Suggestions for an affordable outboard 10+ band eq?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810
Suggestions for an affordable outboard 10+ band eq?

I'm looking into getting outboard effects to use with the daw. I don't like being so ITB, but I'm having trouble deciding on which eq I need. Mono is fine, 10+ bands or more, don't care if its a pedal or a rack unit.

The MXR M108s pedal looks good ($129), but I could get an older DBX 131 or Art 341 for almost half the price of the MXR ($75). Does anyone here send tracks from their daw out to an eq, and if so what do you use or suggest?

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 26660
Re: Suggestions for an affordable outboard 10+ band eq?

Schiit is rumored to be working on a bigger badder version of Loki, which is their band fixed eq with a focus on hifi. I'll let you know if anything comes of it, possibly this summer, but they're notoriously tight lipped about upcoming products. Still, with their track record, I would expect something extraordinary if anything comes of these rumors.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
relic (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:59 AM   #3
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 37960

I had a dbx 2015 years ago that I used for all sorts of things (mostly with a Fostex 4-track) and was really serviceable. In fact, all the dbx gear I've ever used was pretty decent for the money. I haven't owned anything by them lately, but it might be a starting point.

That said, I really wouldn't be looking at an EQ for outboard gear. They're useful but not that interesting. You're not going to get the cool sort of coloration off most EQs that you would out of a hardware compressor/limitor or 90s reverb or muliteffects unit. I'd be looking at something like an MPX-100 or 200 or an ADA MP-1 or an dbx 1066 as a cool and affordable starting point for outboard.

For what it's worth, I've used a lot of outboard EQs in various scenarios, and I'd trade them all for the FabFilter Pro-Q2.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:33 AM   #4
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
I had a dbx 2015 years ago that I used for all sorts of things (mostly with a Fostex 4-track) and was really serviceable. In fact, all the dbx gear I've ever used was pretty decent for the money. I haven't owned anything by them lately, but it might be a starting point.

That said, I really wouldn't be looking at an EQ for outboard gear. They're useful but not that interesting. You're not going to get the cool sort of coloration off most EQs that you would out of a hardware compressor/limitor or 90s reverb or muliteffects unit. I'd be looking at something like an MPX-100 or 200 or an ADA MP-1 or an dbx 1066 as a cool and affordable starting point for outboard.

For what it's worth, I've used a lot of outboard EQs in various scenarios, and I'd trade them all for the FabFilter Pro-Q2.
I was looking at getting a DigiTech rp360 but it's eq is only 3 band and I really want more control than that hence looking for a 10 band to put before the DigiTech. I know I can eq ITB but feel like I could better dial in the tone I want if I can actually touch it.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
Thanks to oDDgOD
Artificer (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:35 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Anal Cunt fanclub bonerbonerbonerbonerboner boner
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54210
Thanked 1,084 Times in 712 Posts

If you're not above pedals, I think boss makes some that are up to 20 bands. Will look for a source, but I had the same idea once upon a time

Edit: Those Digitech's in the RP line are still worth it for various other outboard effects, especially if you really like to dial things in by hand

Last edited by Vault O))); 09-05-2018 at 05:20 AM..

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
I was looking at getting a DigiTech rp360 but it's eq is only 3 band and I really want more control than that hence looking for a 10 band to put before the DigiTech. I know I can eq ITB but feel like I could better dial in the tone I want if I can actually touch it.
Gotcha. My point is EQs aren't very special as far as sound goes and they're generally transparent until you get into valve based parametrics like Pultecs and Manelys (which are seriously expensive kit). I'd just buy whatever's in your price range and give it a shot. If I was buying new, I'd likely consider one of those Behringer Ultrawhatever 15 band jobs, or maybe the dbx 215 as they're both cheap and will probably work as well as anything else. I've got a Boss GE-7 that's sat between my guitars and amps for over a decade and it's a pretty good EQ that can be had on the cheap, though it may be on the noisy side for outboard work.

------------------

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Old 09-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
though it may be on the noisy side for outboard work.
And that's my concern. I know a lot of these eqs are fine for live performance, but I'm hoping to find something that is quiet enough for recording and on all instruments, but I'm starting to doubt I'll find one in my price range.

------------------
Old 09-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Artificer
Ghostly
Southern Hell

I don't remember my 2015 being overly noisy, but it's possible I wasn't paying as much attention back then. It certainly wasn't anywhere as bad as my GE-7. You're certainly right that most graphic EQs are made for live sound. I rarely see them in pro recording studios (where they just love those expensive parametric EQs, and for good reason). Even then, tech has come a long way and I wouldn't rule out a dbx or Berhinger as a possibility, just make sure you get one with a return policy.

The GE-7 is so noisy because of the TL022 chips it uses, which were bargin basement and had terrible rating for sound. Swapping them out to TL072s and changing out the shitty RC tant caps turns it into a world class stomp box (with the tradeoff of eating batteries or requiring a wall wart). I can't imagine that even the cheapest rackmounts would be that bad.

Another option might be using a VST with a control surface, something like a Korg Nanocontrol2, mapped to whatever bands you want. I know it's not quite as immediately tactile, but it'd give you physical feedback as well as being useful beyond just an EQ. I dunno, just spit balling at this point.

Last edited by Artificer; 09-05-2018 at 04:46 PM..

------------------

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Old 10-05-2018, 04:18 AM   #9
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 173710
Thanked 3,474 Times in 2,073 Posts

I use an old Orban 674a. Eight fully parametric bands... 16 when channels linked.

People ask a lot of cash for them but you may get lucky and find one for 200-300 like me.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I use an old Orban 674a. Eight fully parametric bands... 16 when channels linked.

People ask a lot of cash for them but you may get lucky and find one for 200-300 like me.
Last time I asked around about a hardware EQ this is what was recommended to me.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote