Porter Robinson used Best Buy speakers - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 28-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #21
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060
Re: Porter Robinson used Best Buy speakers

this is pretty bullshit.
the fact that he used porter robinson as an example is annoying. porter robinson is shitty.
i dare porter robinson to come out with anything close to the snaring synth sounds that zoog from angelspit makes with his big modular array or the ones made by greg vaneck from prometheus burning.
scott fox from ivardensphere also ranks up there.

hardware matters. you can't do everything with it, but the notion that "you don't need hardware" should always be qualified by "to make certain types of sounds".

Advertisements

g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
RFJ (28-08-2013)
Old 28-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552380
Thanked 7,229 Times in 5,118 Posts

FWIW, I'd say 90% of the people on this forum us all software except for monitors/audio interface.

I'd also say if we count all the people making what most of consider "electronic" music are a higher (significantly higher) percentage are using almost all software.

But thanks for letting us know we don't have to go out and buy a Neve desk to mix our tunes. I was seriously about to sell a kidney on the black market so I could buy one!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
RFJ (28-08-2013)
Old 28-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
Absynthesis
Knob Twiddler
Absynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MCAbsynthesis is a savage MC
Ohio
MC Status: 889657

$100 seems a bit much

------------------
Absynthesis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109400
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,403 Posts

I would make better music if I had better tools. My tools are dull and broken. Shiny new ones would make an honest difference. Plus I am a trained consumer since birth. Purchasing toys/tools makes my happy and brings me new motivation.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45945881
Thanked 5,754 Times in 3,617 Posts

I make due on very little and have for a long time. The only expense I have is guitar and bass strings. Dont even have monitors to hook up atm. I'm just reveling in the glow of not giving a shit right now and it's making the music I'm making up sound that much better. I almost dont want to finish the project, it's too much fun.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #26
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus
Most people here loves to use hardware which is cool and totally fine. Though I sometimes get the feeling that some people ( not just this forum in particular) believes that to make something like what porter did you really need hardware.
I guess the reason I even posted in this thread at all is I really just don't see this attitude going on anywhere on IDMf. Not to mention, as I stated earlier, I think you are wrong about how many people use hardware on IDMf. There are a few heads...but I'd wager 90% of people are using 90% software (if you don't count MIDI controllers, monitors and audio interfaces).

The only reason I'll start to argue about higher quality gear/hardware is it seems a lot of people want to buy the quickest and cheapest piece of hardware/gear they can get and don't want to hear any reasoning otherwise.

But honestly, point me to 10 recent posts where an IDMf member claimed you can't make good music unless you have expensive hardware.
Have you mistook IDMf for Gearslutz?

And to be perfectly honest, I'm kinda sick of the fact the IDMf has somehow become EDM forums. But that really has nothing to do with anything you posted, except that fact that yet another person is blathering about generic party music.

------------------
Thanks to relic
g0lem (28-08-2013)
Old 28-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #27
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

I'm not sure whats not to get here nor where I see me claiming you need expensive hardware to make good music.

Most people understood the intention of this thread. All I'm seeing from you see ranting about how you dont like the dudes music...

Anyway... lighten up lol

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
I'm not sure whats not to get here nor where I see me claiming you need expensive hardware to make good music.

Most people understood the intention of this thread. All I'm seeing from you see ranting about how you dont like the dudes music...

Anyway... lighten up lol
no.
be more critical when you post stuff up.
Old 28-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #29
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I didn't once say that you were claiming someone needed expensive hardware to make good music. It's like you aren't even reading the responses. It just seemed like you were claiming that was the attitude of most forum members. But whatevs. I'm done.

I'm not even angry really, it just annoys me that we have to talk about 4x4 party music constantly on IDMf.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Muonos (28-08-2013)
Old 28-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #30
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast

------------------
Thanks to Oatbag
relic (28-08-2013)
Old 28-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
Muonos
Deep Underground
Muonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MC
Atlanta
MC Status: 1336412

LOL. Who cares? I'm rich! $2000 headphones for everyone! (who donated to idmforums)

------------------
A song from my upcoming Dub Techno EP.

Muonos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #32
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

The bitter people bashing Porter Robinson just because they don't like his music and because he thinks hardware is overrated

Porter does mix his own music, that I am 100% sure of, he doesn't master it though but there's nothing wrong with that. Not only that but the dude tends to rack up over 100 hours and most of his projects, he even posted one which reached the 200 hours mark. That kind of attention to detail deserves respect even if you don't like his music and I'd LOVE to see one of the people bashing him produce better tracks and actually justify their condescending attitude towards him.

And yes hardware is overrated, nearly everything you do on hardware can be replicated to the point of indifference in the digital world if you know what you are doing but with that being said why bother, if you can afford hardware then use it but if you can't afford it then don't and do not worry. Either way I think the OP's point is that you don't need spend 100s and 1000s on hardware to make good music.
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to CallAndResponse
neyus (29-08-2013)
Old 29-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallAndResponse View Post
The bitter people bashing Porter Robinson just because they don't like his music and because he thinks hardware is overrated

Porter does mix his own music, that I am 100% sure of, he doesn't master it though but there's nothing wrong with that. Not only that but the dude tends to rack up over 100 hours and most of his projects, he even posted one which reached the 200 hours mark. That kind of attention to detail deserves respect even if you don't like his music and I'd LOVE to see one of the people bashing him produce better tracks and actually justify their condescending attitude towards him.

And yes hardware is overrated, nearly everything you do on hardware can be replicated to the point of indifference in the digital world if you know what you are doing but with that being said why bother, if you can afford hardware then use it but if you can't afford it then don't and do not worry. Either way I think the OP's point is that you don't need spend 100s and 1000s on hardware to make good music.
sorry dude, music does not stand in a vacuum. none of these songs is remotely interesting in terms of structure... porter produces shit sounds compared to a lot of other artists out there. there is nothing there that doesn't sound like a stale preset. and hours are a laughable thing to measure.

porter robinson is a shit synthesist. the worst sounds ever produced by Yann Fassurier, Scott Fox, and Greg Vaneck make this shit sound like craptastic noise in a template.
Old 29-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #34
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallAndResponse View Post
Either way I think the OP's point is that you don't need spend 100s and 1000s on hardware to make good music.

Right but the attitude on this forum has always agreed with that. Some people use hardware and love it and lots of people use only cheap software. Others are arguing Porter is a horrid example to use of "make good music."

------------------
Old 29-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

It's not that I think forum believes you dont need expensive hardware to make good music or vice versa. My point is that a lot of people tend to be misled by these expensive equipment or hardware and believes that it can make their track better. But the real truth is that if your music lets say, not arranged right, has no sense of rhythm, or just plain sucks, no mixing, mastering or hardware can polish it.

I've experienced going to a home studio where someone had all the expensive hardware but he couldnt mix for shit. And yet he charges $1000 per song. On top of that, he gets indie bands believing the dude is right for them because he gots all the equipment.

Again my whole point of this thread is that the magic really comes from one's talent and experience. Also I'm aware this is IDM forum where most people will be more biased towards music that isnt really IDM. I would like to say that I enjoy all kinds of genres including IDM music. It just so happens this article included an artist saying he used consumer speakers. It could have been anyone else successful and I would have still posted it.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #36
Spyderbyte
Ghostly
Spyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Hey instead of discussing the point of the thread lets all bitch about a mainstream artist.

Typical IDMf behavior.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
There is a time when the world of music opens itself up to you and you dive right into great unknowns, incredible techniques and emotionally captivating electronic music. And after that, there is stuff like Pop EDM.
Spyderbyte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #37
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390048
Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,764 Posts

Thread needs more pictures of nasal and shitty speakers (imo) that is responsible for alot of awesome mixes of awesome music by awesome musicians/artists:

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #38
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

See the first 5 Guided By Voices albums.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D_Davis
Evelon (29-08-2013)
Old 29-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #39
CocaineAudio
Soundscaper
CocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud of
Newark, New Jersey
MC Status: 1010

That goes to show you, it's not about what you have... but how you use it..

------------------
Follow Me On Twitter: @SluRty
SlurRty Memories (Original Mix) *Released 6-18-14* =
CocaineAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #40
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaineAudio View Post
That goes to show you, it's not about what you have... but how you use it..
But there's nobody out there who says that it is about what you have. I have _never_ seen that written anywhere. Why would anyone even come to that conclusion?

Advertisements

------------------