Demonstrations Using Talented Keyboardists
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160
Product Demos Using Talented Keyboardists: Deceptive?

It Sorta Irks me all the Demos for synths and sample libraries out there that use an accomplished keyboardist to Demo the capabilities. They always play some intricate piece that sounds a lot like preset songs on a yamaha keyboard. Little Jazzy, a lot of the stuff they play would be suitable in a Jazzy Poetry night club or a bar. That sorta sound from 20 years or even further back. But then you go to the song DEMOS of some of these products and NOT A SINGLE one sounds like it has commercial quality. Well... maybe like some infomercials maybe but not cinematic/epic/big/ sounds that can be found in movies, electronic music, etc. Basically their musical ability, I believe, is masking the lower quality of the product. Am I way off here? What do you think?

Last edited by Bluesh1ft; 07-08-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bluesh1ft
Daggit (14-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535327
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,241 Posts
Re: Demonstrations Using Talented Keyboardists

this is contrary to a lot of synth demos where some dude plunks around and says, well... im not really a keyboard player.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39460

If you can't play with the dynamics / expressiveness of a professional keyboardist, join the club. The same thing happens when you buy a drum kit - no shit, you're not as good as the guy who sold it to you, so it's always going to be a disappointment if you think you'll be able to pull it off.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Daggit (14-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33060

Yeah, I think you're off here. We're not talking about a violin or a piano where there's a defining physical interaction between player and instrument that creates the sound. Because of the nature of the instrument, that synth sounds exactly the same when I play it badly as when Jordan Rudess jams on it. If you think 'wow, that pad sounds amazing!', that pad is absolutely available to you. The quality of playing doesn't affect the quality of the sounds. If you're unable to discern the difference it's a matter of perception and understanding on your end.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
Daggit (14-09-2017)
Old 14-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Some thoughts about this:
- if the presets have velocity and aftertouch assignments and other modulation assignments for MIDI controllers (such as making use of Serums 4 macros), demo songs can use this extensively
- simpler demos might just play the main sound without automating or changing anything such as macros, mod, pitch or even velocity
- good chord progressions can make a "normal" pad sound really nice, combined with stuff like aftertouch or modulation this might lead to massive differences compared to someone just triggering a few notes

This is not necessarily a matter of preset quality imho - some preset packs are made for more classical playing styles and depend on making use of velocity and aftertouch, others are made for modern controllers and focus more on macro assignments, others are made more for just programming melodies and feature a lot of automatic modulation but nothing controllable and sound great but always the same...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Metaside
Daggit (14-09-2017)
Old 14-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

I pretty much agree with all you guys on this.
I actually used to be a talented keyboardist too, until my nerve damage and memory problems from medical malpractice of misprescribed drugs.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
this is contrary to a lot of synth demos where some dude plunks around and says, well... im not really a keyboard player.
+1

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181060
Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,700 Posts
Re: Product Demos Using Talented Keyboardists: Deceptive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
It Sorta Irks me all the Demos for synths and sample libraries out there that use an accomplished keyboardist to Demo the capabilities. They always play some intricate piece that sounds a lot like preset songs on a yamaha keyboard. Little Jazzy, a lot of the stuff they play would be suitable in a Jazzy Poetry night club or a bar. That sorta sound from 20 years or even further back. But then you go to the song DEMOS of some of these products and NOT A SINGLE one sounds like it has commercial quality. Well... maybe like some infomercials maybe but not cinematic/epic/big/ sounds that can be found in movies, electronic music, etc. Basically their musical ability, I believe, is masking the lower quality of the product. Am I way off here? What do you think?
While I totally agree with what the rest of the guys have posted here, I also get what you mean..I think.

I've watched demos in the past for preset packs and samples and they have sounded out of this world, but when I've gone to use them myself, they've sounded flat and dead compared to how they sounded in the demo. My take on this is the reason for this is not the presets or samples directly, but how you, as an artist, use them after the fact.

Those sounds you heard in the demo are the same ones you now think are shit..the only difference is how you've processed them on your end of things. The sounds have, in most cases, been recorded as clearly and as uncolored as possible, meaning it's up to you to add FX and filters to them to make them come to life in your mix. In other words, it's more about your mixing skills than it is about the sounds themselves. Think of them are a starting point..an ingredient in the mix ( pun intended) that you need to add and you are supposed to know how much you need to add. I've bought sounds in the past for use with NI's Kontakt and they sounded nothing like they did in the demo, but when I edited them, man did they shine!

That's not to say you don't get complete crap sounds out there..you do, but you can usually tell they're crap up front, as they'll sound "off" or "sub-par" in the demo to begin with. I don't know if that makes any kind of sense to you, but that's my experiences when it comes to this topic.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #9
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

This video of world renowned pianist herbie hancock lying through his arse trying to sell a korg keyboard is so weird to watch

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
A.M (21-09-2017)