Glitch techniques - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 15-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #41
Enkimusic
Regular Freak
Enkimusic has a spectacular aura aboutEnkimusic has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Re: Glitch techniques

Tom Cosm and Mr. Bill both have tutorials for this but......Sometimes I'll write eight bars or so and record it seven or eight times each with different effects. Then slice them and rearrange it until I don't think it sounds like total crud.

Also pitch bending, doing odd things with arpeggiators, time stretching and resampling never hurts.

Last edited by Enkimusic; 15-01-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Advertisements

Enkimusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #42
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123160
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,442 Posts

simple glitch technique for Live users (very lame but it works):

drag audio file (any that has plenty of transient)

if it's a long sample, loop selection>1-3 bars>crop sample
slice to new midi track. This will slice up your sample and create a new midi track with a drum rack.
slicing options, I chose to slice by transient and build-in preset.
you'll end up with a new midi track that looks like this.

You can quantize this midi file that was created and make some weird patterns if you want.
Expanding drum rack with audio effects, I chose beat repeat and autopan with random lfo.
You can automate whatever you like now, the higher start offset is the shorter sample will be and it clicks more, similar effect with loop length and snap. Mess around with ADSR too. Play with these options, automate whatever you like. Create more tracks like that while following the same process but with a different sample.

ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #43
Kaiuna
Granular Poster
Kaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud of
B.C.
MC Status: 1387

Hey Folks,

I recently stumbled onto a glitch technique which I thought Id share. In order to do this I used a sound driver called Soundflower. Unfortunately this appears to only be available for Mac, though theres probably an equivalent available for PC. This enables you to reroute audio back into your computer. For instance, if I set my sound output to use sound flower, then the input of my DAW to Soundflower as well. Anything I play on my computer will be rerouted into my DAW (Ableton in this case). This can be super useful for a lot of things, including sampling youtube, movies, or other songs.

If you dont have Soundflower then Im sure you could use a workaround where you just take an output from your Audio Interface and reroute it back into the input. Just be very careful about your monitoring as its easy to create feedback in this way. You could also potentially do this by recording from one computer to another.

So yes. Once you have Soundflower set up, or audio routed into your computer you will want to open VLC (I havent tried it with other playback software yet). From here its just a matter of opening up a movie, hitting record on your DAW, and scrubbing through it to create all kinds of glitchy sounds. You can potentially play with the playback speed as well. This technique can be really fun as you can also stop clicking and let it play out for a few seconds. Useful for catching quotes or glitching up dialog.

Im sure there are a lot of other applications for this. I havent experimented with it much since I just discovered it the other day. Im still working through categorizing the first batch of samples I recorded, but heres one snippet I made so that you have an idea what it sounds like. This is completely unedited other than a slight volume boost.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Enjoy! :badger:

PS- Heres a link to download Soundflower for those interested:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Kaiuna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:27 AM   #44
Eden'sArchitect
Learning The Ropes
Eden'sArchitect is currently spamming hard
Fresno CA
MC Status: 10

Any tips for creating such effects on a Roland Fa-06? surely theres gotta be a way, you can go in such depth on that thing with sound design, i just feel like theres alot i dont understand, but each day i experiment i learn some strange new techniques, and the more and more i play with it, i start to feel like you really can make anything just on that workstation alone,only if you FULLY understood electronic production. Now is there anybody out there who feels like they have that much experience, who has also played enough with a Roland Fa-06 that can give me some tips on its limitations and capabilities i haven't figured out yet? As that is my main workstation that I make all my mixes on.
Eden'sArchitect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Makeup and Vanity Set
Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #45
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

My wifes old netbook ist pretty slow. Actually its totally annoying, so she got a new desktop yesterday. Aynways, I recently discovered that her old lame netbook is an awesome glitch machine!
Since I already installed Reaper there some time ago (She plays the Uke and also plays the recorders - So Reaper can just provide the tempo, but its usefull in many ways. It works so perfectly btw on this so terribly slow computer with Asio4All) and sometimes youtube videos totally glitch out when there are tasks going on in the backgound like updates for example - I decided to make my own glitches by using several instances of different browsers, many tabs, doing stuff in Gimp etc. - You get the idea.
It worked so perfectly! Just amazing. Anything can be used as a sound source of course! Videos, online TV, games, or I can prepare my own stuff in Reaper etc.

If you have a TV with an antenna of some sort, just use a cable from the tvs audio out - Digital tv with poor signal tends to glitch when switching channels. Im sure theres lots of fun to be had with those old antennas as well.

Its always easy with percussive sounds to use a gate effect set to only let some of the transient material pass. Depending on the settings and the audio source this can provide some pretty good stuff. Any DAW should have some drum loops or similar stuff, of course you can use your own audio, too. Your DAWs "Slice to midi" function can easily transform the resampled audio into a drum kit that can be triggered with midi notes.
Using a hardware sequencer or a software drum synth with inbuilt sequencer can give pretty cool results. "Midi effects" can be used for fast retriggering drum rolls etc.
Arpeggiators can be used with very fast rates to get pseudo granular effects. Map "On/Off" and "Rate" to midi controller.
Sorry if someone else already posted similar stuff, Im in a hurry.
Gotta read the whole thread laterz.

Last edited by Schnork; 10-05-2017 at 02:38 PM..

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #46
Lu-Cuss
Granular Poster
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
The Wired
MC Status: 1360

Open any exe file in Audacity, and harvest out any of the resulting sounds you like.

In a wavetable synth that allows user wavetables, try putting in small wav files that aren't designed to fit.

The most genuinely computer error-ish sounds I've come across though are just from just making sounds repeat quickly and cutting out lots of small sections of it. It's a hassle (in DAWs, at least. I have a Max patch that does it for me), but it really sounds like the audio equivalent of a datamosh to my ears.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #47
l3ug
Microknight
l3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to all
Livorno
MC Status: 610

oh the gross beat * ^*

------------------
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Philip K. Dick

l3ug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #48
l3ug
Microknight
l3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to all
Livorno
MC Status: 610

i generally use the arrangment section of ableton, then dublicate with contrl+D the interessd part creating, from a jungle loop at 160 some glitched stuff at 80, similiar to "an extream dub" ahah.
when we have clip volume just put auto filter on channel/or master and use freq envelop to create big stuff, there need patience but the result is sooo good

Advertisements

------------------
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Philip K. Dick

l3ug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote