Best MPC to start with for this?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 09-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
Jerzey
Analog Lurker
Jerzey is currently spamming hard
New Jersey USA
MC Status: 10
Best MPC to start with for this?

I want to get an MPC and start learning it.. I want to use it to do Dubstep/Trap/Hip hop style music like Araabmuzik .. Don't really know where to start lol i want to learn to do perfomances like this
any help with what i should start with?

Advertisements

Jerzey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
Diskonekted
Microknight
Diskonekted is a glorious beacon of lightDiskonekted is a glorious beacon of lightDiskonekted is a glorious beacon of lightDiskonekted is a glorious beacon of lightDiskonekted is a glorious beacon of lightDiskonekted is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510
Re: Best MPC to start with for this?

What about APC or Launchpad or Maschine?
APC and Launchpad are cool for playing loops and sheet / not good for playing drums.
But Maschine has pretty neat pads.

Just saying coz I don't really know the MPC series. Did you try to compare?
I know Maschine is LOTS of fun to play with. I'm not really big on their software tho.

------------------
Diskonekted is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552380
Thanked 7,229 Times in 5,118 Posts

Im sure a few google searches will reve what mpc he uses. Also...Maschines software is almos irrelevant...you can use it w the monitor turned off...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

its an mpc2500

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644418
Thanked 4,903 Times in 3,162 Posts

Yeah I had an mpc2500 once, then I sold it.

There are many other things that will get you the sound and workflow that you're after that will serve you much better in the long run.

Like the two things that have already been suggested. By today's standards the MPC's a dinosaur.

Last edited by RFJ; 09-02-2013 at 05:21 AM..

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552380
Thanked 7,229 Times in 5,118 Posts

Araabmuzik is fucking amazing live though. Great vibes.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644418
Thanked 4,903 Times in 3,162 Posts

Not really so much my thing that guy. Sure he's great on those 2500's, I've seen the vids in the past, just not my personal cup o' tea. I'd say for someone who is just starting out, with no prior MPC knowledge on the brain, learning a different tool is the way to go.

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

Use whatever the fuck you can get your hands on. I love the Maschine, but I also like the idea of an MPC's easy playability. (ie. audio cables, plug it in anywhere and away you go). I'd honestly say whatever you can get cheap, go with.

I'd probably still buy an MPC to go with the Maschine if I could get a cheap one, but they're not exactly cheap at the best of times. Still love the idea of one.

------------------
USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
sticker14
MUDERATOR
sticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MC
Cleveland
MC Status: 1197574

Just get the cheapest MPC you can find and play around with it. That way you'll know if you actually enjoy doing this kinda stuff without investing too much money into it.

------------------
Mint Clad - Live @ Night of the Rats
sticker14 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Garf Richards
Regular Freak
Garf Richards is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

The one you can afford!

I started on the MPC 200xl, sold that, then got the 4000 once I was comfortable with the workflow.
I'd say get one, any one with your budget, then move up or down based on your experience.

Advertisements

Garf Richards is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote