What are your opinions? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 15-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #21
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541177
Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,319 Posts
Re: What are your opinions?

Its easy to get caught up in the GAS for new gear, the dopamine rush of actually getting it, learning it well and NOT writing music that whole time.

I wrote a couple of records w 2 controllers and a laptop. Narrow focus made it so that I was forced to use what was in front of me.

These days I have quite a few synths, but still keep the focus narrow by working in Ableton as my midi sequencer and multitrack. I am quick to record my sequences to audio so that I have committed to parts and have a system of notating presets so in the event that I need to re-record or add sections I can get pretty close to the original sound, close enough for my purposes anyways.

Gear doesnt write great music, gear is the vehicle by which one writes music. I think people forget that, especially now while we're having this sort of analog renaissance and everybody's so stoked about new products.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #22
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Recording to audio quickly is so essential IMO. Great post Chase. As for narrow focus-- that is top notch advice too. I spent a long time feeling like I always had to use all my hardware on every project/song--dont get caught up in that.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
NewWorldOrder (16-05-2018)
Old 16-05-2018, 05:02 AM   #23
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23110

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Recording to audio quickly is so essential IMO. Great post Chase. As for narrow focus-- that is top notch advice too. I spent a long time feeling like I always had to use all my hardware on every project/song--dont get caught up in that.

Yeah man I do get stuck in feeling like I have to use every synth on every track. I am slowly getting out of that.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #24
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I spent a long time feeling like I always had to use all my hardware on every project/song--dont get caught up in that.
To that point, check out Electronic Beats TV on Youtube - they do in studio interviews w a lot of EU techno and electronic artists. For the most part they all have the type of studio space that we'd likely slip in a puddle of our own drool over but there is a consistency in most mention writing w one or two specific things and sort of using specific bits of gear for specific things.

I think cataloging in ones mind that way is a good way to utilize hardware. I know for example that in my space w the gear i have it goes something like this:

Deepmind 12 - Poly chords, sometime basses because 12 oscillators can make for some really nice lush things

Minilogue - arps and leads because its 2 osc's and has REALLY snappy envelopes

Tb03 - i think this goes without explanation..... ACID

Nord Lead - Leads and Basses because the VA osc's and limited DAC's make cutting through a mix really easy (there are some additional key parts and pads but I use them more on IDM material due to the lovely FM between the osc's which is made even sweeter w those DACs)

MS20 - FX and Bass sounds, ocasional Arps triggered via midi

Novation Bass Station (OG) - round slow envelope bass lines (think Boards of Canada)

obviously "breaking" those "rules" happens from time to time. (:

In the box its largely Korg M1, and the Roland Cloud D50 and JV1080 but lately i've been re-sampling those patches in Ableton to make interesting layered patches, sort of taking the Flood/Depeche Mode "Violator" era aesthetic and updating it.

One factor that makes my approach quick is that everything is connected via Midi and Audi. In Ableton I've made "External Instrument" presets for each synth, making quickly going from midi sequence to Audio recording possible - and calculating latency in the system and setting external instrument offset accordingly to minimize editing in post to line shit up. There is no finding cables deciding what to disconnect etc...

I gotta keep that workflow quick and painless.

------------------
Old 17-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #25
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
To that point, check out Electronic Beats TV on Youtube - they do in studio interviews w a lot of EU techno and electronic artists. For the most part they all have the type of studio space that we'd likely slip in a puddle of our own drool over but there is a consistency in most mention writing w one or two specific things and sort of using specific bits of gear for specific things.

I think cataloging in ones mind that way is a good way to utilize hardware. I know for example that in my space w the gear i have it goes something like this:

Deepmind 12 - Poly chords, sometime basses because 12 oscillators can make for some really nice lush things

Minilogue - arps and leads because its 2 osc's and has REALLY snappy envelopes

Tb03 - i think this goes without explanation..... ACID

Nord Lead - Leads and Basses because the VA osc's and limited DAC's make cutting through a mix really easy (there are some additional key parts and pads but I use them more on IDM material due to the lovely FM between the osc's which is made even sweeter w those DACs)

MS20 - FX and Bass sounds, ocasional Arps triggered via midi

Novation Bass Station (OG) - round slow envelope bass lines (think Boards of Canada)

obviously "breaking" those "rules" happens from time to time. (:

In the box its largely Korg M1, and the Roland Cloud D50 and JV1080 but lately i've been re-sampling those patches in Ableton to make interesting layered patches, sort of taking the Flood/Depeche Mode "Violator" era aesthetic and updating it.

One factor that makes my approach quick is that everything is connected via Midi and Audi. In Ableton I've made "External Instrument" presets for each synth, making quickly going from midi sequence to Audio recording possible - and calculating latency in the system and setting external instrument offset accordingly to minimize editing in post to line shit up. There is no finding cables deciding what to disconnect etc...

I gotta keep that workflow quick and painless.

I'm trying to connect everything because I have never done that with my stuff, so that is a step I am taking to make it flow better.

------------------
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
chasedobson (20-05-2018)
Old 20-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #26
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Why do we synth dorks fall into this concept? Do you know a SINGLE guitar player that is like, I'm gonna write this song on a telecaster a strat a les Paul an ibanez and a schecter, because I have to use all of the guitars I have on this song. (:

------------------
Old 20-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #27
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Why do we synth dorks fall into this concept? Do you know a SINGLE guitar player that is like, I'm gonna write this song on a telecaster a strat a les Paul an ibanez and a schecter, because I have to use all of the guitars I have on this song. (:

That is what made me think about it. I was a guitar player first, and I thought to myself how often do I even buy new guitars? It is not often, and the reason is because I know at the end of the day what it sounds like is what I play. Somehow when I became a synth player and got further into synth world I ended up feeling like I have to use massive, absynth, omnisphere, maschine, and a sub 37 on one track. Then I thought people who I have seen interviews of like Portishead, NIN, or Prince don't use every synth they own on one track. Maybe it is because we feel like we have to use it because we paid for it? I remember when I sat down with a monologue, and for the first time I thought "I could make an enitre project with this". As limited as it is the sound was simply good, and the controls were comfortable enough for me to just play it. I ended up making some of my best synth sounds. I'll leave some dropbox links so you guys can hear it. It actually made me think about getting into sound designs. Check out my monologue sounds! They were recorded on my phone and not by direct in, so it won't be as good when it comes to sub bass, but you can kind of tell.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 20-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #28
Vault O)))
Anal Cunt fanclub bonerbonerbonerbonerboner boner
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54210
Thanked 1,084 Times in 712 Posts

As a drummer, I have to say it's essential to use every drum in every track

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 01:00 AM   #29
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
As a drummer, I have to say it's essential to use every drum in every track

Advertisements

------------------