Suggestion for the next Open Genre Comp...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

Old 17-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Suggestion for the next Open Genre Comp...

Not to get ahead of ourselves but...

I was having a thorough read of the OP in [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
yesterday and noticed this in the details:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Up for grabs are 3 places on a Bandcamp release...
I think this is a cool idea. Not for everything all the time but every once in a while this limited number of slots thing interests me. Have you guys ever thought about doing that for an IDMf Netlabel Compilation? Maybe a little more than three spots, maybe like five or something, would interest more people and be more effective for a release from a listeners perspective. But, whatever the number, I think a pre defined smaller number, could bring healthy spirit of competition to one of these open genre comps in the future and bolster incentive for submitting only your best work.

Not that we have anything to prove mind you, just think it'd be fun, thats all.

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Br/ainfu+ked
fin.....
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963048
Thanked 1,144 Times in 880 Posts
Re: Suggestion for the next Open Genre Comp...

it does sound like an interesting idea....

i'm 100% not sure

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742393

Don't think it changes much submission side, just becomes a predetermined track # release, no?

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Well maybe, but one spot of five would be seem to me to be more valuable than one spot of twenty five so it would be more like a competition in the true sense of the word.

That's the difference.

------------------
Old 19-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Benwaa

truth is there s a sort of limit to the number of tracks on a release anyway. it's not set in stone, granted, it depends on how may submissions and the quality. at most i'd only look to put 10-12 tracks on a release tops, unless there were one or two truly exceptional tracks that had to be on there too (which would normally mean other tracks maybe not making it anyway)
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
RFJ (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018941
Thanked 7,030 Times in 4,376 Posts

Don't all the releases go on Bandcamp anyway?
I've probably missed something but I don't get what the distinction is about?

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Old 19-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

My suggestion didn't really have anything to do with bandcamp but more the number of tracks that get selected. I was under the impression that, unless something was really bad, most everything submitted got on, which is fine and good, I'm not complaining. When I read about the limited number of tracks avaliable on Bens comp the possibility of getting on (being 1 of 3 vs 1 of 18) became more exciting. So I thought, in the spirit of competition, why not do that here once. Not every time, but once.

But then Ben set me straight on the fact that there's a limited number already so my point is kind of moot anyway.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
lolirl (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Yeah fair enough, not having a go or anything I was just missing the point.
I'm of the opinion that we obviously need to keep to some sort of standard whilst trying not to make it into too much of a charts-based idea. It's not a popularity contest.

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
RFJ (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17110

my suggestion for the next one is to actually have a theme. this kind of came up when people were submitting artwork and someone commented that it's impossible to pick one without hearing the release, since it might not vibe with the actual music. so wouldn't it be great to have a theme first and a cover picked before kicking the whole thing off, so that we all have something to vibe off and so there's some kind of cohesion to the whole thing? since it's open genre, it should still be pretty diverse, since people here are into all kinds of shit. but at least this should give some commonality. and also kind of help to ensure people are doing tracks specifically for that comp, instead of grabbing some random finished track they might've had laying around and just submitting that.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

That's a much better suggestion than mine.

------------------
Old 19-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Benwaa

Not to dismiss the idea completely. When we've had themes or restrictions before now it impacts in the number of submissions we get in the negative. The only exception to that was when there were some cool arse prizes on offer for the change the noise comp.
I guess if we organised more prizes then it's doable again - hence the not dismissing if the idea.
It's something that'll get looked into again for sure
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Not to dismiss the idea completely. When we've had themes or restrictions before now it impacts in the number of submissions we get in the negative. The only exception to that was when there were some cool arse prizes on offer for the change the noise comp.
I guess if we organised more prizes then it's doable again - hence the not dismissing if the idea.
It's something that'll get looked into again for sure
yeah, i can see how that could be the case. though i still think it might be a good idea to at least have a cover picked before hand, without explicitly stating any restrictions. then some of us will chose to take it as inspiration. and those who don't give a fuck will just do what they always do.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8523830
Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,748 Posts

I already know this is a totally unproductive comment, but I think it is really lame of people to bail on the comps that have themes or limitations...ask people to do something out of there comfort zone and they bail...ah well...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

^ I'm guilty of that. I think having to offer prizes for more submissions kind of sucks, but I understand the need for more submissions.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
lolirl (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
lolirl
Administrator

I get what you're saying but I'd prefer to hear people doing what they do well rather than struggle through listening to somebody doing something a bit shit and applaud them for trying, leave that stuff for the LB or QAWM.

------------------
Old 19-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269451408
Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I get what you're saying but I'd prefer to hear people doing what they do well rather than struggle through listening to somebody doing something a bit shit and applaud them for trying, leave that stuff for the LB or QAWM.
I tend to agree with Lolirl more and more often, should I get worried?

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742393

I do like the idea of the cover first, then being inspired without restrictions. I think the beat tapes are an example of placing restrictions.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
lolirl
Administrator

Thanks, but we're always up for suggestions and don't need anyone to be offended on our behalf, it's all good.

------------------
Old 22-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #19
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

^Did i miss a post that got deleted or something?

Hate when that happens.

------------------
Old 22-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #20
Br/ainfu+ked
fin.....
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963048
Thanked 1,144 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
^Did i miss a post that got deleted or something?

Hate when that happens.

i deleted mine...

suggested general themes...

dark
bright
chilled out
warm/fuzzy
psychedelic
comp where we use field recordings
etc....

Advertisements

------------------