[Electronic\ Instrumental] Ambient Mechanics - Mann Hunter (WIP)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 22-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 174960
Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,612 Posts
[Electronic\ Instrumental] Ambient Mechanics - Mann Hunter (WIP)

This is the first track I've started since getting my ath m50s headphones and Focusrite VRM Box, and it's also the first of a number of tracks for a personal project I've just started working on.

As the post title says, it's a work in progress..so don't judge it too harshly at this stage. I have yet to add in some voice clips and the ending is currently too abrupt, but it should give you a general idea of where I'm going with this.

It's a tribute track to the film director Michael Mann..the track title is a word play on his name and his movie "Manhunter". I've tried to reflect his work here musically, being inspired by the 80's TV show "Miami Vice"..as well as such movies as "The Keep", "Heat", "The Last of the Mohicans" and, of course, the seminal "Manhunter"..which was the 1986 precursor of the 1991 movie "The Silence of the Lambs", directed by Jonathan Demme.

All feedback and comments are most welcome as usual.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Electronic\ Instrumental] Ambient Mechanics - Mann Hunter (WIP).
Old 22-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts
Re: [Electronic\ Instrumental] Ambient Mechanics - Mann Hunter (WIP)

I like the synth work, it's very evocative and quite creepy, it's making me feel a bit closed in and paranoid. Given that it's a WIP it's hard to comment on prroduction, but it all sounds solid and like it's heading in the right direction
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaede View Post
I like the synth work, it's very evocative and quite creepy, it's making me feel a bit closed in and paranoid. Given that it's a WIP it's hard to comment on prroduction, but it all sounds solid and like it's heading in the right direction
Cheers, Kaede..thanks for the reply and comments.

This is a bit of a hard one really, as I'm trying to stay true to the actual movie scores and capture something of them in this..so the basic sound isn't going to change all that much.

It's the first of a number of track for an album concept I came up with..maybe not all that original..that I'm calling "The Directors". It's going to be an album where each track is dedicated to a film director whose work I admire and have enjoyed watching.

The list isn't finished yet, but so far I have Michael Mann, John Carpenter and Ridley Scott to get me started, with more to follow.

------------------
Old 23-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
futuresoundproj
Radial Developer
futuresoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the rough
NJ
MC Status: 310

What did you use to make this?

These are really nice sounds, and it has a nice driving feeling without having too much of a percussive element. We're you considering adding kicks/snares/toms? Also maybe crashes for the transitions, as it might add some dramatic presence?

Overall I'd say you nailed it, I can picture Don Johnson chasing down a bad-guy to this!

Also, how do you like your m50's? I got my Grado sr225i's and I am absolutely loving them. I just want to upgrade the pads, they're not too comfy when I wear them for extended hours (I wear glasses).

------------------
"Working without respite toward the construction of the perfect pop song for the tribes of the global village"
-Ralf Hütter
futuresoundproj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresoundproj View Post
What did you use to make this?

These are really nice sounds, and it has a nice driving feeling without having too much of a percussive element. We're you considering adding kicks/snares/toms? Also maybe crashes for the transitions, as it might add some dramatic presence?

Overall I'd say you nailed it, I can picture Don Johnson chasing down a bad-guy to this!

Also, how do you like your m50's? I got my Grado sr225i's and I am absolutely loving them. I just want to upgrade the pads, they're not too comfy when I wear them for extended hours (I wear glasses).
Thanks for the comments, FSP..much appreciated.

I only used the factory presets that come with Camel Audio's Alchemy..and tweaked them a bit, but most of the sound quality came from balancing, EQ'ing and mastering the track pre mix-down.

My ath m59s cans and the Focusrite VRM Box made a really big difference doing this. To get an idea of just how much they helped me, check out some of my other tracks here in the LB and you should notice the difference right off.

Up to now, I was just using the mini hifi we have here at home in the kitchen for playback and monitoring off on my old laptop, which has an AMD Athlon Duel core cpu and 764MB of working memory..basically pretty crappy.

Can't wait to finish this off on the new system I just got..along with re-working my other old stuff.

------------------
Old 23-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts

That big, delayed lead is spot on (what'd you program that with?). Oh I see, Alchemy eh? Hrm...I've been considering buying that.

I like the hand drums. The silence that comes in is a bit sudden. Then there seems to be a lot of white noise in the mix. The bass-y drone seems panned to the right too much most of he time or one of my ears is damaged (entirely possible).

The pace/energy level is a bit consistent me for me and even when it "takes off" in that forth section I feel like I'm waiting and waiting for something the track never quite gives me...which could be good!

Over all I really like this, has a sound track-ish vibe to it. My biggest beef is I just can't get over those low tones being panned like that.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

I like that moog sounding synth, Also I agree, the moog sounding synth sounds more right than left, I double checked by wearing one ear on and then switching to see where more of the body is,

Its not a bad thing just want to assure relics ears arent total crap(yet)

I like the little arp, sounds virus-y. and the pads are very neat too, sound a bit icy. and it blends into the moog thing well too to boot,

anyways, I had saw this earlier when you linked it from the VRM page, and listened to it, but didnt have time to really comment.

I think this has a nice mood to it(prob since ur so gerd at ambience ;p)

anyways, only thing I could really poke at is those sudden stops, as they break my attention a bit hard, I know you had the little hihat thing in them but it felt weird once the moog cut off and it went silent. Also at that moment I noticed there was white noise in it too. But that might be my power ect/

either way man, Nice track, I havent seen much of those movies tbh, but I can imagine the idea with this, so congrazzles

EDIT: btw, good for you on your purchase, I'm glad to see you are enjoying them and stuff. haha,

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
That big, delayed lead is spot on (what'd you program that with?). Oh I see, Alchemy eh? Hrm...I've been considering buying that.

I like the hand drums. The silence that comes in is a bit sudden. Then there seems to be a lot of white noise in the mix. The bass-y drone seems panned to the right too much most of he time or one of my ears is damaged (entirely possible).

The pace/energy level is a bit consistent me for me and even when it "takes off" in that forth section I feel like I'm waiting and waiting for something the track never quite gives me...which could be good!

Over all I really like this, has a sound track-ish vibe to it. My biggest beef is I just can't get over those low tones being panned like that.
Thanks Relic..some good points there you mentioned.

Regarding the drone sound panned too far to the right..yeah, I'd noticed that little boob earlier, but thought I'd post it here anyway..after all, it is a wip and I'll be shifting it more to the center with a wide stereo spread, so it fills out the whole sound stage in the background.

This panning is sometimes a bit of a problem for me, as I suffer from slight hearing loss in the right ear since I was a baby..which sometimes results in crappy panning if I get the compensation wrong.

I usually try to bounce my rough mixes off of my kids for feedback on this, but didn't do this before I mixed it down. Still..well spotted my good man!

As for the pace and that..check out Mann's movies and pay close attention to the scores..it's pratically the same as what I've tried to do here..that was the goal after all..to try to blend different elements from the scores of Mann's various films, so as to encapsulate that Mann movie feel.

I mostly had Heat, The Keep, Manhunter and The Last Of The Mohicans in mind while doing this and tried to draw from them into this. I think I managed to do just that, if I may say so myself.

Last edited by A.M; 23-02-2013 at 05:14 AM..

------------------
Old 23-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts

^I see, I'm sorry I missed that detail. I honestly just scanned the post. I always enjoy listening to your tunes, so I wanted to get straight to the music.

My post my have come off a bit wrong, didn't mean to point the bass thing out so many times. I intended for that to sound more complimentary than it came off! I will have to check out those sound tracks. I've seen Heat and Mohicans, but not recently enough to remember the sound tracks!

By the by...you have albums or EPs I can download?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #10
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I like that moog sounding synth, Also I agree, the moog sounding synth sounds more right than left, I double checked by wearing one ear on and then switching to see where more of the body is,

Its not a bad thing just want to assure relics ears arent total crap(yet)

I like the little arp, sounds virus-y. and the pads are very neat too, sound a bit icy. and it blends into the moog thing well too to boot,

anyways, I had saw this earlier when you linked it from the VRM page, and listened to it, but didnt have time to really comment.

I think this has a nice mood to it(prob since ur so gerd at ambience ;p)

anyways, only thing I could really poke at is those sudden stops, as they break my attention a bit hard, I know you had the little hihat thing in them but it felt weird once the moog cut off and it went silent. Also at that moment I noticed there was white noise in it too. But that might be my power ect/

either way man, Nice track, I havent seen much of those movies tbh, but I can imagine the idea with this, so congrazzles

EDIT: btw, good for you on your purchase, I'm glad to see you are enjoying them and stuff. haha,
Good of you to stop by again and post the above, Sapling..nice one!

Yeah..as I said to R above..well spotted on the far right thing with the panning.

And that white noise thing is a bit of a pain..something I will have to try and change if I can. I might drop those silent breaks altogether having read what you guys have said..even though a lot of Mann movie scores seem to have em in there somewhere..perhaps not as drawn out as I've done here..but I thought they worked pretty well when I did em and my ears have gotten used to them..but I do see what you mean.

Thanks again for commenting, dude!

PS: thanks also for the kind words about the ambiance thing..much appreciated!

------------------
Old 23-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
Good of you to stop by again and post the above, Sapling..nice one!

Yeah..as I said to R above..well spotted on the far right thing with the panning.

And that white noise thing is a bit of a pain..something I will have to try and change if I can. I might drop those silent breaks altogether having read what you guys have said..even though a lot of Mann movie scores seem to have em in there somewhere..perhaps not as drawn out as I've done here..but I thought they worked pretty well when I did em and my ears have gotten used to them..but I do see what you mean.

Thanks again for commenting, dude!

PS: thanks also for the kind words about the ambiance thing..much appreciated!
NP, but yeah, scores in films tend to be cinematic so maybe those silence areas were there for suspense and I wouldnt say they weren't suspenseful, but they felt a bit out of place you know? either way man besides the small details this is solid like I said,

EDIT: oh hell I just realized you had made a beer cheers guy too, well w/e, they can be friends or something who knows.

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
^I see, I'm sorry I missed that detail. I honestly just scanned the post. I always enjoy listening to your tunes, so I wanted to get straight to the music.

My post my have come off a bit wrong, didn't mean to point the bass thing out so many times. I intended for that to sound more complimentary than it came off! I will have to check out those sound tracks. I've seen Heat and Mohicans, but not recently enough to remember the sound tracks!

By the by...you have albums or EPs I can download?
No worries, dude..no offense taken at all by what you said in your reply above..trust me. I knew what you meant and totally understood what you were getting at there.

Albums..EPs..what are they?? Maybe one day. Right now all I have is a lot of stuff scattered over a number of external drives and USB keys..but the goal is to put something out there one day..when and if the interest is there. Having said that, I am taking it seriously, but still have a ways to go before I would feel ready to release something major like an album..but it is in the works..even now, if you know what I mean.

Also, just so you know, I did read the PM you sent me and I'll get back to you about that in a few minutes. Chances are you will have gotten a reply from be by the time you read this.

Thanks again for the comments and the interest..really good to get your input on this, as always.

------------------
Old 23-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
NP, but yeah, scores in films tend to be cinematic so maybe those silence areas were there for suspense and I wouldnt say they weren't suspenseful, but they felt a bit out of place you know? either way man besides the small details this is solid like I said,

EDIT: oh hell I just realized you had made a beer cheers guy too, well w/e, they can be friends or something who knows.
Fuck it, S..use the bear guys all you like, man..I don't own em.

------------------
Old 26-02-2013, 03:34 AM   #14
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743043

Really like the layering on the synth. One of the cool things I like about delay, it can seem like it is adding more note play to the instrument. The howling effect in the melody is really nice and works with the rest of the play.

The stop between the 3rd and 4th sections seems really nice but repetitive by the time it gets to the melody on the fourth. I really like the use of it from the 3rd to 5th sections though. =D

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #15
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Really like the layering on the synth. One of the cool things I like about delay, it can seem like it is adding more note play to the instrument. The howling effect in the melody is really nice and works with the rest of the play.

The stop between the 3rd and 4th sections seems really nice but repetitive by the time it gets to the melody on the fourth. I really like the use of it from the 3rd to 5th sections though. =D
Thanks for listening, B..much appreciated, dude!

Glad you liked it. Yeah..the space between the parts is over-done a bit, I guess. Going to take this back the the DAW and look at it again and see how I can re-work it so that it flows better and isn't so disjointed..but I'm pretty happy with it in general.

Advertisements

------------------