Production terminology (idea)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
discodance
Regular Freak
discodance is currently spamming hard
Melbourne
MC Status: 10
Production terminology (idea)

What I reckon this forum needs is a production terminology that gives a brief explanation of various topics, such as synthesizers, midi, daw etc etc. This would help the noobs like me grab a quick grasp of things instead of gathering it piece by piece. Also on topic, I've come across the terms for the various types of synth sounds such as a lead, stab and I was wondering if you guys could go over these terms.

Advertisements

discodance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960
Re: Production terminology (idea)

The problem is that most of this stuff can be found by simply googling it, it will probably also be way better explained...

Btw, the forum also has a search function

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
studiobee
Minor Glitch
studiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of light
St. John's
MC Status: 460

I think a glossary of terms - a mini wiki if you like, would be a good idea.

The terms you mentioned are both a little ambiguous. A lead sound is one that was designed to carry the tune. Typically it would have a fast attack and probably a bright-ish tone in order to keep up with the tune, and be able to be heard over everything else - this would be in contrast to a pad which would generally have a slower attack and be able to blend into the background better.
A stab is just a short note with a fast attack and typically a fast release.
studiobee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024269

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
lolirl (13-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Lehsyrus
Granular Poster
Lehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I would be down for designing a template and doing the scripting for this. If someone sends men's list of terminology I'll work on one and set it up on a free sub domain and adjust it until someone wants to make a site (I would prefer IDMF using it) for it. Would be a fun project and I always find myself searching for terminology when I could just be enjoying the threads.
Lehsyrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
zaroukos
Knob Twiddler
zaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

i think that what the new self-teaching producers really want is to break down what categories exist in music production.I myself had no idea of what to ask when i first joined to the forums because i didnt even know that some things exist.
Things like subtractive, addictive, granular or fm synthesis, resampling, stretching, or techniques like spliting master channel into low mids highs and messing with each seperately. You know, stuff like that. I didnt even have the names of these "categories" to search them in other sites and educate myself

Though that is the exciting part for me, always learning something new and expanding your horizons, working with what you currently have until you stumble upon something else

Last edited by zaroukos; 13-08-2013 at 02:54 AM..

------------------
zaroukos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Jonathan
Sample Destroyer
Jonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MC
Québec
MC Status: 323781

I think that could be a good idea to have a post with terminology and definition in it...

....if people would always google instead of coming here the forum would be dead since you can find ALL your anwser on google.

------------------
Jonathan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744022541
Thanked 7,102 Times in 4,425 Posts

Somebody write it and we'll probably sticky it.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
PROton42 (13-08-2013)
Old 13-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I think that could be a good idea to have a post with terminology and definition in it...

....if people would always google instead of coming here the forum would be dead since you can find ALL your anwser on google.
That's not necessarily true.
The best (and sometimes worst) thing about this place is the subjectivity, the opinions rather than straight up facts.
Google is great at facts but rubbish at opinion.
Old 13-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Somebody write it and we'll probably sticky it.
where would one even start

maybe we could all contribute to a list of words here, then when weve got a nice sized list somebody could start writing out the definitions (with links to online resources). then once the thread is started people can add to it and mods can move the replies into the original post.

sound like a plan?

------------------
signature loading...
Old 13-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
lolirl
Administrator

That's why so many of the great ideas don't get done here.
But yeah, I wrote that before noticing your link which pretty much negates this list.

Last edited by lolirl; 13-08-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Old 13-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
daffymaestro
Soundwave Mangler
daffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MCdaffymaestro is a savage MC
MC Status: 11250

I think this forum is ideal for developing unique sound of your own, by getting tip. Giving production tips from ground up won't be well effective with most of the users. If you want go buzzinga on drums and need a lil guide this is the place. Just my thoughts on this. Home work is for home.
daffymaestro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to daffymaestro
Nyul (13-08-2013)
Old 14-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
That's why so many of the great ideas don't get done here.
But yeah, I wrote that before noticing your link which pretty much negates this list.
it would be nice to have our own list though. we could include things like lead and stab then, which im pretty sure are not on that wiki page.

but yea youre right, there are SO many great ideas that die here. people come up with the ideas but nobody ever goes through with them. we are all very busy and things like this are such a huge amount of work.

i really want to start writing a list but i need to know that im not going to do it alone

------------------
signature loading...
Old 14-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #14
ajit
Analog Lurker
ajit is a jewel in the roughajit is a jewel in the roughajit is a jewel in the roughajit is a jewel in the rough
Texas
MC Status: 310

I would implore someone to do this. I wouldn't mind but I don't know enough. Just make an alphabetical list that you can ctrl-f through. I did one for graphics a LONG time ago: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Added examples (whether they be pictures or audio clips) would be next level.

------------------
ajit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #15
discodance
Regular Freak
discodance is currently spamming hard
Melbourne
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaroukos View Post
i think that what the new self-teaching producers really want is to break down what categories exist in music production.I myself had no idea of what to ask when i first joined to the forums because i didnt even know that some things exist.
Things like subtractive, addictive, granular or fm synthesis, resampling, stretching, or techniques like spliting master channel into low mids highs and messing with each seperately. You know, stuff like that. I didnt even have the names of these "categories" to search them in other sites and educate myself

Though that is the exciting part for me, always learning something new and expanding your horizons, working with what you currently have until you stumble upon something else
Exactly thats why a thread like this would be helpful. Even if it's not a detailed description of each term at least it introduces you to it so you can further study it.
discodance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #16
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

What if someone starts a thread and people can just add terminology/definitions or links post by post.That way it's no more work than posting on a regular thread. It still would be a valuable resource.

I do actively search for things on my own but I think it would be cool to have one thread devoted to just terms.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 30-08-2013 at 05:06 AM..
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
SlimShady94
Minor Glitch
SlimShady94 has a spectacular aura aboutSlimShady94 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodance View Post
What I reckon this forum needs is a production terminology that gives a brief explanation of various topics, such as synthesizers, midi, daw etc etc. This would help the noobs like me grab a quick grasp of things instead of gathering it piece by piece. Also on topic, I've come across the terms for the various types of synth sounds such as a lead, stab and I was wondering if you guys could go over these terms.
yeah I agree with you man.. im a newbie and i'd love a section like that
SlimShady94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Parricide

this site has just started doing this very thing. they are only up to B so far, but it looks like it would be exactly what this thread is requesting.

i think there are a lot of things we could add to this list, maybe when they get further we can use it as a starting template for our own version that can be edited as the community make suggestions.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 24-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Parricide

turns out they ^ are taking it from music radar, who are already at J.

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
lolirl (24-11-2013)
Old 24-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #20
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

I like the format of the first blog better, even if they are on B. Great find! I think it would be awesome do use it as a template and then make it better.

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote