is more than the 1-3-5, there are 4th, 7th, 9th's and on and on,
What chords are you into using a lot apart from 5th's?
What is a helpful way of coming up with endless chords? I usually just pick a chord in the key it's in and mess around until I can find something I really like. Do you find the circle of fifth's helpful with this sort of thing?

Advertisements

Garet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: https://soundcloud.com/pax-646179222/pax-primal
Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760
Re: Other chords than 5ths

Well... one way to look at it is you can have a max of 12 different tones per chord... and the chord is still determined by the lowest consonant interval. Today the only really nasty dissonance is the minor 9th and if you put more than 2 octaves in between you don't even hear that as a dissonance... so have fun building massive chords

------------------
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8528830
Thanked 6,758 Times in 4,815 Posts

I use the chords that speak the message my music wants to send? I don't tend to fixate on certain chords conciously, though somehow there does seem to be tendency towards moods in my music. I like exploring chords in program called Harmony Navigator.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Garet
Minor Glitch
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by saneliv View Post
Well... one way to look at it is you can have a max of 12 different tones per chord... and the chord is still determined by the lowest consonant interval. Today the only really nasty dissonance is the minor 9th and if you put more than 2 octaves in between you don't even hear that as a dissonance... so have fun building massive chords
Sounds like a plan! fun fun fun!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Garet
Minor Glitch
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I use the chords that speak the message my music wants to send? I don't tend to fixate on certain chords conciously, though somehow there does seem to be tendency towards moods in my music. I like exploring chords in program called Harmony Navigator.
Sounds inturesting, in terms of mood and feeling do you have a certain process you go through like, "okay, this will be a minor chord due to it being a minor mood" or do you go through the program and choose a chord and build off that mood from there? In other terms, do you have pre composition ideas or do you go with the flow?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8528830
Thanked 6,758 Times in 4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet View Post
Sounds inturesting, in terms of mood and feeling do you have a certain process you go through like, "okay, this will be a minor chord due to it being a minor mood" or do you go through the program and choose a chord and build off that mood from there? In other terms, do you have pre composition ideas or do you go with the flow?
If I am using the software at all for a specific song I explore a progression there, but usually I just noodle around on the keys until I come up w something I like.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Garet
Minor Glitch
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
If I am using the software at all for a specific song I explore a progression there, but usually I just noodle around on the keys until I come up w something I like.
Sounds good, have fun creating music link us up if you want
Old 12-01-2016, 02:23 AM   #8
zjohnson17
Minor Glitch
zjohnson17 has a spectacular aura aboutzjohnson17 has a spectacular aura aboutzjohnson17 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I personally like the sound of minor 7th chords. Especially the tonic minor 7th in a minor key and the fifth scale degree minor 7th.

Also at the end of chord progressions, the fifth scale degree which is used a lot as a cadence to show that it is the end of the progression, you can add the dominant 7th there to make it want to go back to the tonic(main/1st scale degree chord) even more. It just adds more tension and release.
zjohnson17 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:28 AM   #9
Garet
Minor Glitch
Sydney

Sounds good, do you study music?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:40 AM   #10
zjohnson17
Minor Glitch
zjohnson17 has a spectacular aura aboutzjohnson17 has a spectacular aura aboutzjohnson17 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I recently changed majors, but I have 2 years of college classical music training. I also have been playing guitar and piano for a while so my knowledge of music theory is definitely past my production knowledge at this point.
zjohnson17 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:01 AM   #11
Garet
Minor Glitch
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjohnson17 View Post
I recently changed majors, but I have 2 years of college classical music training. I also have been playing guitar and piano for a while so my knowledge of music theory is definitely past my production knowledge at this point.
Good stuff, being classically trained in music has more importance that what people think these days
Old 17-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2360

Split the octave into 3 chords of 4 tones. The only requirement is that every chord contains at least 1 minor 2nd interval. So for example
Chord 1 C C# D D#
Chord 2 E F G# B
Chord 3 F# G A A#

Then invert them or layer them on top of "normal" (tonal) harmony. You can use as many notes of the chords as you want in any order.

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #13
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760

You can also try spreading out a minor 2nd to a minor 9th and then make it more appealing by inserting a tone in the middle. For example, if you insert a tone a fourth below the top tone, eg. E C F, the consonance of the 6th and 4th overwhelm the dissonance of the minor 9th. You can actually use the above as a C major family chord

------------------
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #14
Thetagram
Minor Glitch
Thetagram is a jewel in the roughThetagram is a jewel in the roughThetagram is a jewel in the rough
London
MC Status: 260

I like Sus2 and Sus 4 Chords. Removing the the third note and replacing with either the 2nd or 4th note of the key.
In the context of C Major a sus2 would be CDG and a sus4 would be CFG.

Major 7th Chords are nice as well, take the major triad and add the 7th note of the scale on top. In the context of C Major that would be CEGB
Thetagram is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 01:07 AM   #15
Garet
Minor Glitch
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagram View Post
I like Sus2 and Sus 4 Chords. Removing the the third note and replacing with either the 2nd or 4th note of the key.
In the context of C Major a sus2 would be CDG and a sus4 would be CFG.

Major 7th Chords are nice as well, take the major triad and add the 7th note of the scale on top. In the context of C Major that would be CEGB
Sounds good. Yeah I'm doing a degree in music so i'm familiar with those chords, the hardest part is the ear training identifying the sus2, sus 4, dom 7, Dim and Aug chords

Advertisements